Forums

Exodus Rejects Being Labeled 'Reparative Therapy Organization'

Page:   1 2

Brunski

Joined in 2005
June 8, 2012, 18:15

By Lillian Kwon , Christian Post Reporter

June 6, 2012|12:10 pm

Exodus International issued a clarification Tuesday to refute reports that it is a reparative therapy organization. The Christian group asserts that its main focus is not to change a person's sexual orientation.

"As an organization, we do not subscribe to therapies that make changing sexual orientation a main focus or goal," the statement reads.

"Our ministry's objective is to equip the Church to become the primary place where people of faith seek support, refuge and discipleship as they make the decision to live according to Christian principles."

The clarification was made after some in the media "mischaracterized" the organization. One ABC affiliate identified Exodus as a group "whose members now live heterosexual lives, many with spouses and kids, because of reparative therapy."

Exodus had been contacted by the media to weigh in on a bill in California that would ban reparative or conversion therapy for minors. The bill, SB 1172, was approved by the state Senate last week and now faces the Assembly.

The measure was introduced by Senator Ted Lieu who called efforts to change a person's sexual orientation "bogus" and harmful. Cited in the legislature is the American Psychological Association's report from 2009 which advised mental health professionals to avoid reparative therapy as it can pose "critical health risks" to lesbian, gay and bisexual people.

Like us on Facebook

The bill states: "Under no circumstances shall a mental health provider engage in sexual orientation change efforts with a patient under 18 years of age, regardless of the willingness of a patient, patient's parent, guardian, conservator, or other person to authorize such efforts."

The National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality is lobbying against the measure, arguing that there are no studies indicating that reparative therapy carries a greater risk than all other forms of psychological intervention.

"The American Psychological Association has observed that there are no studies by which to accurately estimate the effectiveness of sexual orientation change intervention or the prevalence of harm," said NARTH President Dr. Christopher Rosik. "In NARTH's view, a truly scientific response would call for more and better research to answer these questions, not a legislative ban that runs roughshod over professional judgment and parental choice."

Amid the debate, Exodus International – which claims to be the world's largest ministry helping individuals and families struggling with same sex attraction – says it "supports an individual's right to self-determine as they address their personal struggles related to faith, sexuality and sexual expression."

For those who choose to seek help through Exodus, the group helps them "surrender their sexual struggles to the Lordship of Jesus Christ."

"We believe in a 'gospel-centric' view, meaning that all people, regardless of individual life struggles, can experience freedom over the power of sin through a daily relationship with Jesus Christ, a commitment to scripture, and by being a part of a vibrant, transparent and relational community of believers found in the local church," Exodus states.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
June 9, 2012, 13:33

More and more it seems that Exodus is an organisation in crisis.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 9, 2012, 20:08

In this article the Narth spokesperson doesn't mention the fact that there are many other professional peak bodies and organisations apart from the American Psychological Association that are against reparative therapy. And anyone affiliated with these groups knows they didn't arrive at this position lightly without looking for relaible evidence. These include:

American Academy of Pediatrics

American Counseling Association

American Federation of Teachers

American Medical Association

American Psychiatric Association

American Psychological Association

The Interfaith Alliance

National Association of School Psychologists

National Association of Social Workers

National Association of Secondary School Principals

National Education Association

New Ways Ministries

People for the American Way

American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy

And in Australia, the following are either against anything that causes discrimination re sexual orientation, not able to find supporting evidence for reparative therapy or explicitly against it: Australian Association of Social Workers, The Australian Psychological Society, http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/reparative_therapy.pdf, Australian Counselling Assoc, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses http://www.ispn-psych.org/docs/PS-ReparativeTherapy.pdf, Australian Medical Association. http://www.qahc.org.au/files/shared/docs/AMA_positionstatement__2_.pdf

In the UK there's the British Psychological Society, the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy and the Royal College of Psychiatrists who say reparative therapy is unethical and does not work.

