Forums

Do conservative Christians care what the Bible really says?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 29, 2007, 13:09

Apologies if anyone has posted about this bit of news before, but I’ve had such a bee in my bonnet about it the last couple of days that I had to comment on it.

Check out this newspaper article.

Like most media reporting, there’s probably an element of ‘beat-up’ about it. For example, they probably rang up some poor person at Koorong who didn’t have a clue what the story was about.

Nevertheless, there’s a serious point here.

Conservative Christians are the ones most likely to state that the Bible is the Word of God and authoritative and something to be quoted at the first opportunity. I have no problem with that. In fact, I’m reasonably conservative myself on that score (not known for my Bible quoting, though!).

But, surely it follows from that belief system that it’s really important to know what the Bible actually says?

The Bible wasn’t written in English. The OT was written in ancient Hebrew and Aramaic, and the NT was written in 1st century colloquial Greek. To refuse to even consider that English translations might be improved by new scholarship and research on the meaning of the original language seems to me to be both intellectually and morally indefensible, for a Christian who believes the Bible is the Word of God.

And this isn’t just about sexuality either. My research after I read this article led me to stories about how some churches rejected the new translation of the NIV (called Today’s New International Version, or TNIV) because it used gender-inclusive language. The changes weren’t because of some kind of agenda, but because research had shown that the original Greek didn’t have gender connotations.

It seems that some people just want to shut their ears and say “don’t try and tell me what it says, I’ve been reading this version since I was a kid and these are the traditions I’ve learnt and I know what it says”.

It makes me pretty upset. And also angry. And also gives me a desire to learn Biblical Greek so that I don’t have to totally rely on someone else to find out what the NT really says.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
November 29, 2007, 14:56

Hi orfeo,

I don’t think I’ve seen you round the forums before, so welcome if you’re a newcomer, and pleased to meet you.

You will find that this closed minded attitude to hearing of a possible mistranslation of the Bible is pretty widespread.

I would be interested in obtaining a copy of this new study Bible and I hope it will be stocked by mainstream bookstores such as Dymocks or Borders. Thanks for posting this.

Blessings,

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 29, 2007, 21:10

Hi Orfeo,

I am sorry to hear that you are so upset Koorong and other stores refuse to stock the gay study bible. You may be interested to flick back a few pages on this forum and find the link where we discussed why Koorong would not stock avb’s autobiography for the same reason.

You have to understand that Koorong and others are a business and as a business they must take a stance on things, a Christian store is not like a sporting goods store where its ok to have a whole lot of different brands. Christian stores must contend with morals and values and not simply customer demand. Koorong has a right not to stock this version. Only minority of Christians are convinced that homosexuality is not snful and I’m guessing an even smaller number are convinced of the validity of this new ‘bible’.

The very fact that it exists is a slap in the face to conservative theology and it is wishful thinking to expect a conservative bookstore to stock this ‘bible’. No one is censoring what you as an individual choose to read, you can buy that version off the internet quite easily, it is readily avalible. But we must respect and tollerate Koorongs opinion on homosexuality from which this decision is made. I agree that people do deserve to know the truth, and I imagine so to does Koorong. The problem is you seem to have different ideas about what that truth is. Koorong is acting in accordance with what they believe to be biblical standards, as we all should in our lives.

Maybe its time to let go of the anger, accept the things you can not change and be thankful that we have places like Koorong where God’s word and books concerning it can be sold to millions to build our knowledge.

November 29, 2007, 22:05

Find me a person who really believes that the Bible is the inerrant authorative word of God and I’ll find you a person who is a liar or deluded. Most people have probably seen this but I’ll post it anyway.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It’s funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination – Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? – Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,

Jim

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 29, 2007, 23:51

I”ve been in contact with Dr Ann Nyland the author of the new translation………and had my book banned from Koorong……but of course we are not the only ones…….it seems that they have rejected books by other well known christian preachers from the US that are in every other major christian booksellers. Even Rowland Crouchers http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ publications are not stocked by them. so there we have it. a monopoly is deciding the christian reading diet in australia.

certain verses come to mind. ‘wipe the dust off you feet’…..’casting pearls before swine’ etc

Linda Morris (the author of the article) called me for comment it didnt get printed.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 29, 2007, 23:57

Find me a person who really believes that the Bible is the inerrant authorative word of God and I’ll find you a person who is a liar or deluded.

