Forums

Faith & Orientation - Reconciled!

Page: 1

UKBoy

Joined in 2008
April 7, 2011, 07:28

I grew up in a non-Christian family, where things of God or of Church were very seldom brought up. I remember myself being very lost, confused yet a somewhat philosophical young boy, searching for something to fill that void in my life that I hungered for.

By around the age of 10, I realised that the feelings and attractions I had towards other boys, from as far back as my memory goes, is not shared with every other boy, and so maybe I needed to hide this.

I remember having sexual experiences with other boys of the same age, from an extremely young stage in my child hood; these progressed until I was 13.

At the age of 14 I found the missing puzzle in my life, that void, His name is Jesus, I was Born Again, and started to attend a Pentecostal Church, the congregation was overwhelmingly welcoming, loving, and passionate about worshiping God, which I was drawn to.

It wasn’t long before I came across the scriptures in the Bible, which at first glance can be interpreted to condemn who I was, as a male who was visually, emotionally and physically attracted to males.

This led me to come out to my Church Pastor as a Homosexual, I remember it took me almost an hour, as the tears flowed, to just utter the words to him – ‘I am a homosexual’ all the whilst he had no idea what the issue was.

He originating from the Caribbean and being a traditional Pentecostal, his response was inevitably that I can change, and that he would help me through this.

I whole heartedly went along with this idea, believing my orientation was a sin, and that I had to change, I attended exorcisms, and constantly was praying for God to remove this ‘burden’ from me.

This was until, after being a Christian for 4 years, I realised that those 6 scriptures other Christians use for their homophobic, prejudice, and hateful ammunition against non-straight people, are simply the result of miss-interpretations, miss-translations, and miss-understandings.

Looking back at that period in my life of false pretence, trying to change who I am, it was the most depressing time of my life, filled with self-hatred, self-condemnation, and restlessness. This seriously affected my relationship with God, and led me to doubt the authenticity of the Bible.

5 years on, at the age of 19 (2011) I still attend that same Pentecostal Church – where I regularly also now Minister, and am currently about to graduate from Bible College, embarking on the calling that God has for me in this life, which shall remain my main priority.

I plan to stay in the Pentecostal denomination, rather than ‘retreat’ to a more gay friendly Ministry, as many in my circumstances do; I feel it’s important for the truth to be presented from within the traditional circles.

Based on scripture I believe that I am to remain celibate, but also that it is not good for any man to be alone, so for me to find someone with similar views as me would be great! 🙂

I thank God for keeping me, for letting me know He loves me, and not allowing me to fall to ignorance – as so many in my position have sadly done.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
April 7, 2011, 13:36

UK boy – congratulations on the point you have reached in your journey. Thank you for sharing it.

“embarking on the calling that God has for me in this life, which shall remain my main priority” – oh so important that we do this; the only way to remain at peace; your courage and committment is enviable.

“I feel it’s important for the truth to be presented from within the traditional circles”. – That’s exactly how I feel. Harder than ‘escaping’ to a gay or gay-friendly church, but likely to be more worthwhile in the long-run. I’ve been led the same way (as a lay person).

” … I am to remain celibate, but … “ – something we seem to not like talking about, but well worth debating.

May God continue to bless you along the way.

April 7, 2011, 14:11

What an encouragement to read this…I have also decided to continue to attend a pentecostal church primarily, but also having cravemcc/christchurch as my haven when it all gets a bit much 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 7, 2011, 20:34

some of us are called to be a part of the change by being inside the city walls. But I recognise its not everyone’s calling.

I am a firm believer in the final statement of this model http://gayambassador2.blogspot.com/

Slide 18:

People have an attitudinal shift and move along the continuum as they become more informed and aware

Next slide

Slide 19:

This learning can happen formally through education, self-learning or experientially

Next slide

Slide 20:

It’s highly unlikely that this change will occur unless there is some personal connection with GLBT people.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
April 8, 2011, 11:00

Welcome UKBoy!!

It’s great to have you with us and I pray that you find hope, support and encouragement here. 🙂

What an encouragement to read this…I have also decided to continue to attend a pentecostal church primarily, but also having cravemcc/christchurch as my haven when it all gets a bit much 🙂

I am in the very same boat!! =P

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 8, 2011, 18:29

Hi UKBoy

Welcome to f2b!

It’s great that you have the strength of your faith and church community. May you find the right companion in your life as well when the time is right. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

RaulG

Joined in 2010
April 9, 2011, 15:06

Querido Hermano del Reino Unido,

Your story is very inspirational and though I am Heterosexual myself, I see that we share a common faith history (coming from non-religious backgrounds, studying the Bible, learning the truth about the misuse of those passages). Truly, the Lord is with you and your faith and resolve is empowering to us all. For that I thank you ,my brother.

Yours in Christ,

Raul

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
April 10, 2011, 00:06

Hi UKBoy,

Welcome to our unique online space. Thanks for sharing some of your journey with us.

It’s a life changing revelation when we read the clobber verses in the bible in their correct context and realise that there is nothing wrong with our gay orientation … knowing that we are accepted and loved for who we are …

Hope to hear more of your journey here on the forum.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.044 seconds.