Forums

Hillsong to be parodied in the Mardi Gras Parade

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 21, 2009, 08:22

“Surry Hillsong – Come into the Light”

This will be a parody of Hillsong church, using the theme to represent the all-encompassing community values of “diversity, respect and inclusion”. Our mission statement is to achieve a world with the DENOMINATIONS UNITED.

The entry will comprise of “A God” who will be spinning discs from heaven’s console in the sky, atop a representation of a ‘religiou$’ multimedia empire. The Surry Hillsong bus is involved to transport believers from the parade Start Area near Central Station to the place of worship, our sister multimedia empire ‘Jox Studios’.

One hundred to 200 believers will make the pilgrimage in costume. Each worshipper will be responsible for creating a costume of his/her choice. This costume can be related to any religious reference – for example Christian, Shinto, Catholic, Hindu, Buddhist, Mormon, Catholic, Muslim, a cult or a famous/infamous religious character. And we would like to see some SECTS in the parade this year! DIRTY, SECTSY DENOMINATIONS. Your costume can be designed around your budget and sensibilities. Therefore may be as extravagant, as reverential, as cheeky or as $2 Variety Store “cheap and cheery” as you like. Anything religious is possible. Groups of friends participating around their own theme are encouraged! For example the greek or roman gods, a choir, satanic rituals or scientology.

What are your thoughts?

Don’t forget that F2B will be marching for the 3rd time this year.

I’ll be posting details later.

frogger

Joined in 2005
January 21, 2009, 09:17

who is doing this?? I dont think it will translate that well. Because everybody doesn’t know Hillsong.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
January 21, 2009, 18:42

Hmm, well I think enough people know about Hillsong – in the last couple of years of the Howard Government, they were pretty much used as the main example of a the new influential ‘megachurches’.

There were even stories about how many Australian Idol finalists came from Hillsong one year!

But, as to parodying them… sigh. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised. There’s plenty of history in the LGBT community of parodying religious figures or organisations. Fred Nile. Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence etc.

I just feel like it’s the kind of thing that increases the divide and makes life for LGBT Christians, who are trying to live with a foot in both ‘camps’, more difficult.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
January 21, 2009, 20:18

I don’t really like the idea of religion being parodied in general. Well… I mean, if it’s done right, it can be good. But this just seems kind of rude. It seems to me like the LGBT community is basically mass insulting every religion under the sun here. I can’t see religious communities being at all impressed with the LGBT community in general after this. Maybe I’m missing something here, but that’s my initial reaction anyway.

And best wishes for the F2b thing, I hope you guys can make a positive impact through your involvement. 🙂

Sandy

Joined in 2007
January 22, 2009, 10:59

I can’t see religious communities being at all impressed with the LGBT community in general after this.

Um… so what else is new? 😆 😆 😆

The relgious communities have never been impressed with the LGBT community at all, ever… thats pretty much the point of mocking them I imagine.

If the Christians can get up there and say homosexuality is wrong etc in the name of freedom of speech and belief then the LGBT community ought to be able to call them morons for doing so… for that too is a belief. 😉 😆 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
January 22, 2009, 20:14

Parodies can be fun but not sure about this one, it might show disrespect, last thing we need. 🙁 dont want to come across as being disrespectful or making fun of something, no one will believe that we have honour or respect as Gay/Lez Christians if its taken too far, you can have fun without making it debaucherous.

We were trying to build a bridge with pentecostal churches, hillsong being one of them, I hope we wont be burning that bridge. I spose we can only wait and see.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 22, 2009, 21:32

We were trying to build a bridge with pentecostal churches, hillsong being one of them, I hope we wont be burning that bridge. I spose we can only wait and see.

Yeah, I’d love to know who is organising this. I just hope that there is no hidden agenda or motive behind it. Lets get behind the F2b team so we can educate and inform others about the real issues confronting GLBTIQ people and their faith/spirituality.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
January 23, 2009, 01:39

Hey guys…

When I first found out about this I was shocked and dissapointed in the gay community for furthering the divide between sexuality & faith. However, after thinking about it alot, I realised that we all have a right to express ourselves the way we choose to. I may not agree with making fun of a church, my church in fact but Mardi Gras is about freedom and freedom of speech as well.

There is also the possibility that this could be a catalyst for Hillsong waking up and going…”We really need to stop ignoring this and actually come out and say that we can be affirming”.

I go to Hillsong church still and I am ‘out’ at church and I was accepted by pastors there, including pastor Brian Houston. Yes…there is still a very long journey ahead for both the church and the gay community but things are changing. Hopefully this parody at Mardi Gras changes things for the good, not the bad.

Sooo looking forward to marching this year!! 😀

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
January 23, 2009, 07:55

Im hoping its going to be for the better but also hope that in having the freedom to express and speak out, we use that freedom wisely, if everyone spoke out what they wanted and how they wanted without forthought somewhere, where would we all be? it would almost be like a slinging match “this is what i want” but ” this is what III want” and “this is what you look like when you say that” nooooo “THIS is what YOU look like when you say THAT”, where does it end 🙁 . The ways and means we do things can make the difference between accomplishing something good or having it bite the dust with drawn out recovery.

Parody can be fun if done in the right way and certain digs have been done in the past achieving nothing but a laugh and sometimes incurring an insult changing nothing. Im hoping if it brings a good laugh, everyone involved will get the joke…just my thoughts 😉 (prob. be a big fuss about nothing, time will tell)

Will be marching with F2B in spirit all the way. 8)

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
January 25, 2009, 22:51

Hmmmmm let me get this right… Hillsong are coming out to our Gay Mardi Gras and marching? 😕 😯 😕 ❓

I think I have been rubbing my eyes so many times and re-reading it. I can’t make heads or tails about it. 😕 The words are all jumbled up because my mind is reeling with “who, what, when”.

I just can’t picture Hillsong of all people to come on the march 😳 … if that is the case I better go over my bible and verify the end times. I can’t phyiscally place and see Brian Houston dancing on the street but it would be nice eh? 😆 🙂 😀 😆

So there is a Surry Hill Hillsong group? Wont they get into trouble? 😯

Ok I think I will just read a few more post before retiring to bed.

Hugs to all and looking forward to the response… and yes I would love to march this year with this F2B and I better get the dates right, Bevan (guidedog) with a dog sitter, and book accomodation overnight… so we can party hard… etc… better find the dates. Smiling. So what’s F2B theme this year? 😀

Craig.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.06 seconds.