Forums

I need some help with hebrew words & their english derivatives <3

Page: 1

J

Joined in 2012
July 21, 2012, 09:59

Hey guys, for a while now I've been wanting to write a song about my brother's friend, Tim, who died 8-9 years ago at the age of 14, in a fishing tragedy. Here's what happened:

The fishing boat capsized and the four people on board were stranded in the pitch black out at sea for hours. Tim couldn't hang on any longer and was the 2nd victim to the unforgiving waters 🙁 there were 7 life jackets on the boat but only 1 surfaced, and the 4 people there made a group decision that Kirsty, the only female in the group, should take it. It was a good decision because she was the only sole survivor of the 4, and she was able to bring closure to family, friends and relatives. Unfortunately a year later though she was instantly killed in a car crash.

In a way I think all these things happened for a reason, because Tim's father had a really bad bone condition where his body slowly deteriorated to an unlivable state, and it's the most painful death. I believe he would have gone through the exact same thing later on in life because he had early signs of it, so in that respect I think God spared him that pain, but it still doesn't make it easy. I also believe Kirsty survived to bring closure to the family before death's list was ready to take her as well – sort of like the 'final destination' movies in a way.

The reason I feel so strongly towards writing a song about Tim is because when I was going through a lot of crap at school, he was the only one who made me feel special. I was being severely bullied at the time, and no one really took any notice of me. I was the loner, the loser kid always eating lunch in the corner with no one to talk to. After school one day my brother gave me this lickitung pokemon figurine and he said it was from Tim. Lickitung was my favourite pokemon and I don't know how he knew, but he did. I wanted to phone him to say thanks, but I was too busy procrastinating, playing Runescape (which is a game I played for 10 years and which also ironically saved my life many times) and so I forgot to. It is something I still regret to this day.

Because the next day my older brother came home really upset. I've never seen him so upset in my whole life. He didn't want to talk to mum and dad, so something was up. He finally shouted out 'Tim's dead'. My heart sank. He was such an amazing guy. I now know the full story of what happened, and it certainly doesn't make it easy. Every time I look at the sea now I think of Tim.

So I really want to write a song dedicated to Tim. I want it to sound similar to 'Blindside – Shekina'. Here is the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XjWnjoBj3A

I don't know what the title should be though. Apparently 'Shekina' means 'God's glory' in hebrew, but I was wondering if anyone else knows any good hebrew words for things relating to this story – as I don't want to copy the word Shekina 😉

Edit: I just noticed I typed "unforgiving waters", I do like that as a possible title, because water really is unforgiving! Although at the same time I think hebrew words which basically mean 'you're somewhere up there' or 'you're in a better place now' would be cool to, whatever words they may be. But anyway I digress…

Many thanks in advance guys <3

jamesn

Joined in 2009
July 21, 2012, 16:32

check out the hebrew term for God "El Shadia" several variations on its meaning – some of them may be helpful. Wikipedia will give you some background.

J

Joined in 2012
July 21, 2012, 17:26

Awesome, thanks James!

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 23, 2012, 14:33

Jordon

You may know all this already – if you do – my apologies. Do you know about Thayer ?

http://www.amazon.com/Thayers-Greek-English-Lexicon-New-Testament/dp/1565632095

So to use it you get yourself a parallel translation – Say – Zondervan that has the NIV, King James and the Greek Inter-Linear

a Strongs Concordance http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Strongs+Concordance (I dont know what the New Strongs is – mine is old and WELL used)

(So I'm not sure what translation you like but the NIV was the trendy one in the AOG when I was younger – but there is a reason to have the King James in there)

Find Verses that seem to say what you are interested in saying – – then look up the word used in the King James in the concordance – and it will give you a number ( that will be used in either thayer for the Greek – or in Gesenius for the hebrew ( http://www.amazon.com/Geneniuss-Chaldee-lexicon-Testament-Scriptures/dp/1130316491/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343017153&sr=1-6&keywords=Gesenius )

and that will give you the actual words – which then you can research more. Also a good parallel translation – (there are a number online too) can show you different mean – thats not a direct answer Im afraid but is to how to find out specific greek words.

J

Joined in 2012
July 23, 2012, 17:00

Thanks ShadowBoxer <3

I'll go onto those links now and do some research 😀 thanks again!

God Bless,

~Jordan

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.05 seconds.