Forums

Adam Sutton - Australia's Gay Cowboy

Page: 1

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 23, 2011, 13:49

Hi all

I found this link after seeing a re-run of Adam’s story on ABC ‘s Australian Story last night. Adam was the reallife cowboy that Heath Ledger based his character on in Brokeback Mountain.

http://www.outinperth.com/index.php/life/people/australias-gay-cowboy-to-visit-fairday

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 23, 2011, 13:53

Hi again

And here’s the Australian Story link: http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2006/s1620346.htm

with program transcript http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2006/s1623148.htm

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Boi70

Joined in 2007
January 23, 2011, 14:30

I never saw the original viewing of Adam’s story – had heard about it – but missed it. The following were just a few of my thoughts during and after I watched it, and even some of the conclusions that I had come to before – but which were confirmed yet again for me yesterday.

So, yes, I was watching it yesterday afternoon – I just had to watch it once I realised it was on again. It is definitely a very moving story – one which so many of us can relate to. And yes, I had a bit of a cry in certain parts of it. :((

I suppose we all express our denial in some way, even to the point of an ‘angry’ or ‘defiant’ denial – as he did to his parents or to the other guy at the gay bar when confronted with the question or someone within the gay community. It makes you wonder – who are we hiding from? Ourselves? or Others? or both?

In so many ways, the ‘Coming out’ journey is as much about our accepting ‘ourselves’ as it is about others (family, friends, strangers, work collegues) accepting us. And sometimes, it is not in that particular order. Adam’s mother’s response to him, when he told her he was gay, was ‘he lied to me before when he told me he wasn’t gay’ and ‘I was afraid that he would change, or his life would take a different direction’ was particularly real to myself.

And then when his father said, ‘if I had known when he was in his adolscence, I could have been there, given him someone to talk to’ – well, those comments and the fact that his father’s eyes welled up with tears. That one just made me blubber. :((

Anyway, it was an amazing story. The journalist in the story, actually talked about teen suicide, and how with Adam sharing his story, it can help us know that we are not alone – that there others who have either walked the same or very similar paths, and that being GLBT is not about being a ‘stereotype’ – but being ourselves.

Freedom2Be is a forum where we can feel safe, and know that we are reading the comments and stories of people who understand and know where we are at, and who will encourage us to explore who we are with honesty and courage – to meet ourselves – to accept ourselves, and to know that God hasn’t put an obstacle in our lives, that stops his love and stops us having a meaningful relationship with him. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 23, 2011, 14:45

Hi Jason

Thanks so much for your comments. Yes, it was a moving story and I too was moved by his father’s response and regrets for not being able to ease his boy’s adolescence.

I agree that coming out involves self acceptance, probably moreso than others’ acceptance, although that comes into it of course. And our own acceptance is influenced and shaped by environmental factors, including the responses of those closest to us.

The journalist did a great job and I think it’s excellent that he mentioned about LGBT teen suicide.

I also think what a blessing it was that Adam met Heath Ledger. I liked how Adam’s view of movie stars was changed by that encounter, that he found Heath and others in the business very broad minded and different to what he expected. That moved me too.

I think Adam was hardest on himself re his homosexuality and if he wasn’t it might have been easier to come out. Not that there wasn’t homophobia in his community, but he expected the same rage from others as he had within, which is sad. And this comes back to your point about self acceptance being key to being able to come out.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 24, 2011, 18:11

I’ve met Adam several times. He was on the inaugural list of the 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians. Very genuine down to earth guy. His story is very powerful and particular relevant to those who live in rural areas or feel they dont fit the gay male stereotype.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.