Forums

Coming Out to Christian Parents

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

jsta43catrocks

Joined in 2005
July 22, 2008, 13:51

My name is Jeffrey and I live in Ohio (US).

I realized I was gay when I was 14, but not totally convinced that I was born gay…

I wrote a letter to my “mum” when I was living in Cleveland, and working with being an alcoholic. (Dad died an alcoholic smoker. Brain tumor.)

She said that “she would love me no matter what” and tried to understand as best as she could. I think I took her to a PFLAG meeting, but she was VERY Baptist in her beliefs. She was trying to deal with the death of her husband, and here I am moving in with her, telling her that I’m gay, AND, having a diagnosed mental illness on top of that (bi-polar disorder), she had her hands full. So she became the secretary for our “manic-depressive/depressive support group.”

She later passed away of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. 🙁 🙁

YOUR letter is SO well-written and God-centric that they will do the best as they can to understand. Muchos kudos to you.

Jeff(rey)

P.S. Due to my depression (the phase lasted until this afternoon), I haven’t kept up on my e-mails, so I’m NOW just getting around to replying.

jsta43catrocks

Joined in 2005
July 22, 2008, 14:06

WOW!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

How LUCKY you are to have parents who are there for you as you go through your journey!!!

My prediction was right in that I’d thought your parents would support you.

I wish I lived in Australia so I could see and hug y’all.

Jeff(rey)

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
July 22, 2008, 14:07

Great to have you back again Jeff 😀 , very sad to hear about your folks but awesome your Mum took interest and supported you in every way. We are always here for you and everyone about 😉

jsta43catrocks

Joined in 2005
July 22, 2008, 14:19

Thanks.

It seems weird to have someone else awake at this hour.

It’s after midnight over here in America.

(I’m listening to the baseball game. Our Cleveland Indians are playing on the West Coast, so due to the time zones, it started at 10:00 p.m.; hence, I’m currently wide awake.)

Jeff(rey)

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
July 22, 2008, 16:25

Thats right, your baseball is like our aussie rugby league……WE LOVEEEE ITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 23, 2009, 12:35

I just put a link to your story Ben on my facebook page.

this is one way we can let more people know about freedom 2 b[e] and the important work we do.

Hope you dont mind. As all posts on this site are visible on the net I didn’t think it would be a problem.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 29, 2010, 22:34

put this on page one

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
March 29, 2010, 23:59

Wow…great to see this being brought up again.

Just an update: My parents are so amazing and supportive now. They have an amazing understanding of sexual orientation and are very loving of me.

It was a journey for them, as it was for me. It took alot of patience, grace and me teaching them for things to move forward. Don’t give up on your parents!!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 30, 2010, 12:56

Your Mum and Dad are amazing and as they have shared in our meetings the journey has brought so many blessings into their lives.

Moving from perceived anti-gay to now being advocates is quite a shift in a short space of time.

they are an inspiration as you are Ben.

N149

Joined in 2010
March 30, 2010, 13:07

Agreed! Awesome awesome story 🙂

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.1 seconds.