Forums

Hillsong recent statement on Issues of Sexuality

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 18, 2010, 21:40

So when (not if … but when) gay marriage is legalised in Australia, what are the non-welcoming churches going to do?

If they refuse to marry a LGBT couple, they’ll simply go to another welcoming church or a civil celebrant!

The church’s loss … someone else’s gain.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 19, 2010, 17:19

Yep……and they can’t have it both ways……saying that Gods order is for sex to only be within the context of marriage…….and then in the other breath say they dont believe in gay marriage. I wonder if they have ever thought about how irrational those statements are. HELLO!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 20, 2010, 22:20

Well it’s rational to those who believe homosexuality is a sin and it therefore follows that marriage, being a sacred sacrament before God, can only be between a man and woman. Of course we know this is nonsense but for many fundamentalists who have only been taught to read the scriptures at a surface level and not question their teachings, they won’t believe in gay anything.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
June 10, 2010, 17:42

Hmm…the link to the Hillsong statement on sexuality has dissapeared.

Even after searching the ACC website and Hillsong website, I could find nothing…

I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. Ignoring the issue sometimes can cause more damage. The church should give guidance and it upsets me that it is so hard to publicly find out what Hillsong believes in terms of sexuality.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 11, 2010, 16:23

the only way it can be found these days is if people find it cached. I don’t know why it is no longer on the site.

I believe it was a media release which some are left on the site others aren’t….so I’m not sure. One possibility is that I had mentioned it so much here and overseas that it gave it more exposure than what was wanted…….I’m not really sure.

Just in case people haven’t read it or cant find it we will put it up here again.

As a church we always endeavour to treat people compassionately whatever they may be facing in life.

We are a Christian Church and as such believe the Bible provides us with clear teaching on sexuality and sexual expression – heterosexual and homosexual. But I do not believe this is about rules and regulations as much as God wanting what is best for each of us.

The heart of God is toward people, and I believe that is also the heart of our church.

God has created each of us as sexual beings, and I do not believe it is His will for it to be complicated. However, I recognise that people face very real issues in regards to sexuality. I have seen this both in my wider family, our church and society more generally.

This is a global challenge that most of the world’s churches are grappling with, and we, like them, are trying to balance theology with compassion.

We do not profess to have all the answers, nor has the church worldwide always got it right, but we will continue to try and connect people to Jesus because we know that hope and answers for every situation and circumstance can be found in Him.

Brian Houston

Senior Pastor, Hillsong Church

March 2008

http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=2034 (no longer active)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 11, 2010, 16:25

FYI……here are some other statements made by Pastor Brian Houston Senior Pastor of Hllsong

I think that the homosexual question and sexuality generally is one of the most challenging questions there is for the church in the 21st century. And it’s one where I feel conflict myself, as a believer in the Bible and specifically the New Testament, I think that marriage is God’s idea, and I think it’s for a man and a woman. But I also represent a God that’s merciful and gracious and kind, and having to connect those two things I think is one of the great challenges for me as a church leader.

Australian Broadcast Corp., Australian Story/August 1, 2005

Twitter

STOPPRESS:Hillsong r not preaching against gays. We r not stooges of the right nor teachers of excessive wealth. Just helping+loving people12:09 PM Apr 25th 2009 from web

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
June 15, 2010, 00:40

Hi there everyone… yeah I watched that 60 minutes with Hillsong… I was really impressed with how he handled it… hmmm I felt a little bit said about his dad though… I don’t know what to make of that one… hmmmm we never really know what was going on in that person head and what was happening with him to do that to a young boy;. Hmmmm sigh. Not all Day people are like that.

Craig.

4JC

Joined in 2007
June 16, 2010, 03:54

It is said but he had to do it. Things are now open what happened n in the catholic church about what happened to kids over the years. People knew about it but they kept it quit and now they reap the harvest.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 16, 2010, 18:25

Hi there everyone… yeah I watched that 60 minutes with Hillsong… I was really impressed with how he handled it… hmmm I felt a little bit said about his dad though… I don’t know what to make of that one… hmmmm we never really know what was going on in that person head and what was happening with him to do that to a young boy;. Hmmmm sigh. Not all Day people are like that.

Craig.

hey Craig……I dont think it was 60 minutes……it was Sunday Night on 7.

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/-/page/3/#

its on this page…..scroll down.

its called inside hillsong

Qwerty

Joined in 2009
July 12, 2010, 21:05

8)

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.092 seconds.