Forums

Claims that Gay People Abuse Children

Page:   1 2 3

wednesdays

Joined in 2012
August 5, 2013, 21:58

Hi all,

I’m hesitant about posting this because I know it’s really offensive (I was offended by it) but hopefully this and the subject line is enough warning to people.

So yesterday I was at the church that I’ve been attending since I moved to this town in February. The pastor got up and said that he would be preaching about marriage and that what he said would not be politically correct. That was a warning bell of course but I’ve seen he has a good heart so I stayed with it.

He then went on to say that there are many different views of marriage in society today but as Christians, we should be concerned, not with our own opinions of what marriage is or should be, but with what God says it is. He said that the culture says that we all define our own truths and the result of that is that, whereas not so long ago, it was socially unacceptable for people to live together outside of marriage, now de facto relationships are considered normal and even desirable.

Similarly, he said, people are beginning to accept that children can be raised by gay and lesbian couples. Then he referred to the gay couple in Brisbane who were recently charged with abusing their son. He said they were the poster children of the gay movement, even featured on the ABC, but now they’ve each been sentenced to 40 years in prison, and that’s what happens when people depart from God’s view of marriage.

I was so incensed and offended that I got up and walked out. It was only 5 minutes into the sermon and maybe I should have stuck around to hear his conclusions but I felt that if I stayed, I would be silently acquiescing to his claim that it's virtually inevitable that if gay couples have children, they'll abuse them. So I left.

I’m not sure what I want to do next. I want to point out to him that the majority of kids are abused by straight people. I want to tell him he’s stupid 😉 … and offensive… but don’t know if that’s wise or even if I want to go back to that church.

Does anybody know offhand where I can find statistics about abuse by gay and straight parents? If I’m going to point out that he’s an idiot, I need more than just words <sigh>

Thanks y’all

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 7, 2013, 21:51

Hi Bernie

Personally, I would not enter into discussion with someone whose views are so extreme, emotional and unfounded on intelligent reasoning. When someone's beliefs are so fixed, they are unlikely to hear what you will say, no matter how factual your information. Beliefs and attitudes are very hard to shift as they are much, much deeper than facts and logic and this man sounds like he is operating in a highly emotional, prejudiced state.

Of course people can change and it is possible that this person may come to a more compassionate and reasonable conclusion in time. However this is not currently the case so I would suggest you leave him to his thinking and surround yourself with good people. Invest your energy into nurturing yourself and others rather than putting energy into convincing this person of another view. For now it seems he is not able to hear.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
August 8, 2013, 11:41

Hi Bernie,

Oh poor you – how awful to be sitting in church where you should be feeling nurtured – only to feel distressed and incensed.

Part of me agrees with Ann Maree – I'm not sure that with people with views like this that statistics and articles or debate to the contrary are going to serve any purpose.

The advice I took a few years ago from this forum has been to be with people and in places that are going to nurture and sustain me – and not to be in places where I am likely to feel un welcome or distressed. Now sometimes we don't have a lot of control over this – and sometimes, depending upon the investment we have with particular people or situations, it may not matter too much if someone has an idiotic or offensive view. That is – if it's a fleeting interaction or a superficial relationship – offensive views may not penetrate or matter too much.

It will be up to you I guess to determine what sort of church you want to be in. Some on this forum have made their peace with continuing to worship in churches where they know same sex relationships are spoken against. Others have left the church behind them. Others have found churches pretty much exclusively for the GLBTIQ community, and others have found churches that are affirming, inclusive – where gay and straight people worship and are welcomed together. And again, others have left the church for a while, and have returned at a later date.

I took the path of deciding that it would not be good for me to sit in a church and listen to hateful hurtful unloving words. I ended up finding an inclusive, welcoming church – where I know I will never hear the dumb, misinformed and offensive stuff spoken by your pastor.

