Forums

ABC - Christians, homophobia & trying hard to follow Jesus

Page: 1

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
December 6, 2011, 22:35

The original article can be found at: http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2011/12/02/3382170.htm

Christians, homophobia and trying hard to follow Jesus (David Pocock on ABC Radio, 2011)

In the lead up to the World Cup I was pursued by the Bible Society to be part of a project that brought together international sporting personalities to write about their faith to be included in a publication of the Bible.

To be honest, I found it hard to know what I could "add" in value to the Bible and thought maybe the words of some sport stars might be a distraction rather than help. I also thought there's no shortage of people talking about the Christian faith, so my approach should be to get on with trying to follow Jesus and hope people might see something in my life that looks like him.

For all these reasons, I was tempted to say no.

But I know how much it meant to me to be able to look up to people who were unashamed of the Gospel of love and the God of peace. Dorothy Day, one of my heroes, said, "If I have achieved anything in my life, it is because I have not been embarrassed to talk of God."

I'm only twenty-three and there is a lot I want to do. Like many Christians my age, I'm looking to the example of amazing women and men like Dorothy Day and trying not to be embarrassed when talking about God – or, I want to do it without embarrassing God!

I'm not at all ashamed of my faith but I'm often embarrassed to be associated with much that passes for Christianity but that looks nothing like Christ.

So with all of that in mind, I wrote a piece to express my faith journey. Sadly, the Bible Society decided not to include my contribution.

The full article can be found at: http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2011/12/02/3382170.htm

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
December 6, 2011, 22:36

My favourite quote from the article is:

"Like Desmond Tutu, sociologist and evangelist Tony Campolo and Baptist Pastor Matt Glover, I'm supportive of gay marriage, not despite my faith in Jesus, but because of it"

Princess _Fiona

Joined in 2011
December 6, 2011, 23:13

Hi HillsBen

I just on another site, reading through an article on Matt Glover and the reprecussion for his stance on marriage equality. This site lead me to The Age article written today. I read alot of the 100+ comments underneath The Age article and I was brought to tears (which isnt a common thing for me). It so sad to see Christians tearing each other apart on this issue. I'm a advocate for marriage equality, but to read how most of these comments were put was distressing. I could almost feel God's heart over this

Thank you so much for adding this article, it came at the most perfecting timing for me tonight. There should be more people like this, who show the love of Christ to all and are willing to stand up for that. I noticed comments underneath it and avoiding reading any more for tonight. I'm ending my night with the impact that God does so care for these issues, which is a first for me.

Once again thanks for posting this. Have a great night (whats left of it).

Hugs

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
December 7, 2011, 23:00

Great article, Ben. Thanks for posting.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 8, 2011, 20:25

Hi Ben

Another great article. Thanks for posting it. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.