Umm OUCH! 😥

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 01:01

Koorong is a business all right.

I do still shop there when they’ve got good specials going, but not as much as I used to. I think that it is sad that they will only stock the ‘safe’ books and materials, but I can see how they’d be under a bit of pressure as well.

I love Borders and shop there for most of my reading materials now, not only because they stock everything, but because they have got a Gloria Jeans in the one I go to. Thus, I get to indulge both my passions at once. Books and Coffee! What could be better?

Blessings,

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 02:15

Hi Orfeo,

I am sorry to hear that you are so upset Koorong and other stores refuse to stock the gay study bible. You may be interested to flick back a few pages on this forum and find the link where we discussed why Koorong would not stock avb’s autobiography for the same reason.

You have to understand that Koorong and others are a business and as a business they must take a stance on things, a Christian store is not like a sporting goods store where its ok to have a whole lot of different brands. Christian stores must contend with morals and values and not simply customer demand. Koorong has a right not to stock this version. Only minority of Christians are convinced that homosexuality is not snful and I’m guessing an even smaller number are convinced of the validity of this new ‘bible’.

The very fact that it exists is a slap in the face to conservative theology and it is wishful thinking to expect a conservative bookstore to stock this ‘bible’. No one is censoring what you as an individual choose to read, you can buy that version off the internet quite easily, it is readily avalible. But we must respect and tollerate Koorongs opinion on homosexuality from which this decision is made. I agree that people do deserve to know the truth, and I imagine so to does Koorong. The problem is you seem to have different ideas about what that truth is. Koorong is acting in accordance with what they believe to be biblical standards, as we all should in our lives.

Maybe its time to let go of the anger, accept the things you can not change and be thankful that we have places like Koorong where God’s word and books concerning it can be sold to millions to build our knowledge.

Sorry, but I think you are misunderstanding the source of my anger. I’m not actually directly interested in what Koorong, as a business, chooses to stock or not to stock.

I’m more angry at their customers, frankly. Because it’s the fear of upsetting the customers that would keep them from stocking anything ‘controversial’.

And that is what angers me. The idea that controversial ideas are things to be avoided and surpressed. Instead of examined, explored, challenged, confronted, dissected, refuted, and sometimes accepted. In other words, it SHOULD be ok for a Christian store to have different ‘brands’ in it, when those ‘brands’ are based on the very principle that the Bible is key to the Christian faith!

Once upon a time, it was a controversial idea to oppose slavery. Go further back, and once upon a time the truly controversial idea was that God had a Son. They killed someone for that one.

What angers me is that the supposed inheritors of that deeply controversial idea seem to have evolved into a self-satisfied orthodoxy that knows it all.

Which is always a dangerous thing. The problem is not believing in such a thing as absolute truth, the problem is believing that you already know it. It’s not that my idea of the truth might be different that is the source of my anger, it’s that so many people aren’t interested in joining in trying to determine what the truth IS.

And… *deep breath* I find your remark about ‘accepting things I cannot change’ to be rather inappropriate.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 02:22

And to respond in that vein to raskdog:

Believing that those passages in Leviticus are part of the word of God has precious little to do with believing that they must be applied literally to my life, precisely because I am a Christian and not an Old Testament Jew.

Jesus came not to destroy ‘the law’ but to fulfil it. Given that he fulfilled the law once and for all, there is precious little point in me attempting to fulfil a large number of OT purity codes that were put in place for a purpose that is not relevant to me.

But that in no way means that Leviticus wasn’t delivered to the Israelites by God, for God’s purposes.

The issue is one of interpretation, not one of truth. See the quote from the West Wing I’ve added to my signature.

November 30, 2007, 07:42

Agreed orfeo. I was having a go at people who would condemn me for my sexuality based on what it says in Leviticus but then ignore other passages in Leviticus, stating them as outdated or part of the old law.

Many conservative Christians would say that the New Testament also forbids homosexuality but then they have no problem with other things the New Testament also forbids, such as women speaking in church, men having long hair and divorce and remarriage.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.145 seconds.