Forums

Does anyone know what is out there for young children gay supporters as in school age?

Page:   1 2

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 24, 2010, 10:29

Hi mrg

Thanks for bringing this up. It’s lovely that your young people are wanting to support their gay friends and that you are looking for pointers to help them.

After pondering about this (and it will be good to get feedback from Ben and our other young people here too), I think that young gay people need and want the same things their peers do. So the ‘Love others as you do yourself’ is a good guide. I believe we all need to feel safe, trusted and trustworthy, have physical shelter, food, warmth, a sense of belonging and ability to relate freely with others, to be loved and cherished and to reciprocate same, able to contribute to society and find meaning and purpose. We want to learn and be able to express our giftings, including spiritual ones, especially when in a faith community, and be encouraged to do so. That’s a basic start and if anyone’s interested, I’ve referred to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs when reflecting on all our various needs. His model is a triangle with the most basic physical needs at the bottom, suggesting that until we first meet those, it’s difficult to progress to more spiritual pursuits. This can be true in poor communities or at least some I’ve experienced in my travels. In one low socioeconomic part of London, sexual health education was the least concern to those who couldn’t put enough food on the table and who had little respect for our ‘white’ culture trying to educate them.

Maslow also said that unless we are true to ourselves we will never be happy. That’s something to consider..

Hope that’s helpful.

Blessings to you,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 24, 2010, 11:29

Hey MRG…….did i send you the presentation that I did at the LGBTI national health conference. Some of that is covered in that…….what are the specific needs of LGBTI people from faith backgrounds.

I think in essence it is all about being treated ‘normally’.

One thing I’d like to add though is that unconditional love is essential…..ie….I love you should never have a ‘but’ after it.

Another thing is being completely non-judgmental.

these two things should be the norm for every christian of course but they often find it easier to do with heterosexuals than homosexuals.

If you want that presentation then just email me [email protected]

hopefully we will also get lots of young people responding here as well…….they will have a better idea.

Dee

Joined in 2007
May 24, 2010, 12:14

Happyprecious,

I would recommend a number of avenues and groups to look towards for support, information and even discussion:

* The best starting point for anyone in any state is to look up their local Aids Council… from there you will find links to numerous resources and support groups.

i.e. in the A.C.T. the Aids Action Council website has a youth website … Qnet which provides resources for young people

* Youth groups for QLBTI are not usually exclusive …. they are usually open for those young gay people to bring friends who want to be supportive and learn more. It would be wise however to just check with the group first.

* PFLAG is about Parents & Friends of Lesbians & Gays … they are about learning , sharing and providing support for those that have GLBTI family & friends and can again be found via an internet search.

* ‘Through their eyes’ is a DVD available on-line from the Gay Christian Network. It is an excellent DVD providing personal stories about christian youth coming out and their coming to terms with their religion, feelings and sexuality.

* ‘Writing themselves in” is a national survey about Sam-Sex attracted youth in Australia. It is mentioned else where in the FTB forums as it is currently being conducted again to be updated. This is an excellent resource document

* Check the websites of GLBTI bookstores such as ‘The Bookstore” in Sydney to find out what books & resources they have for youngsters.

I hope that some of the above will help you in your quest.

Kind Regards,

Dee

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 24, 2010, 13:36

Thanks Dee. I imagine that will be a great help to Happyprecious. 🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.125 seconds.