Forums

Coming out and Self Acceptance!! My Story

Page: 1

jorocks

Joined in 2009
July 30, 2009, 20:25

Hi Everyone, I canโ€™t believe there is an awesome website and forum around for people like โ€˜usโ€™

I would like to share my story about my life and Journey so far and I know it will be a long one, but it is my story and me so I do apologise for it . I have just finished reading AVB book for the 2nd time.. and after emailing him he thought that there might be some one who might get something out of it, like i got out of AVB book… (although i haven’t been through as much)

Anyway.. here goes

I am the oldest of 3 and the only girl, so I felt enormous pressure on me to be the model child and also the one who could do anything as I was always looking out for my 2 younger brothers.

I was bought up in a Christian family and environment, we were active member in the AOG church and as a family valued the teachings of the church. As i grew up, my passion to work in the church grew and I even chose to go to Christian school for my later years of high school. As I become more and more active in my church life, I was involved in anything from Sunday School, Youth leadership, Kids club and I even attended a few Youth alivesโ€™ (they were/are awesome by the way) but under the surface of all of this I had a growing sense that something wasn’t right, there was something ‘wrong’ with me.

While all my church friends were starting relationships within the youth of the church, I wasn’t interested in ‘getting’ a boyfriend, the whole idea grossed me out at the time. I continued to throw myself into the church, hoping that I was just a late bloomer, but as time went on the feelings wouldn’t go away. In a desperate bid to see if I could be ‘normal’ I started seeing a guy in the youth group but after several weeks, I realised that I just wasn’t attracted to guys, I was in fact attracted to women.

When I came to this realisation, I freaked out!! How was I supposed to work in the church when I knew was I was feeling was going against everything i stood for and everything that I had worked so hard to achieve in the church. I felt ashamed and i had no idea how to deal with what I was going through.

One day while reflecting on the situation I was flicking through a gay magazine and found a number – the Gay ads Lesbian Switchboard, that had trained councillors answering the calls of confused GLBTI teens. I took the number down but I was so scared, if I called this number would everything I was fearing become true, would it confirm that I was a lesbian. In a moment of weakness (I was probably very upset over something) I rang them, as soon as I heard the reassuring voice on the other end of the line, I broke down, I started to cry and I think the poor women on the end of the phone thought that I was a nut case. But after talking to the women I realised that what I was feeling was normal and that there were other people out there that were going through exactly the same thing as me. I finally had the clarification that I needed, I was an lesbian, now I just had to work out what that meant.

I hadn’t told any one of my ‘secret’, I had kept it a secret for over 12 months, I was scared that if I did tell anyone I would lose my friends and my parents would disown me, but I knew that for me to accept who I was I need to tell them.

It has been one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do, but I did it.

I lost all of my ‘church friends’ (apparently I am on a fast track to hell now). My mum cried, my dad didn’t say much but I knew he was hurting, but I had told them and I had survived. I have now been openly ‘gay’ for over 8 years and have been in a long term relationship for nearly 7 years.

One of the things that I do miss about going to church is the fellowship and the feeling of belong to something, and maybe just maybe I can find that again through this community and maybe meet some of you in Melbourne.

Jo

๐Ÿ˜€

“Be true to your self cos no one else will”

“Don’t think about what could’ve been think about what could be!!”

Penny

Joined in 2008
July 30, 2009, 21:27

Hi Jo

Welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow, sounds like you have ben through a lot!

The F2B crew in Melbourne are great. Melbourne MCC is also a nice community, they have a new minister Joy & a contemporay service once a month.

Hope you find some connections & relationships with other Christians through here in Melbourne.

Penny ๐Ÿ™‚

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 31, 2009, 12:28

so glad you shared your story Jorocks……i’m sure many will relate to it…..especially when we realise we are one of those people who are supposed to be ‘evil’.

looking forward to meeting you at the next Melbourne F2B meeting…..yes I will be speaking…and also running a seminar on the Saturday. http://www.eventbrite.com/event/321489584

sman

Joined in 2009
July 31, 2009, 13:19

Jo thanks so much for sharing your story. Its really hard when you grow up in the church to be away from that “Community”. I know how it feels to have people turn their backs on you because they dont like your choices. Friends you thought you were close to aint as close as you thought. But there is hope and many of us in Melbourne just like you.

Anyways I really just wanted to thank you. Everytime someone shares something so close to their heart it is such a privalage to be able to hear it.

Anyways there is a message there about the Melbourne MCC. Ive only heard great things about that church and it would be a great place for you to reconnect with Christians who love and care for each other.

Hey I’m new to this too and Im gonna go to the Freedom 2 b(e) in Melbourne too maybe we can meet n say hi.

Shane.

jorocks

Joined in 2009
August 7, 2009, 20:01

Hi Everyone Again

Sorry for the delayed reply.. i have been flat out at work..

Thanks for you kind words and encouragement..

I am hoping to go to the melbourne seminar, if i can swing a day off and then convince myself that i can go as i will get something out of it.

After posting and telling my story, i have different, it has felt that i have had weight lifted off my shoulders and i feel that for the first time in years i can see with a new clarity.

I hope that anyone who has read it, may get something out of it and know that there are people out there that have faced similar things and felt the same way in point in their lives.

I hope i can meet up with a few of you on the 22nd!

Jo

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 8, 2009, 15:22

see you on the 22nd then…..you are no longer alone.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.