Forums

Hillsong recent statement on Issues of Sexuality

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 16, 2008, 16:11

Just before I left for the US, Ps Brian Houston posted a media response on the Hillsong website. http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=2034

I was encouraged by several things.

1. The tone of the statement

2. An acknowledgment that the church has not always got it right about its treatment of the gay issue

3. An acknowledgment that Hillsong doesn't have all the answers

Of course it doesn't say we welcome all gay and lesbian Christians and they are free to express their gifts and serve God in our church but I think this media response reflects some important shifts in attitude.

What are your thoughts?

Issues of Sexuality & Sexual Expression

As a church we always endeavour to treat people compassionately whatever they may be facing in life.

We are a Christian Church and as such believe the Bible provides us with clear teaching on sexuality and sexual expression – heterosexual and homosexual. But I do not believe this is about rules and regulations as much as God wanting what is best for each of us.

The heart of God is toward people, and I believe that is also the heart of our church.

God has created each of us as sexual beings, and I do not believe it is His will for it to be complicated. However, I recognise that people face very real issues in regards to sexuality. I have seen this both in my wider family, our church and society more generally.

This is a global challenge that most of the world’s churches are grappling with, and we, like them, are trying to balance theology with compassion.

We do not profess to have all the answers, nor has the church worldwide always got it right, but we will continue to try and connect people to Jesus because we know that hope and answers for every situation and circumstance can be found in Him.

Brian Houston

Senior Pastor, Hillsong Church

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
June 17, 2008, 08:08

It is a step in the right direction, the hardline has gone even if the full acceptance isnt there openly as yet.

sojourner

Joined in 2008
June 17, 2008, 10:25

Wow- Didn’t Hillsong at one stage run an ex-gay ministry program?? What a huge step forward! I think I remember watching an interview on ABC Australian Story with Brian Houston and he made similarly diplomatic comments about the issue then… I find these lines a little curious though:

This is a global challenge that most of the world’s churches are grappling with, and we, like them, are trying to balance theology with compassion.

We do not profess to have all the answers, nor has the church worldwide always got it right, but we will continue to try and connect people to Jesus because we know that hope and answers for every situation and circumstance can be found in Him.

The first line sounds like they are maintaining the ‘love the sinner, hate the sin kind of approach’ ie we’ll show compassion, but still stick to our theological guns, but they don’t follow it up with any clear explanation of their theology… Now its awesome that they aknowledge the fact that the issue is in many ways bigger than some pithy 2 sentance explanation of the sinfullness of Homosexuality and for those of you guys who are associated with Hillsong this must bring a great deal of joy- but I still find myself wanting to hear him say more about the issue and why easy answers aren’t possible, rather than just saying the answer is Jesus!!- Kind of sounds a bit like 4th grade sunday school, where the answer to every question is Jesus (and comes with a gold star and candy from Mrs Buckley too!)

Chris

oooooo

Joined in 2006
June 17, 2008, 11:01

i see this as a postive move. Perhaps, at least as far as Hillsong is concerned Repulsion has toned down to Reservation about sexuality. I realise this is from Hillsong and not from AOG Australia or anything but we have to realise it will take some time for attitudes (even this one) to trickle down through the ranks to the local churches around the country, if they do at all. But for me there is still no church here where i live, that i know of, where i can attend and be open.

but hey we live in hope

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 17, 2008, 11:30

Wow- Didn’t Hillsong at one stage run an ex-gay ministry program?? What a huge step forward! I think I remember watching an interview on ABC Australian Story with Brian Houston and he made similarly diplomatic comments about the issue then… I find these lines a little curious though:

The first line sounds like they are maintaining the ‘love the sinner, hate the sin kind of approach’ ie we’ll show compassion, but still stick to our theological guns, but they don’t follow it up with any clear explanation of their theology… Now its awesome that they aknowledge the fact that the issue is in many ways bigger than some pithy 2 sentance explanation of the sinfullness of Homosexuality and for those of you guys who are associated with Hillsong this must bring a great deal of joy- but I still find myself wanting to hear him say more about the issue and why easy answers aren’t possible, rather than just saying the answer is Jesus!!- Kind of sounds a bit like 4th grade sunday school, where the answer to every question is Jesus (and comes with a gold star and candy from Mrs Buckley too!)

Chris

the answer is yes about previously having the living waters program in the church.