So there's quite a few groups that either oppose reparative therapy or are not endorsing it. And this isn't an exhaustive list.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
June 10, 2012, 15:55

In case anyone is not aware, the self-proclaimed "National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality" is a US-based organization which promotes an anti-LGBTI biblical view and supports reparative therapy. They have had their own scandals with leading members being exposed for secret gay liasions !!

Brunski

Joined in 2005
June 13, 2012, 16:06

I found this terribly funny, but rather sad at the same time,

Here are some of the techniques

you may experience in a typical Exodus residential program.

You cannot spend more than 15 minutes total per day in the bathroom with the door closed

You cannot wear Calvin Klein (or any designer) underwear

You cannot have facial hair (must be clean shaven)

You cannot wear aftershave (especially designer cologne)

You cannot spend a lot of time by yourself

You cannot watch much television

You cannot listen to most secular music

You cannot freely communicate with anyone outside the program

You cannot be alone behind closed doors with anyone of the same sex

Men must "act" masculine by watching sports on TV, like baseball and football. Watching tennis, swimming, Olympic diving or gymnastics and even basketball, manly sports all, is discouraged because they show too much flesh and might incite lust.

Remember what Exodus believes: Reparative therapy reinforces strict gender roles and works to erase outward appearances of femininity in men and masculinity in women.

"It's about doing what's uncomfortable," says a gay man, describing how he forced himself to watch baseball with macho sportsmen at parties, and to wear looser shorts when walking his chihuahua.

He speaks with obvious pride about leaving his boyfriend and his gay friends, changing his address, his job and his gym after attending his first Exodus Conference.

Men must cultivate masculine mannerisms and suppress mannerisms viewed as too effeminate.

Women must "act" feminine by developing an interest in cooking and house-keeping.

Women must cultivate feminine mannerisms and avoid masculine activities like changing the oil or tuning the engine in their pick up.

Tuning the radio is okay though, presumably only as long as it's not playing a K.D. Lang medley or an interview with Ellen DeGeneres.

Self-described ExGays try to recharge their Exgay batteries by attending yearly Exodus Pep Talk Conferences, at only $600+ per conference, kind of like an Amway Convention which convinces struggling distributors to 'keep drawing those circles' for one more year. gaychristians101.com

mrg

Joined in 2010
June 13, 2012, 19:52

So if I don't watch sports on telly and have a beard, I must be gay?

Idiots.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 13, 2012, 22:41

Hi Brunski

"It's about doing what's uncomfortable," says a gay man, describing how he forced himself to watch baseball with macho sportsmen at parties, and to wear looser shorts when walking his chihuahua.

hehe. So as long as his shorts are loose he can still walk the chihuahua. Hilarious.

I agree that stereotypes are funny and this is written in a humourous way. At the same time, it's amazing that ex gay programs really believe that if they change a few stereotypical outward signs that this changes a person! It shows their ignorance about basic humanity let alone psychology and sexuality.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

orfeo

Joined in 2007
June 14, 2012, 13:06

Does it depend on WHICH football code I watch?

I mean, they're probably focused on American Football, with all that padding. Whereas I prefer soccer and AFL. The latter has sleeveless tops, for goodness' sake.

Also, I think they're missing something with baseball. Yes, there's not much flesh, and the game itself is pretty slow and boring, but by golly, the right man in one of those baseball shirts can look pretty hot…

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 14, 2012, 16:28

Hi mrg

You wrote:

So if I don't watch sports on telly and have a beard, I must be gay?

Shows how much you know about being gay! If you've got a beard, I'm thinking you might not be gay. Although if you're cuddly and have a beard, you might be a 'bear'. (hehe) But I know you're not of generous proportions, so that wouldn't fit for you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

lover_in_aus

Joined in 2012
June 15, 2012, 08:03

I am a cub if anyone is wondering….I was apart of the Online chapter of the organisation (mostly because I am in Canberra and nothing is offered here) and I found it to be encouraging at times but there was a mantality that no one would post on other peoples struggles and yet they wanted others to post on their problems.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.