Forums

Gay Conversations with God

Page: 1

Thingymabobie

Joined in 2011
June 10, 2012, 13:55

Hi all!

I know we have a "book corner" but I wanted to make sure everyone saw this.

I have just finished reading a book called "Gay Conversations with God" by James Alexander Langteaux.

James has written two other books "God.com" and "God.net". Both of these books are about believing in the Love of God and how to follow his voice. He was a producer on the 700 Club and would write scripts for Pat Robertson. He is a friend of Sam Sparro.

It has taken him 10 years to write this new book. It's all about his journey with his faith and sexuality. It is a very provocative book and not your typical Christian book. He swears a lot and talks about sex…a lot. He is so completely honest with his life and struggles and how God has passionately pursued Him in every seedy circumstance. There are stories of how God sent him to other gay people who had lost their connection with God and then used Him to re-awaken their life with Him. The story will make you life and cry.

He doesn't go to much into the theology… but he compels us to chase God with all our hearts and believe in His wild love for us. The book just rang true. I felt like I was reading my journey. It made me remember the love of Jesus for me…exactly as I am. "walk in the Light, as he is in the Light and you will have fellowship with God and with one another" kept rebounding around my heart as I read.

I've also spoken to James personally before. He is a lovely,lovely man and so very encouraging. I would love EVERYONE to read this book, gay and straight and if he ever makes it out to Australia… I'll force him to come speak at a Freedom 2 b meeting (with all your permission, of course haha).

Here is James reading the "Foreword" or "Foreskin" as he calls it… to the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vrCcrV5yM8

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
June 10, 2012, 15:20

Mmm … sounds … well … 'interesting', Thingymabob. Guess I'd better reserve judgement until I can learn more. Thanks for the info.

Thingymabobie

Joined in 2011
June 10, 2012, 16:05

Yes,

I'll admit, the clip I posted put me off when I first saw it… He doesn't really make an effort to make people happy or be PC.

But I think it is definitely worth a read.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 3, 2012, 15:56

How about a book review and synopsis ?

Would be interesting to know more given you grant the video clip can put people off

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 3, 2012, 21:47

I bought it a few weeks ago……dabbled in it…hasn't grabbed me yet….possibly because I have been focused on other reading material…….Five Uneasy Pieces. and Sexegsis to name a few

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 3, 2012, 22:24

Ah, a bit of heavy reading there, Anthony.

Thingymabobie

Joined in 2011
July 4, 2012, 20:28

Oh, it's been a while since I've read it now!

Basically, James recounts his journey of being gay and christian. He used to work on the 700 Club with Pat Robertson and had his own christian tv show and radio show and has written two other books about the Christian life.

He, however, felt he had a responsibility to write about his story and his relationship with God. It is not a book of theology, rather this guys love story with God. He reveals his highs, his lows and everything in between. He reveals how Jesus' passionately pursues all people, including gay people and meets them wherever they are.

This is the description on Amazon:

Representing a first in gay and Christian publishing, this provocative book presents a complete reversal of thought and action, contending that God loves homosexuals without attempting to refute scripture references. The study confronts its subject with a quirky sense of humor in the spirit of the “bedtime story,” providing a rare, evangelical Christian volume addressed directly to the gay community. Unorthodox in its presentation, this guide speaks the language of those who may feel abandoned, condemned, and damned while avoiding reinterpretations of scriptural passages, making the gospel accessible to a younger, free-spirited generation. Spearheading a volatile topic with candor and grace, it reframes the never-ending question, Is homosexuality a sin? and instead asks the gay community for a cease-fire—to forgive, love, and help put a stop to a cultural war being waged in the world.

This is part of a letter I wrote to James and part of a review that I did.

I feel like you took a stethoscope and placed it against my chest and listened to every little whisper my heart made. Every whimper to be set free and alight with fire, you heard and you wrote it down in your book. My heart has been screaming at me to believe and to hope and to know, but I told it to shut up. I beat it up, spat on it and called it a whore…. I think I've been living in a domestic violence relationship with my own heart. Poor bastard!

Walk in the light, as He is in the light and you will have fellowship with God and that of God in all our bromos! And remember that you are LOVED. This road can be so tough and lonely, but that doesn't mean that God isn't with you. Present. In you. I'm sure you know that. God is using you to shame the wise. There is no pride in that, only profound humility that the Invisible Hand has been guiding you and leading you in order to reveal the brilliance of His character.

I would encouage everyone to read this. I think it captures the heart of what it is like to be gay, but still love Jesus with all your heart. It is, at times, quite offensive. But, what part of life isn't offensive? Very few peoples lives are roses, sunshine and rainbows. Most people are good at presenting that, our culture is built upon presenting a branding, an imagine. But underneath, there are the same fears and dark places. James cuts through the crap, the pretense and tells you all about his rainbows… but also all about the dark places his gone. He gives the reader to courage embrace their own darkness and shame and bring it into the Light of Jesus' love. He encourages us to be in relationship with God, like he does in his other books, and allow Jesus to direct us. Not our fears, not our desires and not our traditions. He doesn't argue a theological point and challenges both views at times… but he encourages us to love and to know Love.

J

Joined in 2012
July 7, 2012, 21:22

Thanks! I'll definitely note this book down.

Ever since I came out to my parents I feel like I have been enlightened. Two of my deepest fears have been destroyed (roller coasters and the tower of terror @ Rainbow's end), my eyes have been opened more than ever, and God is helping me to piece back together who I am, so this book sounds like something for me.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.