Forums

Church allegedly tells gay man to straighten up

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2011, 15:03

Have a look at this Video. http://www.3news.co.nz/Church-allegedly-tells-gay-man-to-straighten-up/tabid/367/articleID/195780/Default.aspx

What do you think really went on here?

A Christchurch man claims he was told to straighten up by churches he attended in the city, or leave the church.

Stylist Andhy Blake says when he came out as gay he was dumped by his church and spiralled into depression.

Can a homosexual person switch orientation and go straight?

And a very different question, should a homosexual person ever be required to go straight?

Campbell Live reporter Whena Owen reports.

freeme

Joined in 2011
January 26, 2011, 15:14

Hi there everyone,

I was in church for years and always heard that said over and over again. We heard that gay’s need to get “delivered from spirit of lust”, “bind the spirit of homosexuality and cast it out”, “pray and repent of that foul demon spirit” etc etc.

I was prayed over a number of times and was told ” now go and live clean???” but none of the above helped me and the reason was because i couldn’t cast out, get rid of ” WHO I WAS “!!! wasn’t about being,getting straight,it was about conforming to their doctrine and way of doing things.

I now know that being gay is great,normal,right for me and God is cool about it and He loves me just the way i am. Thank you God You Are Awesome!!!

It is soooo leberating to be comfortable with who you are and to celebrate and enjoy it.

Cheers

Freeme

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 26, 2011, 15:19

In my previous life as a preacher…….The Majestic in Christchurch is one of the many churches I preached in………hehe. Different pastor of course in those days…..it was still the founder Peter Morrow.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 26, 2011, 17:38

Hi avb

Thanks for posting. Actually I wondered whether the senior pastor was gay himself, except his teeth didn’t really fit with my idea of that. And when he talked of Jacob having a bit of a limp, I did chuckle as he was pointing out that we all have something we need help with. I couldn’t help but notice his teeth and thought he needed a bit of a miracle there! I know, very uncharitable of me. God and others, please forgive me.. hehe

Anyway, I got the impression that the church was trying to convert the man shown. They tried to say it was all directed by him and not them but I have no doubt they were really directing/manipulating the process. Like freeme said above, I’ve heard it all before with the lines the church uses. And although they said he was welcome to return as with any gay people, I’m fairly sure that was with conditions. He and others would be expected to attend prayer deliverances and live as if heterosexual. In other words, deny their true selves and lie. Very ex-gay. And when the guy said that he ended up sleeping with the supposedly cured ex-gay man, meant to be helping to straighten him out, that sounded very ex-gay to me. Proof again that those methods don’t work because orientations can’t be changed.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Boi70

Joined in 2007
January 26, 2011, 18:12

Interesting and sad perspective from the pastor of this church! I just cant help but feel sorry for this church and every other church leader and member who continues to deny us access to a church. 🙁

The best thing is that they can not deny us access into the presence of god. :bigsmile:

I know for a long time during my early years, I feared that I was ‘possessed’ by some evil spirit, but struggled to find some incident in my life, where I could possibly have let something in. Later, I rationalised that the ‘gay’ temptations were external evil spirits ‘oppressing’ me.

I know now that both ideas were simply wrong – based on endless messages heard from pulpits or from other Christians or by my own perception of God’s plan for my life, and his love. 0:)

I am who I am! God created me this way! None of us, can pretend to be something fundamentally different to the person that we are on the inside. We may be able to change the way that we express ourselves, much as I might choose to not say something – but we can’t deny who we are on the inside!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 26, 2011, 18:26

Hi Jason

Yes, very true – we can’t deny who we are on the inside. I believe that who we are is a gift that needs full expression, including being LGBT, which is a beautiful part of our beings. This reminds me of the following scripture included in my signature:

Jesus said: “If you bring forth that which is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.” Gospel of Thomas, saying 70.

If we’re not true to ourselves and suppress aspects of self, including sexuality, I believe there is the potential for it to damage or destroy us in the end. A secret like that can eat us alive. Conversely, being who we are in an open way brings healing and abundant life.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Boi70

Joined in 2007
January 26, 2011, 18:35

Thanks Ann Maree :bigsmile:

Yes, very true – we can’t deny who we are on the inside. I believe that who we are is a gift that needs full expression, including being LGBT, which is a beautiful part of our beings. This reminds me of the following scripture included in my signature:

Jesus said: “If you bring forth that which is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.” Gospel of Thomas, saying 70.

If we’re not true to ourselves and suppress aspects of self, including sexuality, I believe there is the potential for it to damage or destroy us in the end. A secret like that can eat us alive. Conversely, being who we are in an open way brings healing and abundant life.

That is so true. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 26, 2011, 18:54

Thanks Jason. 🙂

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
January 26, 2011, 23:24

I love that quote that you have from the gospel of Thomas, Ann Maree. It’s so true. All the years that I spent hiding my true self from myself and everyone else, nearly killed me. I still bear the physical and mental consequences of that to this day, and now I am free because I admitted to who I truly am.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.031 seconds.