Forums

How I have come to accept myself (and the journey just begins)

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
December 27, 2010, 13:28

I stayed up late enough last night to watch the sun rise. I didn’t mean to, it just happened. I thought it was appropriate and it gave me a chance to reflect on the “new day” I have entered into.

I came out to my parents yesterday (boxing day). I had been planing on waiting until January, and some people were even praying towards that, but in the end I couldn’t wait. I had been staying at my parents place for the festivities and I got away for a short break on Christmas day. When I went for a walk the thought of just coming out now occurred to me. Everyone has time off, so people are around and we could all recover that way. And I couldn’t wait.

So on Christmas night I finished another draft of the letter and printed it out on my parents printer whilst they slept (2 copies). I was nervous about waking them up but they were tired enough to be out cold. On Boxing day were were heading over to my sister in law’s family’s place for lunch. After that we were back at my parent’s place for a few hours before I headed off to church (and then back home). As they sat down for a cup of tea I gave them each a copy of the letter and asked them to read it.

It was a pretty nerve raking few minutes whilst they read. :~

After they finished they just got up and walked over and gave me a hug. They told me that they’d always accept me no matter what. There were a few tears (as you can imagine). 🙂

We talked for a couple of hours. My parents were shocked. They had not suspected that I was gay though they had thought something was wrong over the years (like I felt guilty about something) and Mum had apparently made several comments to Dad that it was like I was trying to find myself. They said it also explained why I was so private. So I guess it filled in a few gaps.

They have been on their own journey with church and Christianity over the last few years and it seems that the timing was pretty good as they have been bought to a place where they were able to handle what I was saying. They didn’t want to argue with me over the bible though they were interested in what I thought the bible had to say so we talked briefly and I am going to send them the research I have done. They said that many of the comments they had made over the years didn’t reflect what they thought anymore and they were sorry, realizing that this would have made things harder.

They also said that they’d both experienced “interference” from their parents and because of this they didn’t want to force anything on my brother or I. They said that the main thing was that I was happy, and that I am true to myself.

As it turns out a close family friend is actually the grandmother of a gay Christian kid and a friend with several gay people so I have been told she will be really supportive. My mum says that with the extended family it is up to me (I probably wont bother though as I am not close to anyone) and that if anyone gives me any trouble they will have her to deal with. lol. 😀

Naturally, they are still working through the shock. And they don’t really understand what being gay means (it’s hard to explain stuff). But that’s ok. Maybe Love is an Orientation would help? Andrew Marin seems to be a straight guy with the best understanding of what being gay is like. Certainly AVB’s book is a bit much just yet. 😉

I plan to tell my brother in the next few days. My parents encouraged me to give him a letter as well, like I did with them. Then I will do everything else pretty quickly. Tell a few close friends that remain, and then make a Facebook note and come out publicly. It could be all done before the end of my holidays.

Afterwards I filled in a few people on what had happened, and decided to go out for the night and party. It was cause for celebration I thought!

This is the letter I ended up giving my parents:

Dear Mum and Dad,

I love you. I am very grateful to have you as my parents. After volunteering with [redacted] I have seen the type of things that could happen to anyone if they don’t have great parents like you. I did not get to choose you when I was born – I got lucky. You have both worked hard to give me a great start in life. I know you are proud of me, and I am proud of you for the sacrifices you have made. This is especially true given the financial pressures when I was younger and also the stress caused by our extended family over the last few years.

This needs to be said because sometimes I forget how lucky I am. I really appreciate your input into my life and I feel that I need to tell you something that has taken me a very long time to accept about myself and I think that possibly it might take you some time to process as well. Over quite a number of years I have moved from hating something about me to learning to love who I am.

I am gay. I first knew when I was only 12 but I thought it must be just the crazy hormones that were kicking in and that I’d grow out of it. I even told one of the guys back at [redacted] (as a passing comment) and they said much the same thing. But they were wrong, I didn’t grow out of it.

For the rest of high school I basically just ignored it. Everyone thought I was straight, so it was easy enough. I just didn’t gawk over girls like the other guys. But once I was at UNI I couldn’t ignore it any longer.