Were I in your shoes, I may well be tempted to send an email along the lines of how hurtful and distressing I found his words and that while I understood that all of us are human, make mistakes, and that I'm sure that he too is just trying to do his best to share Christ's love in the world – but that for me – hearing those statements felt anything but loving, anything but compassionate and that all I could hear was judgment and rejection and that on that basis I would no longer be returning to the church and that I would continue to pray that he might come to know Christ's loving mercy and that he be opened up to express this to all people.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck in sorting this through.

Sarab

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
August 10, 2013, 21:17

Hi Bernie,

It's not nice to have to sit and listen to stuff that is just plain garbage. You did the right thing in walking out. Best thing is to vote with your feet. So great feedback and suggestions form other's.

These day's I don't think I would have walked out quietly though:)

God Bless

wednesdays

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2013, 21:31

Thanks Ann Marie, Sarab & Mother Hen. Part of the difficulty is that I live in a country town so there isn't a lot of choice in churches. I don't feel like I want to go back there but there isn't anywhere better, so it's a big decision. I think I will try to email him but what Ann Marie said is mostly right, I think. I need to do it without any expectation of the effect it will have.

I'm grateful for this place. Thank you 🙂

jamesn

Joined in 2009
August 18, 2013, 12:47

Some times silence is golden and it is better not to add fuel to the fire of hate & predujice by respoding, at other times it is simply unacceptable to be silence. Which one is right and when? I guess only the individual really knows what is best for them.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
August 18, 2013, 22:22

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for sharing that experience with us. I'm sure if I was in that situation I would have had a really horrible feeling in my gut, you know the burning rising up kind! 😐

Getting up and walking out is a strong statement anyway so you should be pleased about doing that 🙂

The fact that messages like that are still being shared is very sad.

Warm regards

Michelle

Truth v Lies
Disabled
Joined in 2012
August 18, 2013, 22:38

I guess we are all going to hear things we don't like in church because one of its objectives is to root out sin to be able to present to Jesus a pure bride without spot or wrinkle.

If God is speaking and it offends, perhaps church is not for you. If we want to mature as a person, it won't happen if everything is hunky dory. We all need challenge and working over from time to time to mature. As has been said, we don't mature through our successes. We mature through our failures.

When we are offended when someone says something we don't like, it indicates that we have some emotional need to be sorted out as a secure person doesn't get offended. He takes the rough with the smooth and lives to enjoy another day.

What you need to realise is that whatever church you are in you will hear the same story unless what is happening in the world doesn't interest them.

If it was me, I would be asking God if he was trying to tell me something and if he is, then I would be listening very carefully.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
August 18, 2013, 22:54

Hi truth vs lies

We appreciate that not everyone on the forum will agree with each other but we always try to offer support to those who post. Bernie has shared, what was for her, a very difficult experience and we try to acknowledge how that effected her, not negate it. I'm a little puzzled as to what you think God might be trying to tell her? We certainly have the right to be saddened, angry, disappointed, rejected, hurt etc when any church leader will make statements such as was experienced. If it is communicated by the LGBTI community that we will not sit back and accept this assumed stereotype then maybe the wider faith community will start to realise the damage their words can yield.

Warm regards

Michelle

Truth v Lies
Disabled
Joined in 2012
August 18, 2013, 23:31

Hi Michelle,

We do ourselves a disservice if all we want out of church is a nice, warm, fuzzy experience to satisfy our own needs.

Every week, someone somewhere is going to hear something they don't like in church such as the gifts of the Spirit are not for today when I know they are. Do I get in a huff and walk out? No. I feel sad for the person saying it. I hope I am mature enough to not get offended by other people expressing their views on any subject.

As I read it, the pastor wasn't using a stereotype, he was using an example to illustrate a point, which is common in preaching. He could well say the same about a heterosexual couple but that was not the subject he was addressing. A man like that will probably not be coy about using an example like that if he was discussing marriage generally.

As to what I think God is saying to him, I don't know. I was making a suggestion as I usually find that if I hear something I don't like, I find it wise to ask God what he is trying to say, if anything to me. I am not saying there is but to say there isn't is foolish so I always give God the benefit of the doubt.

As someone once said "If you can't find God, guess who has moved." I do hope that is not too cryptic for you.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.