Forums

Confused and feeling alone.

Page:   1 2 3 4

2quik

Joined in 2010
December 1, 2010, 19:59

Hi 🙂

Well after reading some of the stories in here which might I add are heart breaking to read and I can totally empathise and have compassion for people’s stories and journeys, I decided to write my own.

I have been gay since I was born. I came out to my mom when I was 18 and now I am 32. I remember being so nervous and afraid to tell her, I also remember her saying to me that she thought she knew what I wanted to tell her but she wanted to hear the words from my mouth. To a certain degree my mum accepted it but there was rules, she didn’t really want to meet my partners eventually this changed somewhat but I think she found it really hard to watch me being with another woman. If I so much as held hands in front of my mum she would get upset about it. I always tried to be respectful but inside I was angry at her for alot of reasons. I was raised in a pentecostal church from a young age in South Africa and when my family and I relocated to Australia we continued to go to church for a while and then that was it, there was no more church, we just stopped going altogether.

My family life was very tumultuous to say the least, my mother and father were in a very unhappy marriage for 16 years, and I struggle to remember happy times with all of us as a family. Anyway for me being gay all came to the forefront when I came to Australia. I had my first experience with a girl at the age of 12 years old. I fooled around with her for years and just thought it was a phase I was going through and that I would grow out of it. Consequently this girl bought alot of upset into my life when I turned 16. She told her parents that I had been sexually abusing her and had done awful things to her. I came home from school to find my mom in tears, not talking to me and she had a friend over, at first I thought something had happened with mum and dad and then I saw the look her friend gave me and that was the defining moment I knew the beans had been spilled and my secret was out. I panicked, I felt ashamed, dirty, and I knew this was going to be world war three. Little did I know at the time how serious this was for me, I did not know the police had been called and that I could be charged for carnal knowledge as I was 16 and she was a year younger than me. I felt so so so betrayed by her, because I never ever once forced her to do anything she did not want to do.. she consented but what leg did I really have to stand on. I felt I didn’t and that I was going to jail for a crime that I was not guilty of. Somehow I don’t know how it happened but no police came, no charges were laid but I suffered in many other ways. It got spread around school, I was given a very hard time, I lost most of my friends and I was not allowed near her at all. Actually I remember the school guidance counsellor came lookking for me one day and said to me, you know you are not supposed to go near her, why did you. I did not know at all what she was talking about as far as I was concerned I wanted as much distance from her as possible so why would I go near her but again I was a liar. I got teased and on top of it all I felt deserted by my family.

That christmas my family left me sitting at home on my own to go and be with this girl and her family as it is what we did every year except I was not invited. That hurt me so deeply. I felt enough rejection as it was. So that was the beginning of my journey. In my later years my mum decided to turn to church again after my parents split up for the twentieth and final time. Things changed with my mom when this happened. She no longer wanted me being gay. I was and still am commiting a sin against God. I was to repent for my sins apparently. At the time I was too young to understand where she was going and where this had come from, I had also turned to a life of alcohol, drugs, sex and women. That was my life. All the years of a not so easy childhood, abuse in different forms had taken it’s toll on my life and the only way I knew how at the time to deal with the pain was alcohol and drugs. I became an alcoholic and a drug addict. The women was for love, I was trying to find the love and acceptance I craved, that I was worthy of it, that I deserved it and an escape from my former pathetic life. I also had absolutely turned my back on God.. I hated him and wanted nothing at all to do with him ever. I was disgusted in him beccause he made the rules that I was sinner and I was going to hell for being gay,, yet got told as well that he was a loving and forgiving God, but if I stayed gay then I would go to hell and God would not love me. So I thought to myself well I cannot help being gay, it is not a choice I am making it is who I am, I cannot change that no matter how hard I try so I accepted I was going to hell and turned my back on God.

Many years, drinks and drug escapades later, I gave it away. I gave up drugs, I gave up alcohol, God and I did this together. He gave me the strength and insight to do this. I have done so much counselling trying to sort out my life and have grown alot, still have alot of reparing to do but I have come an extremely long way. My dillemma now is I have been learning about God. I want him to be part of my life and I want to serve him and walk with God but I do not know how. I feel like I cannot even join a church because I don’t know where to go where I will be accepted. I know none of this is God’s doing and I am absolutely not going to hell and this is mans doing, not god’s doing. I now know God loves me unconditionally and he made me gay when I was born into this world. I just do not know how to make God part of my life. I don’t have any friends I can turn to really about this from a christian point of view anyhow. I have prayed and invited him into my heart, I have asked him to show me his plan for me and to help me walk with him in his path and to lead me where he wants me to go, not where I think I should go.

