Forums

In what way do you want Churches to change toward us as LGBTI people? What would you like to see happen in your church?

Page:   1 2

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 27, 2011, 15:54

I was just thinking, what is it exactly that we want changed regarding us in the church? I know what I’d like to see happen and I’ve heard a few peoples thoughts too but I think if I was to present a case, I’d love to have as many views as I can.

What is the most important thing to you, that needs changing in your church or any church? What is it you want to be able to do that you cant now? also once change does come in, for anyone that has been hurt , would you be able to trust and feel comfortable becoming part of a church again? or would you just follow God on your own outside of a congregation…..

( Im aware this could be a touchy subject for some, so I apologise now if even reading this causes discomfort) I do feel the more that people are aware of what we feel or have gone through, the closer we can come to helping people understand that change needs to happen.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 27, 2011, 18:44

Hi magsdee

Thanks for raising this.

So what would I like churches to do differently?

1) I’d like homosexuality to be a non issue in churches.

2) I’d also like Christians to be going to independent bible schools and studying scripture from hermeneutic, historical and cultural perspectives rather than just swallowing whole the interpretations of others that aren’t based on original languages, their own searching or any deep study. I think this would help people be more open minded around difficult topics like homosexuality.

3) I’d like to see more of an inter-faith approach where love is the main principle practised and people from all faiths and backgrounds are welcomed and there is a view to see commonalities rather than differences.

If the church applied these 3 things, my opinions would be more positive toward it. However I don’t know if these changes would entice me back although I’d never say never. It feels like too much time has elapsed and I’ve developed my own thinking and resources that are much broader than the church can offer.

I’m interested to know what others think.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 27, 2011, 21:05

1. I’d like people to ask questions

2. I’d like people to listen

3. I’d like gay and straight people to feel safe around each other

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
April 27, 2011, 22:08

I want sexuality to be as big a non-issue as being right or left handed.

But this is bigger than just LGBT acceptance by the church. What has happened to us is a pattern that has been repeated for centuries. We keep making scapegoats out of people.

I would like to see the church lead social change towards justice and equality for all people, rather than dragging the chain.

I want everyone to be accepted, as in really accepted, in church.

But, I don’t believe it’ll ever happen. What’s changed for me? I’ll never trust Christian teaching at face value ever again. And I wont believe a Christian when they tell me I am welcome or accepted until they prove it.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 27, 2011, 23:53

But, I don’t believe it’ll ever happen. What’s changed for me? I’ll never trust Christian teaching at face value ever again. And I wont believe a Christian when they tell me I am welcome or accepted until they prove it.

Really?

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 27, 2011, 23:58

How do you feel that a Christian can prove to you, that you are genuinely accepted Mr Summit? (i’m not being offended by your comment, im just interested 😉

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
April 27, 2011, 23:59

I believe the church will accept LGBT people. Thats inevitable. But I think it’ll just move on to attack another minority group.

Of course, I may just be a little cynical about christianity ATM. It’s been one of those days.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
April 28, 2011, 00:04

Let me add some context. When I came out, I had people tell me that it changed nothing and they still accepted me etc etc only to spew some serious venom later on.

But I have also had people who have been amazing. Just thinking about the support I have recieved from totally unexpected places puts a smile on my face.

So how do I know if people are telling the truth? I think they listen and stand up for you. Actions speak louder than words.

Edit: meant to quote magsdee. Doing this on my iPhone.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 28, 2011, 08:14

Yep I hear you Mr Summit, when people openly walk shoulder to shoulder with you it speaks loudly 🙂

oh my, i’ll be getting an iphone soon, either that or htc still tossing up :~

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
April 28, 2011, 17:04

1. I would like an open apology from Brian Houston and the team of pastors and leaders, followed by amendments to church documents, stating that LGBT are welcome to worship and to serve at church. Also removal of all ex-gay and anti-gay material in the resource centres.

2. I would like the church to talk about it and not just ignore the issue.

3. I would like to see the church’s charity arm help LGBT youth and people with HIV/AIDS. I would like the church to support organisations like Freedom 2 b[e] and where appropriate, develop a referral network.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.