Forums

Empathy dies

Page: 1

Mags

Joined in 2012
July 24, 2012, 12:22

The grass is never greener on the other side of the track, with dog-eared determination tossing another corpse across my back. empathy along with self worth will not see the dawn, soulless I fade.

I bleed red — this is true — but how does one go from feeling the world’s pain intensely to compassion’s river running dry. I plead let this not be society’s fate.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 24, 2012, 18:10

Hi Mags

You said:

… how does one go from feeling the world’s pain intensely to compassion’s river running dry. I plead let this not be society’s fate.

This happens quite easily when caring people divert all their energies outward without directing enough caring inwards. It's easy to become resentful because we all need care. Unfortunately the fostering of resentment within a caring person occurs more often than you might think and is a natural outcome when there is a caring imbalance, leading to 'compassion fatigue'. For those not familiar with this notion, they might be quite shocked that it can happen. Many of us were taught not to be 'selfish' which meant putting others' needs before our own. And when in balance with caring for ourselves, this is OK. It's worth noting too that caring for ourselves is not being selfish. It is what we need to do in order to keep giving out to others. As the commandment goes, "Love one another as you love yourself". For many years I think the last part of that commandment was conveniently left off and people went about like martyrs which wasn't healthy. So how do we prevent compassion running dry? We need to fill our own wells continually. Just as we need to regularly fill the car with fuel to keep it running, so we need to regularly replenish our own tanks with self nurturing, fun activities, regular holidays, mini breaks, changes to routine, hobbies and things that are good for us and make us happy. And we need to give ourselves permission not to be perfect. The important thing to remember is that we can't give out of an empty well.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
July 24, 2012, 21:37

I think today's society is intolerant and ignorant for the most part. Not everyone is like that however. There are tons of people going through the same thing we are 🙂 know that you aren't alone. I take comfort in this quote daily, which, to me, deals with haters:

[Matthew 10:16] “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.”

In a way I feel privileged to be gay because it seperates those who love me unconditionally from those who don't. We can also be role models and set an example of how we should all be treated, and in time, people will change their minds on the LGBT community. We just have to stay strong & alive to see it.

God Bless,

~Jordan

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.