I didn’t take it very well when I finally “came out” to myself. In fact, I spent weeks depressed and I distinctly remember thinking that being gay was so horrible I could never even tell anyone, ever. But I did break my silence and told a small number of friends over the years – [redacted] was the first. Whilst not perfect they have proven to be really good friends. They continued to accept me as before and they gave me room (and someone to talk to) so I could figure things out without forcing their own views onto me. [redacted] has gone so far as to participate in an event against LGBT bullying.

I spent 3-4 years secretly reading up on all the ex-gay information I could find and trying to change myself. They contain a lot of lies about sexuality that are easy to believe when you are desperate. They even say bad things about you, my parents. At times over the last few years I blamed you for my sexuality and I am sorry for that. Because none of what I read was true. I was never abused, I am not emasculated, and you are fantastic parents.

After trying to change for so long and seeing no progress, nor any answer to my prayers, I reached a point where I knew that becoming straight would not be possible. Yet for me being a Christian and being gay were irreconcilable. I love God very much and it felt horrible to be in this position. I felt hurt because God wouldn’t fix me.

I finally did what I should have done many years ago – I studied what the bible truly said about homosexuality. I spent months learning as much as I could and when you ask for it I will show you my research. I have to say that I was surprised to find that the arguments against same-sex relationships, which had been repeated like gospel in church, were actually very weak. So eventually I came to accept who I am.

Being gay makes me special. Being a gay Christian makes me a testimony to the grace of God who loves me just as I am. The months since I have come to appreciate this have been the happiest in my life. I know that God loves me, and this is the most important thing. However, my relationship with you does mean a lot to me. I am still the same person as before and I hope that being gay will not affect the closeness we have shared.

I know that you do not approve of LGBT people. To be truly honest, you have made many comments over the years that I have found silently hurtful and this has made it much harder to come out to you. But the stereotype about gay people that the media and the church has made you believe is simply not true. Just because I am gay does not mean that I will sleep around or do drugs. I know several great Christian gay people in loving, committed relationships who show that whilst sexuality is not a choice, morality is.

I want to live my life in a way that still makes you proud. I love God and the way I have been able to help the less fortunate. My experience has given me a special concern for society’s rejects. As a gay Christian I have so many opportunities to kindly present God’s love in a way few can. I would not have chosen to be gay, but now I would not give it up. I love my life and I can’t keep this great part of it secret any longer.

I know this letter has been hard to read. As it took me years to accept myself, it may also take you some time. There is some help available. PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians And Gays) has a chapter in Brisbane. They can be found at http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/. I can also put you in touch with parents of other young, gay Christians and please feel free to talk to whoever you need to. I have other resources about homosexuality that I will give you as you feel you are ready.

I love you, and I will still love you whatever your response is. I know this is a challenging situation, but I also know that you are strong and will respond with the same love that Jesus would. I’m here to answer any questions you have.?

Love,

[redacted]

Thanks everyone for your support and help editing the letter. I couldn’t have possibly imagined things would work out this well. Having the support of my family will be such a huge thing with whatever challenges life throws my way. 🙂

It caps off a really big year for me. I’ve moved twice, changed jobs (and accomplished a lot in those jobs), are changing churches, bought a house church to its natural conclusion, been to Canberra to lobby for better aid (and are currently being encouraged to nominate for an associate board member role of a major advocacy organisation), have gotten involved in street ministry with the homeless, been to Sydney and Melbourne twice, made many new friends, completely changed my views on my sexuality, and have now come out. It’s been the best year of my life. I never thought this year would be like this. I feel like I know myself, and I love it.

RaulG

Joined in 2010
December 27, 2010, 15:03

Querido Summit,

Congratulations! I’m so very proud of you and your parents!

You are truly an inspiration for all gay men and women. As well as an inspiration for all people of faith.

Bravo!

May God continue to bless you as abundantly as your courage has blessed us all.

