Forums

For fans of Holding The Man...

Page: 1

Cornelius

Joined in 2006
May 2, 2010, 01:23

If you’ve seen the play or read the book and ever wondered about the real Timothy Conigrave and John Caleo I found there doesn’t seem to be much information out there. So for those who haven’t come across these before…

Some still photos of Tim and John from a magazine article

http://www.alphabrett.com/TimConigrave/photo.html

Couple of videos of Tim on stage at Kinselas in 1986 performing with cabaret comedy group THE GLOBOS.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTssnR3f6c

Tim getting down to his undies while “singing” Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In!

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xk_CoKMEtg

What is Holding The Man?

“It is the story of Tim and John who met at high school in the mid-1970s. Tim is in the school production of Romeo & Juliet and has a crush on John, captain of the football team who wants to play for Essendon. By the end of high school even their yearbook acknowledges them as the year’s cutest couple. Timothy Conigrave’s iconic memoir is a heart-wrenching account of a 15-year relationship that weathered disapproval, separation, temptation and, ultimately, death. Holding the Man is a celebration that speaks across generations, sexual preference and cultures.”

I saw the play in 2007 with other Freedom2b-ers but only read the book just recently, and found it even more affecting than the play. Like many others I wept my way through to the devastating end. Without a doubt the most emotionally draining book I’ve ever read – an “emotional bodyslam” is how I felt afterwards. Thoroughly deserving of all the awards and praise it received. Go read it!

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 2, 2010, 15:06

Thanks Cornelius for these links.

Holding The Man was the very first gay non-fiction book I read.

It is very emotionally charged towards the end as John’s untimely death nears.

IanJ

Joined in 2009
May 2, 2010, 21:30

Thanks for the links.

One of them was new to me.

I’ve read the book TWICE in the last month. I cried as much the second time.

Tim was born one year after me, so I relate to all the music and movies mentioned in the book. I also could identify with his feelings about boys when he was at school. Nothing so exciting happened for me at high school !

The play has just opened in London. Jane Turner is in the play- after being in the same high school production of Romeo and Juliet that Tim was in!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 4, 2010, 23:53

great book. I believe it is being made into a movie.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
May 24, 2010, 04:40

Meeting Tim Conigrave……

I met Tim Conigrave for the first time in 1989 when I was a young man of 20 at the beginning of my counselling / social work / therapy career. I had been working at what was then the Queensland AIDS Council running a gay youth group on the Gold Coast and had just been appointed to one of the first HIV peer educator positions. Tim was working at ACON (the AIDS Council of NSW). He was very supportive of the work I was doing and encouraged me to apply for the position as project officer with ACON’s famous ‘Fun & Esteem’ Project. Tim’s enthusiasm and encouragement made a big impact on me during my steep learning curve and I will always be grateful to him for that.

I did not apply for the position with ACON as it turns out (I did not want to move to Sydney because it would have meant leaving my boyfriend… but we broke up a couple of months later!) but I did end up running Fun & Esteem 10 years later! As a writer myself, Tim has been a source of inspiration to me. I am seeing ‘Holding the Man’ in London next month and really looking forward to it (great seats too!). The play is a wonderful way of honouring Tim’s memory and sharing a story of love, mateship and commitment.

And yes, the film’s producer tells me it is on the way!

IanJ

Joined in 2009
May 25, 2010, 08:33

SO jealous forwardtherapy!

and thanks for sharing your recollections!

We expect a full review when you return!

Ian

RAAF BLOKE

Joined in 2010
May 28, 2010, 15:53

I bought the book back in 1999 and absolutely loved it. I read it at least once a year. I actually bought the book to read on a flight back to London after zipping down for Mardi Gras. The lady in the book shop told me not to read it in public as it is very emotional. Sure enough, by the time I landed at Heathrow there were tears everywhere. Luckily, I was sitting next to a mature lesbian couple who thought it was really cute and gave me a hug.

Thanks also for the links. It’s nice to have faces to go with names. I can see what people meant about John.

I’ve always wanted to see the play. Especially now that Jane Turner is in it. I hope the movie does it justice.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.