"Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers."

Page:   1 2 3 4

Shane Cathcart
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
April 26, 2009, 00:27

“Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers…”

Remember that verse from 2 Corinthians.

In Freedom 2 b[e] we are all from similar backgrounds. Some no longer call themselves Christian, some have redefined beliefs, some have put things on hold for a time and others call themselves gay Christians. All our welcome and honoured in our space.

For those of us from Pentecostal/Evangelical backgrounds are very familiar with the command of the Apostle Paul ‘Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers’ suggesting that Christians should only ever marry other Christians. It was always a part of our church culture (I used to preach it). Paul goes on to say ‘what fellowship has darkness with light’. Heavy stuff.

So what about gay and lesbian relationships?

1. Should a gay Christian only date a gay Christian?

2. What should I look for in a partner?

3. Is a person’s belief system an important criteria? Why or why not?

4. If you are with someone from a non-church background does that cause any particular difficulties? If so what?

5. What does the person from the non-church background need to know and what are their needs?

6. Do you still have ‘stuff’ from your time in the church that impacts your relationships?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 2, 2009, 13:07

Our discussion night on this last night was probably one of the best nights we’ve had. Over 30 attended. We broke up into 3 groups of 10 to give more people time to share. Please let us know your thoughts as well as outcomes from the discussion on this thread.

Sparrow77

Joined in 2007
May 2, 2009, 17:16

I didn’t make it last night – was sad to miss out. Maybe next time 🙂

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 3, 2009, 14:02

T’was a great night. I really enjoyed hearing and contributing to the discussion 😀 I think the main takeout point for me was yes it would be ideal if we all had Christian partners but … we don’t live in an ideal world 8) From my group discussion, there will be various attractions to people who don’t have a faith and/or have a different faith but this is certainly no impediment to a successful relationship 😀 Definately should have another session on this topic, me thinks 😆

Linda
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2006
May 3, 2009, 22:17

I think Us Melbourne chapter will have to do this topic, sounds great. Thanks for the idea!!

superbbluewren

Joined in 2005
May 4, 2009, 18:58

It is difficult enough for straight people to find the right partner. As we are choosing from a pool that is about a tenth in size, we do have to make more compromises.

My ex-wife has married an atheist, and I find his comments about churches as ignorant and based on stereotypes as the comments made by many of my gay friends. But behind the apparent differences, they essentially share the same values.

Equally I know couples, gay and straight, where one partner is staunchly Labor and the other staunchly Liberal. Again, underneath those differences, they share basically the same values. And each would argue strongly that the party of their allegiance supports their values more than the other!

I think making ‘rules’ about the kind of people that we have a successful relationship with is unnecessarily narrow and restrictive. It is necessary to get behind cultural and intellectual differences to the person.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 4, 2009, 20:20

I think Us Melbourne chapter will have to do this topic, sounds great. Thanks for the idea!!

i think it was definitely one of our highlights.

I like what you’ve been doing in melbourne as well….the series on the young men shall see visions…old men shall dream dreams……looking at what old and young gay and lesbian people have to contribute to each other.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 4, 2009, 20:23

T’was a great night. I really enjoyed hearing and contributing to the discussion 😀 I think the main takeout point for me was yes it would be ideal if we all had Christian partners but … we don’t live in an ideal world 8) From my group discussion, there will be various attractions to people who don’t have a faith and/or have a different faith but this is certainly no impediment to a successful relationship 😀 Definately should have another session on this topic, me thinks 😆

I hovered around the groups……but it seemed from what I heard that values were far more important than a persons beliefs…..did i get that right.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 4, 2009, 20:31

Values, thats what was important with my g/f and myself, she isnt one who believes which wasnt a big deal to me but where her values lay did and the fact she didnt belittle the fact that I was a believer and her moral standards are fairly high, she also supports anything that is important to me and vice versa 😀

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 4, 2009, 20:49

I hovered around the groups……but it seemed from what I heard that values were far more important than a persons beliefs…..did i get that right.

Yes that was the general concensus, although beliefs were more important to a couple of people in my group.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.