Forums

How to have THAT conversation with your pastor

Page:   1 2

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 14, 2009, 22:04

At AVB’s suggestion, I’m transplanting this discussion point which arose from discussion in the thread where Rivers has been telling us his inspiring story and updating us as the Spirit continues to work in his life.

I have a meeting in a few days with the senior pastor of an AoG church I’ve started attending recently. I love the church, and the Spirit is truly at work. Great things are happening. The senior pastor is an accomplished and passionate evangelist. He holds Crusades for goodness sake – how cool is that when you’re a little ex anglican/presbo/uniting boy like me (Holy Sunday Clubs as I unkindly call them). The church is very active in mission work and within the local community, and this pastor has planted several other churches which are doing well. I love to worship there, and whenever I am there, the Spirit comes to life within me and it is a very emotional experience. When I don’t go for a week or two I can’t stop thinking about it. In short, I feel called to this place. And yes, OK I’ll admit it, they just have the BEST band ever…

My meeting is to arrange full immersion / water baptism (I’ve only had the kiddie sprinkle) and generally to get to know the senior pastor a bit. I have instigated it. It was my intention to talk about my sexuality whilst I’m there, but now I’m thinking I should leave it until I have a relationship with the pastor. Who am I to demand immediate acceptance? Complicating this somewhat is that I sent an email 6 weeks ago asking the senior pastor his church’s position on gay people, and he responded by inviting me in “to talk about my concerns”. I don’t know if he will remember that email and associate it with me. My name was on it…

Rivers has kindly referred me to AVB’s website “Creating a space for change”. I can completely relate to the sexual diversity acceptance indicator continuum, and how people move from hatred to advocacy. I can see that I need to work out where my pastor is on the continuum (and I honestly suspect it is better than hatred – maybe discomfort or possibly tolerance), and then work to get him further across.

When do I “start work” on my pastor – when I’ve got his trust? And how do I do this? Should I just give him an edition of AVB’s book or of The Children are Free by Rev J Miner and JT Connoley (Found Pearl Press)? Surely I should not try to debate the scriptures with a phenomenal alpha male evangelist…? Last time I tried that with a pentecostal pastor, he told me he felt for me in his heart, but I had not pursuaded him and he could not journey with me – so best find another church. Ouch!

Do any guys and girls out there have some ideas on this?

Peace and love

Pentatropics

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 14, 2009, 22:47

just a warning to anyone who is planning on giving my book to a christian and/or heterosexual. Get them to read this before the read the book.

http://gayambassador.blogspot.com/2008/06/introduction-for-heterosexual-andor.html

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 14, 2009, 22:52

please dont be offended queenslanders but I remember from my days in the AoG that the further north the church the more conservative they were. Many of the unshiftable red neck attitudes came out of North Queensland……that may have changed. When I tried to introduce some contemporary expresssions of christianity my opponents were from the North.

we need to remember that our churches are on a journey about this issue as we are. We are just further along.

the way we handle our communication and relationships will determine whether we hasten the day of acceptance or hold it up.

JR

Joined in 2008
May 16, 2009, 17:46

Whoah rednecks?? Haha – I boarded at Shore! Still, pragmatism and shallow-mindedness are usually the order of the day, north of Noosa anyway.

Pentatropics, be encouraged! I’m sure you’re savvy enough to read the situation when it presents. Pray for favour, and for the Spirit to go ahead of you 🙂 Not sure how you’ll go come testimony time tho… I usually chicken out.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
May 16, 2009, 21:13

HMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

oooooo

Joined in 2006
May 16, 2009, 21:14

Yes i would tread very carefully Pentaltropics.

Even south of Noosa there are many rednecks. (Personal experience)

I know a few of the Pastors up that end of Qld and (not knowing which church) I do suggest careful prayer before too much is shared. It may sound very negative of me to say such so forgive me if that is how it seems.

In saying that, all the very best in the journey – water baptism and more. good on you.

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 17, 2009, 01:51

Ha ha – well now I’m REALLY scared – lol!

Thanks for your honesty guys. It’s important I get the true picture rather than being naiive. I think I’ll play it subtle. I’ll let you know how I get on.

God bless

Pent.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 27, 2009, 00:03

wise as serpents harmless as doves

Pentatropics

Joined in 2009
May 28, 2009, 23:46

wise as serpents harmless as doves

It sure feels like spiritual warfare…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 29, 2009, 01:26

possibly we need to consider what is the most appropriate thing to do at this stage with their level of understanding……wave the rainbow flag or just to be an example of Jesus Christ.

you know that old saying…..What would Jesus do?

Well I guess the relevant question to ask ourselves is What would Jesus do if he was gay?

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.045 seconds.