Forums

Blue Day...

Page: 1

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 18, 2010, 02:55

I am having a bit of a blue day today, or should I say a blue night, tonight. Whichever…

I’ve been in tears, on and off, all evening and can’t seem to put a cap on the leak… feel a bit like BP lol

It’s a combination of things, I suppose. I feel very isolated where I live and that’s not helped by the fact that I am not a very confident driver, so I can’t just go and jump in my car and go somewhere else. We live in a country town, which is quite insular and hard to break into what small social scene there is, and as for finding a church… well, forget about it. 🙁

I am on a pension so I don’t even have the social contact I used to get from my job and workmates and I moved away from them when I came out here to settle down with my partner, but this is not just something that has come up, overnight.

It feels as though I have spent the majority of my life being misunderstood by people and misunderstanding them as well. I guess I have formed a habit of being reactive to protect myself from that. And because I am reactive, and can be snappish and downright cranky, that doesn’t make establishing friendships any easier.

I always say that I move to the beat of a drum which no one else can hear, and most of the time that is fine. I am a loner, and a bit of a hermit, and I suppose I bring a lot of this on myself by not being the type to seek social interaction very much. When I do seek it, I want just so much, and no more and I know that you can’t just turn friendship on and off. I also know that being the way I am, doesn’t make things any easier when I do feel the need for interaction. :~

Woe is me, huh? I’m just feeling my ‘difference’ tonight, and thought I would post about it here to see if it helped to get it out into the open.

It might just be the usual doldrums I get into when I am nearly finished writing a book (as I am right now) So maybe it will pass and I will be okay again once I just get the thing finished and start tearing my hair out over rewrites! :glasses:

Thanks for ‘listening.’

RaulG

Joined in 2010
July 18, 2010, 06:24

Dearest Magz,

Thank you for sharing yourself with us. Too often, we find ourselves worn down and tired out by our constant interactions with society, whether in general or with our immediate environment.

Even if full scale vacations are out of the ordinary, I always recommend that my stressed out clients take what I like to call, an “hour long holiday”: every day you should take an hour to “unplug” and do something that has nothing at all to do with anything that has happened to you this week. Now for some people that’s the same activity every time and for some it changes on a whim.

I, for example, spend my “hour long holiday” watching videos of the old Muppet Show and getting a good laugh.

The point is to separate yourself from the stress and tedium, thus giving your mind a chance to recoup.

As for not finding a church in your area…I take it you’ve checked this directory: http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/find_a_church.htm

I hope this is useful.

Stay upright and strong!

Yours,

Raul

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 18, 2010, 06:54

Hi Meg

It’s hard being lonely and cut off from others.

I like Raul’s idea of the hour-long holidays. It reminds me of making a commitment to go on dates with the artist within. Julia Cameron suggests that in her book, ‘The Artist’s Way’.

I don’t have any pearls of wisdom but think I can relate to some of what you’re feeling, Meg. Thanks for sharing yourself just as you are.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 18, 2010, 16:19

Thanks, Raul &Ann Maree for your responses I do think I need a break and I’m thinking of getting out for an hour or two sometime this week. I will go see a movie or something.

Thanks again.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
July 19, 2010, 22:07

I, for example, spend my “hour long holiday” watching videos of the old Muppet Show and getting a good laugh.

Hi Raul,

I’m also a fellow Muppet lover. It’s good to see someone else share that interest. I think they were actually ahead of their time compared to what was around in that same genre.

I’ve also posted about the Muppets, notably Kermit The Frog, in another thread for you 🙂

Hi Meg,

I hope you’re feeling better now.

Yep, when you’re away from friends and loved ones it’s easy to feel disconnected. Even though we have the internet and mobile phones, it still can get lonely. We only have to look at the aviation industry to understand that you can’t beat the personal touch! Thousands of people flying all over the world to meet face-to-face when they obviously could talk on the telephone.

I think it also shows that us mods also need a bit of encouragement and support from time to time 🙂

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 19, 2010, 23:55

Thanks, Pierre,

I have made some plans to meet up with my kids a couple of times this week, and that’s given me something to look forward to in the short term. I’m still pondering on ways that I can connect to a social outlet in the long term…I can’t live in my kids’ pockets after all. I need to find something else I can do. Maybe even see a movie once every couple of weeks.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 21, 2010, 16:50

I had a lovely afternoon with my eldest son and his girlfriend today. We had lunch chatted about everything, and just chilled out together for a couple of hours. It was great!

Spending the day with my eldest daughter tomorrow and going to the Prejudice & Pride Exhibit at the museum. That should be an interesting day.

I have lifted out of my doldrums a little bit, been meditating and trying not to stress so much and it’s helping.

The love, compassion and encouragement I have received here on the forum has been wonderful as well.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 21, 2010, 18:49

That’s great to hear, Meg. 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 26, 2010, 23:14

I had a lovely afternoon with my eldest son and his girlfriend today. We had lunch chatted about everything, and just chilled out together for a couple of hours. It was great!

Spending the day with my eldest daughter tomorrow and going to the Prejudice & Pride Exhibit at the museum. That should be an interesting day.

I have lifted out of my doldrums a little bit, been meditating and trying not to stress so much and it’s helping.

The love, compassion and encouragement I have received here on the forum has been wonderful as well.

sorry to hear about the blue day Meg.

I guess we are very fortunate in Sydney and Melbourne to have real people in the flesh to connect with. As wonderful as the internet is…….a space none of us had for years and were sooo alienated……….there is no substitute for the one on one or group interaction.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.