I have asked this and I have meant it… I am not very good at praying but is there a set way to pray to god for him to hear me, I don’t even know if he hears my prayers… I want to so much go to church and be baptised again, or re-born but I have no idea where to go because if EVER I have one person tell me I am sinning against God especially in a church I will have to use all my strength not to explode and scream and yell at them. That’s the truth because it’s a passionate subject for me. I sometimes feel like maybe I am not doing the right hings to have god in my life so I try to be a better person and pay very close attention to what I say and do in case I do something wrong and god abdanons me, I know this is an uncredibly unhealthy way of thinking and I do try hard to do the opposite of that and think that he has not abandoned me at all and that he wont, I feel like I should not even so much as perve at another girl as that would be a sin.. I am so confused and lost and would really like some helpful advice and courage to help me grow in the lord and how to do it. I don’t know what to believe or trust anymore. Anyway that is my story very much in a nutshell. I look forward to reading more stories and gaining some new perpective in my dillemas. Amen.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 1, 2010, 20:35

Hi 2quik

Welcome to our site! 🙂

Your story is very painful indeed and I’m really sorry those things happened to you.

In answer to your question about which churches to seek, why not check out our resources section where there is a list of LGBT welcoming churches.

And depending which city you are in, there are freedom 2 b[e] meetings once a month that are friendly and welcoming. They provide a place to meet other LGBT Christians who are supportive and understanding.

Regarding how to pray, I don’t believe there’s a set way that’s better than any other. I think it’s whatever works for you. I believe the scripture that says God grants the desires of our hearts. In your case, that surely means you will find the communion with God and supportive community you are looking for. I mean, those are good things to desire so why wouldn’t God want that for you?

I hope you find this forum to be a safe and supportive space. By the way, how did you find us?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

2quik

Joined in 2010
December 1, 2010, 22:08

Hi Ann Maree.

Thank you for welcoming me to your site. I chcekd out in your resources area in regards to gay affirming churches. I live on the Gold Coast and Brisbane is quite far from me and that’s the closest.. hopefully one will open up on the Gold Coast. I am not sure if there are any meeting near me but will check that out as well.

I just pray and talk to God from my heart… and how I feel. I thank him for dying for my sins on the cross and I ask him to come into my life and heart.

I found you by doing a search on Google for gay affirming churches on the Gold Coast. I am sure I will find this place supportive and safe.

2quik

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 1, 2010, 22:19

Hi 2quik

You are most welcome! We have a few people here from the Gold Coast and QL who will probably be able to offer some suggestions re potential local supports to you. Check out this link from the What’s on section: http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/565?page=1#comment-9856

There’s been talk of starting a f2b group in Brisbane although I’m not sure where we’re up to with that.

Anyway, it’s good to have you with us.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
December 1, 2010, 23:19

Hi 2quik. 🙂

I’m a gay 23 year old Christian guy from Brisbane. I’m heading down to the Gold Coast next weekend (9-12th) and I would be very happy to meet you for coffee, if you want to.

I have also felt isolated. I’ve spent that last couple of months searching for gay Christians up here in Queensland, and whilst it is not easy, I am finding some. So please be aware that you are not alone. There are people (on the GC I am sure) with whom you belong. I’ve only met guys so far though.

Let me know if you want to say hi.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 2, 2010, 00:54

hey 2quik…..so good to have you here and glad you found us.

Sydney Freedom 2 b[e] is cruising along well……..around 40 people each month…….Melbourne is now well established with around 30 each month…..both have youth groups now……..so Brisbane next eh.

Why dont you come and join us for mardi gras next year……it will be the fifth year we have marched. Its a great weekend …..something to consider anyway.

in the meantime hope to hear more from you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 2, 2010, 00:58

it can take some time to rid ourselves of negative beliefs and feelings about who we are……..time….. education….can help.

heal.

Connecting with us here in cyberspace will help I’m sure a bit with the feeling of alienation.

is there anything in particular you are confused about.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
December 2, 2010, 02:49

Hi 2quick and welcome to the forums. I am a gay Christian woman, 47 living with my partner on the Sunshine Coast. Quite a way away from you, sadly, but I do get down to the Gold Coast occasionally.

Have you considered the Salvation Army for a possible church. They have a positional statement about homosexuality at this link http://salvos.org.au/about-us/overview/documents/PositionalStatements07Feb06.pdf

While their approach is not perfect, it is definitely better than many churches. Is there a Salvation Army Church near you, perhaps?

One thing I would like to say, is that no one needs to know that you’re gay, unless you feel safe and confident in telling them you’re gay.

I am attending a small church near where I live and there are only three people who even know that I am gay and living with my same sex partner. They have varying levels of acceptance of my orientation, but they have not condemned nor have they shut the door in my face. I know that there are others in my church who would be judgemental and in my face if they knew, so I haven’t told them and I won’t tell them.

I think sometimes we feel that because we’re gay, we also have to be out to everyone, and that’s really not true at all. We only need to be out to people we trust and whom we care about and who care about us. The right to know such a thing about me, is something that people must earn. It’s a confidence and need only be shared with close friends.

I hope that this helps. I truly can relate to your sense of isolation. I look forward to knowing you better and I’m so glad you found us.

December 2, 2010, 15:47

Lots of good and helpful comments in response to your story 2quik….. I think the best prayers are the cries from our heart, whatever they may be 🙂 All the best.

2quik

Joined in 2010
December 2, 2010, 18:08

Hi Ann Maree.

I will keep an eye out for updates on outings, I see there is a few in Brisbane that I might be able to go to one day.

It’s good to be here. I am sure I will benefit alot from this.

God Bless you.

2quik

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.053 seconds.