Forums

Gay woman 44 just out

Page:   1 2

cheeky

Joined in 2010
April 12, 2010, 07:39

Background

Brought up in a home with a Christian mum and a non Christian dad and an older brother and sister who fitted into their gender norms, I was a wee tom boy and knew I was different from a very young age. I didn’t know then it would take over 30 years to come to terms with just how different I was.

In my youth I knew I was attracted to the same sex, but my upbringing in church and the society I lived in told me everything about it was wrong, unnatural and forbidden by God. So in my fear, I ignored it and ran into the arms of boys, after all that is what was expected of me. I continued to get involved knee deep in my small evangelical church and eventually my passion for God and young people overflowed and I became the youth leader.

Life Changing

However, when I was 20 I met a girl who changed the course of my life and out of a friendship we developed a loving, affectionate and passionate relationship. However, it was all a secret and eventually the secrecy and the guilt overwhelmed me and I ended the relationship, unable to reconcile my faith with my sexuality.

Not long after this I was introduced to a man I eventually married after dating for 4 years. The marriage lasted for 6 years before I walked away from it, heart broken and completely disillusioned with myself and with God. It was the first time in my life I ever doubted that God could love me…because I walked away from my marriage vows at the age of 32.

After counselling, where I was still unable to talk about my sexuality, a form of healing commenced and good biblical teaching helped me to come to terms with divorce. Still, I couldn’t talk about my same sex attraction, telling myself it was a one off, an experiment, I was a victim of somebody else’s attraction; all excuses because I was too afraid of facing the truth that I was gay.

One more broken hearted relationship with another man later and I was still unable to face my sexuality. After all, I’d been in relationships with men so I must’ve been straight – right?

Reality

A few years ago I was re-reading through the book ‘purpose driven life’ when God clearly told me to stop running away and face my past. He told me not to be afraid for where He is, there is freedom. Once more I went into counselling, this time to reveal my secret past and find answers. It was incredibly painful to talk about and it didn’t help and I sank into a depression.

I finally met someone I could speak with about it who encouraged me to be true to myself and in hearing her story I related strongly to her. She thought she was unwelcome in the Church because of her sexuality and it broke my heart to hear her say it, although deep down I knew her perception of the Church was realistic.

This friendship forced me to be honest about my life and I finally realised that God made me the person I was and that I was truly loved by Him regardless of my sexuality.

Through another friend I heard of the work of Anthony Venn-Brown and undertook his coaching course which gave me the knowledge, strength and courage I needed to come out to my family and friends. Against my expectations, they were incredibly supportive and also saddened that it had taken me over 30 lonely years to come to terms with it and tell them.

With a clearer biblical understanding and the fear of God’s judgement out of the way and a very deep sense of who I am in Him, I finally faced up to who he created me to be and put aside my fear. I am a gay Christian woman who wants to live with integrity and who has no illusions about how difficult that will be.

Although in some ways I am at the beginning of my journey in understanding, at age 44 I feel like I’ve been on it for a very long time and I’m waiting for the next chapter.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 12, 2010, 08:31

Hi cheeky

Great to have you here sharing your story!

As in your story, it’s amazing how we can feel pressured to keep our sexualities hidden and for such a long time…

Where are you based?

I hope to hear more from you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

cheeky

Joined in 2010
April 13, 2010, 07:28

Hi Ann Maree

Thanks for the welcome 🙂

I think the pressure to stay hidden is exasperated by not having opportunities to talk in a safe place without fear or judgement…

I am actually based in Ireland, a long way from your sunny climate…

Cheeky

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 13, 2010, 09:35

Hi Cheeky

No problems. Yes I agree that if people don’t feel safe, they won’t open up. Society has a lot to answer for with that.

I lived in London for 6 years and know Ireland quite well. A lovely part of the world. I’m back in Melbourne now and although we’ve had a record breaking warm spell, we’re now heading into the colder months.

Now that you’re out to family, do you feel safer than you did?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 13, 2010, 22:56

hi cheeky…….nice of you to pop in here….and thanks for sharing your story.

Its great to see young people coming to terms with their sexuality earlier in life than some of us. It seems the older we are now the longer it takes to sort out……and it doesn’t take too far back to know that some would never have come out. I think of my parents era.

Possibly there is mathematical formula in there some where.

Year we were born divided by (X) multipied by (Y) + (Z) = how many years it will take to sort things out

You can tell I failed maths twice in my final year of high school…..obviously my talents lay in other areas……. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 15, 2010, 17:22

Hi cheeky

Just read through your story again….there’s a lot there….and is similar to my story in the order of events and the layering of those. The divorce came first and then dealing with sexuality. My parents and family also responded well when I came out which was a great relief.

Somewhat differently to you, my sexuality was far more suppressed and so I didn’t even become aware of my orientation until my 30s. Looking back, I can see things unfolded as they were meant to, and each crisis better equipped me to deal with the next. The ex communication and resulting spiritual crisis enabled me to work through the divorce and reconcile that with my faith, as did my short stint of bible college. In turn, processing the issues around divorce assisted with becoming more accepting of LGBT. I also worked in an LGBT dominant workforce and so this became my norm rather than a hetero world. (And a very positive experience, I might add too. 🙂 ) Not only did this help me start to accept diversity in others, it helped me realise my own sexuality, facilitating a process whereby I came to accept and celebrate that part of me also. Counselling supports and alternative readings of the bible also allowed me to reconcile this area with my faith.

So like you, although I came out later in life, I feel as if I was working toward that for a long time beforehand….

And just wondering: are you in a place that allows you to be openly gay with other Christians and have their support?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 16, 2010, 00:38

reading through this…..the question came to……’so when is the best time in life to come out’……….probably a separate thread in discussion eh?

cheeky

Joined in 2010
April 16, 2010, 07:31

Hey Ann Maree

Yeh i can relate to working through issues with divorce and how that enabled me to empathise with those who’s lives just aren’t black and white…

I have a small but close group of friends all of whom are straight…they’ve been great in their support of me… but we have a long way to go in terms of biblical knowledge and understanding…

Cheeky

cheeky

Joined in 2010
April 16, 2010, 07:35

Hi avb – maybe it’s when we feel safest….

cheeky

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 16, 2010, 13:45

Hi avb – maybe it’s when we feel safest….cheeky

……and we feel a sense of internal resolution? Like WE have reached a tipping point……and by coming out we add to the tipping point of acceptance in society and the church.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.