Yours in Christ,

Raul

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 27, 2010, 15:04

Hi Mr Summit

Wow!!!! This is absolutely amazing!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 I’m so thrilled for you. It’s like this is a miracle and to be honest I didn’t expect such a beautiful response from your parents. I feel like this outcome is positive beyond anyone’s wildest dreams.

Your letter was perfect and it seems that it was very helpful to your parents. I mean I thought it would be, regardless of their response, but again it has surpassed my expectations. I’m so glad you worked on it like you did and used that format. You well and truly improved it beyond our suggestions too.. so good for you! 🙂

I’m so proud of you and your parents! It makes feel quite emotional in fact.

And yes, this is the perfect way to finish off an amazing year for you. And now you can breathe a sigh of relief and start the New Year with that monkey off your back. Sure they may have questions, but the hardest bit is over. It takes enormous courage to come out and you’ve done it despite your understandable trepidation. Yay for you!

I can’t wait to hear others’ responses to this great news!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 27, 2010, 15:06

Querido Raul

Snap – great minds think alike! (i.e. we are both so proud of Mr Summit and his parents) 😉 😀

How exciting is this news?!

Whoo hooo!!!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
December 27, 2010, 15:16

Thanks 🙂

I didn’t really know what to expect. But they surprised me. I am so lucky. I almost feel silly now for feeling so worried all this time.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 27, 2010, 15:22

Hi Mr Summit

I don’t think you were being silly. You were going on past and current behaviours. i.e. They had made comments that were homophobic and also the Christian background was another obstacle to consider that might go against them accepting you.. However, miracles do happen and people do change. And it sounds like they have changed since they made comments in the past.. It also sounds a bit like they might have matured in their faiths, developing some of their own ideas separate to the church perhaps??

Anyway, you prepared well which has given both you and your parents every chance to adjust to this news in a positive way. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 28, 2010, 14:05

Lol. Spoken like a good evangelist 😉

F2B has been really helpful to me and its obviously a cause worth supporting. I had already planned to send some money F2B’s way once things have settled down and I can figure out what I can afford. I imagine that a network for gay people from pentecostal and charismatic backgrounds probably isn’t the biggest draw card for donations unfortunately.

hehe…..thanks. Yes I guess there are of lot of people out there who have gained a lot from the organisation but unaware that the only way we can survive…….actually more than survive…..but to grow is be individuals supporting the work financially….no matter how small or large…..every bit helps. Currently we have about 15 people supporting the organisation financially on a regular basis……and many of those are already giving a lot of time voluntarily as well. We are very grateful for this…….but more support will be most welcome.

thanks for considering this.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 28, 2010, 14:19

I stayed up late enough last night to watch the sun rise. I didn’t mean to, it just happened. I thought it was appropriate and it gave me a chance to reflect on the “new day” I have entered into.

I came out to my parents yesterday (boxing day). I had been planing on waiting until January, and some people were even praying towards that, but in the end I couldn’t wait. I had been staying at my parents place for the festivities and I got away for a short break on Christmas day. When I went for a walk the thought of just coming out now occurred to me. Everyone has time off, so people are around and we could all recover that way. And I couldn’t wait.

So on Christmas night I finished another draft of the letter and printed it out on my parents printer whilst they slept (2 copies). I was nervous about waking them up but they were tired enough to be out cold. On Boxing day were were heading over to my sister in law’s family’s place for lunch. After that we were back at my parent’s place for a few hours before I headed off to church (and then back home). As they sat down for a cup of tea I gave them each a copy of the letter and asked them to read it.

It was a pretty nerve raking few minutes whilst they read. :~

After they finished they just got up and walked over and gave me a hug. They told me that they’d always accept me no matter what. There were a few tears (as you can imagine). 🙂

We talked for a couple of hours. My parents were shocked. They had not suspected that I was gay though they had thought something was wrong over the years (like I felt guilty about something) and Mum had apparently made several comments to Dad that it was like I was trying to find myself. They said it also explained why I was so private. So I guess it filled in a few gaps.