I think Chris that there will never be the big jump from homosexuality is an abomination and sin to God loves you as you are. Its never happened in any denomination or history as far as I know.

the first step is to ask the question. Did we get it wrong?

this happened with AOG/Hillsong bible college students a year ago……and continues to have influence.

here is a good question…….if you were Brian (Senior Pastor of Hillsong and President of the Assemblies of God In Australia) what would you say and how would you go about it.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
June 24, 2008, 09:25

That is a good question Anthony and how much influence would the powers that be around him have on it all as well, its certainly not something you could put together overnight and announce in a short statement, its something that would be radically changing to many across the board and I guess because of that would need quite a bit of chewing over.

Change sometimes has to come in small stages otherwise it will either fall flat or could have a very adverse effect, always best to have a prep period of introduction and then a grad. bring it on so to speak.(just my thoughts, as humans we can only take on so much that goes in a different direction to what we have been used to for years, no matter how much the change at hand is needed I guess)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 24, 2008, 12:47

having just come back from the US I know of several evangelical/pentecostal leaders who, behind the scenes are rethinking their position on homosexuality. Many of these are basically household names.

Just can’t make it public at this stage.

I’ll be writing a report on my trip so will be able to say more later.

frogger

Joined in 2005
June 24, 2008, 19:13

I love seeing a softening of the heart. I’ve watched it my parents. I’ve watched in their Hillsong friends (some of the pastors too), just from meeting my partner and I and seeing our journey, and our faith journey. Seeing that we are normal God people, not evil doers.

I love seeing people open their eyes. I never thought my dad would open his eyes and he is. He loves our kids and actually asks for them to come over. Two years ago, he told me they would never be his grandkids and he would never accept my relationship or our kids… Its amazing what happens in time, we just have to be patient.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 24, 2008, 21:37

yes….we are living in amazing times…..great shifts are happening.

its very encouraging.

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
June 25, 2008, 09:43

The question is what is behind Brian’s statement that has some stubstance – will it fix the situation we are in? will it be enought to repair the bridges to our gay tribe? will we be welcomed with unconditional love?

My initial response to the statement is perhaps its like being fed crumbs from the table while everyone else enjoys the feast.

There has to be more. I wonder if this the best that Brian can do?

Where did we go wrong here? I think the question should be phrased positively towards those who impose on our freedom to be, what are they so afraid of if they accepts us as Gay and Christian? What have they got to loose? Their face value? The embarrassment of saying “opps we were wrong”.

Which is better – being popular to its own peers or ignoring God’s love for all mankind? (I’m sure it runs deeper than that)

Because we too are made in His image and Brian says “its our theology” rather say the truth (as an hyperthetical example)”well in the bible there are 9 references to Gay and 499 referencences to hetrosexual and we have come to a better understanding and would like to extend our sincere apologies to those who have been so badly hurt by what we have said and done in God’s name, we also acknowledge the damage and loss of lives for those who have been shunned in such an apalling situation that is equal to punishment reserved for Satan on his final judgement”.

There needs to be an outpouring of repentance and forgiveness, there needs to be a wider understanding of Gay issues… I would like to see Brian rend his shirt and throwing ashes over himself, and putting on the sack clothes at the awful things they did in God’s name the most awful thing ever done to Gay men and women by staying silence to the brutal treatments against us who really only want to love and serve God.

So here’s what I am thinking… God so loved the world that HE sent HIS son and WHO SO EVER believe in HIM shall have eternal life. 😯 Is it ok for me to feel a bit dismal about not taking this the in a positive light as most of you all are? Its not that I am not grateful, I am just trying to undertand why would we accept so little when God has given us so much. in hundredfolds and this Man of God called Brian can only offer us crumbs while the rest of them eat at a banquet. It sure feels that way.

To my understanding, theology is man made concept that attempts to make some sense out of this great and mighty God of ours. its rules and regulations. A bit like a policy, its a belief system that may have nothing to do with God’s words.

I believe that Brian can do better! Why? Because the power of God commands and commends Brian to undo everything the church has done in His name as we know now was wrong. Where is the oil that will clean, heal and soothe our open wounds? It won’t definately come from the small statements with a “but” in the middle.

(edited on 5 July to cool my hotheaded statement… I wrote at the heat of the moment – please provide me with some feedback)

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.