Forums

Baptist Pastor with Gay Son speaks about Gay stuff and the Bible!!

Page:   1 2

loveisnotsin

Joined in 2008
September 2, 2008, 20:03

Wow, Foster, that was the best explanation I’ve read in my search. It explains so much, and I actually just posted statements and questions about my own confused search. Thank God that he inspires learned Christians to post what he places on their hearts.

Kevin

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 26, 2008, 23:41

I think someone like Foster having a gay son takes these things from a place of the theology and belief to something that is real.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 31, 2009, 01:11

Did you see this

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3998

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 4, 2010, 13:43

just changed the title to this so that people can identify it more clearly.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 4, 2010, 14:43

Hi avb

Thanks for reposting this link which I hadn’t seen before. I found the article easy to follow and encouraging.

Foster refers to Rom 1:18 – 32, where “Paul is discussing people who deny God for idolatry. The result is foolishness, a perversion of their sexual nature and all kinds of lawlessness and evil.” I like how he points out that when this verse is used to speak against gay people, it doesn’t make sense alongside the argument that we were born this way. Therefore we are not perverting anything unless we knowlingly live a lie to be heterosexual.

Defining the “perversion of their sexual nature” is the part I’m not so sure about however and would like to offer a different view. In one interpretation, I have heard it said that the perversion of sexual nature may not be referring to gay people at all but possibly to the drunken orgies of the time that involved every conceivable excess as well as pedophilia (later referred to in the article as pederasty) and beastiality. And we know that the abuses that went on in Sodom and Gomorrah have nothing to do with homosexuality and everything to do with violence and hate crimes. It annoys me that certain acts or different groups get lumped together (ie. homosexuals and rapists/pedophiles) when this is a ridiculous association.

I agree that it’s all made simpler if we interpret laws according to love and where there are unclear passages or seeming contradictions, that we always put love first rather than the law. I think it also helps to examine the fruits of ours and others’ lives and see if love is the outcome.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 4, 2010, 16:51

and I had the privilege of attending the guys commitment ceremony……officiated by the author of this article…..it was very special.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 4, 2010, 22:45

I’m sure that would have been delightful. A real treat … and day of celebration:)

davidt

Joined in 2009
April 5, 2010, 17:44

I was most encouraged to read how the Lord has worked in Foster’s life, and I am sure the guys commitment ceremony was a wonderful time.

Obviously having a gay son helped change his attitude but also how the Lord lead him through the Scriptures was just amazing.

It seemed to me, the other area in which the Lord has worked is slavery. 1 Peter 2:18 says “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.” This text and others were used for many years to condone slavery saying, “It is scriptural…look what the Word of God says”.

What changed? John Newton (a slave trader) and Wilberforce saw first hand the conditions of the slaves and how many of them had died on the slave ships.

What texts did God use to change their hearts? On the wall of John Newton’s house in Olney, UK, are these two texts which God used to change his attitude towards slaves. Deut 15:15 “Remember you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you.” Secondly Is 43:4 “Since you are precious and honoured in my sight, and because I love you…”

It look 17 years, but slavery was eventually abolished.

When I read a story like this, I was thrilled and really encouraged to see how the Lord has worked. Please do it again Lord !!!

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.