They have been on their own journey with church and Christianity over the last few years and it seems that the timing was pretty good as they have been bought to a place where they were able to handle what I was saying. They didn’t want to argue with me over the bible though they were interested in what I thought the bible had to say so we talked briefly and I am going to send them the research I have done. They said that many of the comments they had made over the years didn’t reflect what they thought anymore and they were sorry, realizing that this would have made things harder.

They also said that they’d both experienced “interference” from their parents and because of this they didn’t want to force anything on my brother or I. They said that the main thing was that I was happy, and that I am true to myself.

As it turns out a close family friend is actually the grandmother of a gay Christian kid and a friend with several gay people so I have been told she will be really supportive. My mum says that with the extended family it is up to me (I probably wont bother though as I am not close to anyone) and that if anyone gives me any trouble they will have her to deal with. lol. 😀

Naturally, they are still working through the shock. And they don’t really understand what being gay means (it’s hard to explain stuff). But that’s ok. Maybe Love is an Orientation would help? Andrew Marin seems to be a straight guy with the best understanding of what being gay is like. Certainly AVB’s book is a bit much just yet. 😉

I plan to tell my brother in the next few days. My parents encouraged me to give him a letter as well, like I did with them. Then I will do everything else pretty quickly. Tell a few close friends that remain, and then make a Facebook note and come out publicly. It could be all done before the end of my holidays.

Afterwards I filled in a few people on what had happened, and decided to go out for the night and party. It was cause for celebration I thought!

Congrats to you my dear man. Well done. I have worked with so many people now to help them come out……I really am convinced that if it is done thoughtfully…..respectfully and strategically then in the majority of cases it has proved to be a positive experience and not what the individual was expecting.

Proud of you……and also proud of your parents…..they have responded as Christian parents should. Please give them regards and best wishes from your freedom 2 b[e] family.

When you think they are ready to read my autobiography…….make sure they read this first. I wrote it after the second edition was published so obviously it isn’t there.

http://gayambassador1.blogspot.com/p/intro-for-heterosexual-andor-christian.html

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
December 31, 2010, 18:26

So, it has been 5 days since I told my parents.

They have been going through the motions. Are still a bit shocked. And are grieving I guess (mainly for what I went through in the closet). There have been lots of questions. Being open is a strange feeling. It’s one I don’t think I was fully prepared for.

I told my brother and sister in law on Wednesday. It was very awkward setting up a meeting with them (they thought I was going to tell them that I had a girlfriend). But they are also very supportive.

I also told a close friend last night. They were shell shocked, but are ok with it. People have this image of what a gay person is, and it works very well for someone who is trying to stay in the closet.

I feel like the most blessed person in the world. I haven’t actually had a really bad reaction with anyone yet. I have a supportive family and friends. And I am learning what people really think of me… and it is actually pretty good. Which is a nice confidence booster. 🙂

I am pretty much ready to come out publicly now. I plan to do this with a note on Facebook and a change to my “interested to”, My parents have warned me to be cautious though. They say that whilst discrimination is illegal, it still happens. I don’t feel scared though. And I feel like being out generally is important for me. I know I still have a little bit of “healing” to do after hiding so long.

I was thinking about this and decided to tighten up the security on Facebook. I got rid of all the people I don’t talked to and threw a bunch more in the limited profile list. This way the only people who will have access to my story are the ones I want to.

As for the rest of the world (like work) they can find out through the grape vine or if it ever comes up in conversation. I am not going to worry about hiding it anymore. 🙂

So next week will be the final hurrah in what shall be known as Mr Summit’s coming out holidays…

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
January 2, 2011, 10:36

Hello Mr. Summit,

I don’t know if you know me, but I’m gettingthere, I’m 18, and I’m Canadian. Sorry for being totally nowhere during your entire story, I have been so caught up in other things that I wasn’t paying much attention to this community the last few months. Unfortunate for me, since I missed out on all these awesome developments! Darn! I’m working on reading through your thread and from what I’ve seen so far, your story is just AMAZING. So proud of you and so delighted to hear all the great things going on. All the best! Hope we can communicate more.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.185 seconds.