Forums

Parents first time marchers in 2012 Mardi Gras

Page:   1 2

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 5, 2012, 13:15

Well were to start, what an experience, awesome, wonderful, fabulous, weird, crazy, different all words to describe our first march in the Mardi Gras. First I would like to say it was an honour and a privilege to be able to march. Since the Mardi Gras is a very special event for all LGBTI people (and everything in between) we felt very privilege and blessed that the whole LGBTI community as a whole is so accepting and welcoming of straight people into their parade. It didn't matter who we met or talked too everyone was so friendly and just having a really great time.They certainly know how to party.

You could not help but be in awe of some of the amazing costumes, the work, thought and effort that went into them. I felt very much for them wearing feathers, high heels, loads of makeup and glitter in the rain. But it certainly did not dampen anyone's spirits.

On the morning of the parade, I kind of wondered what we had got ourselves into, not nervous but just oh boy here we go. It was a wet overcast day, I'm sure we were all praying for it to fine up or at the very least stop raining for the parade. Armed with poncho's and our umbrella's hooked to our jeans we headed to the F2B meeting area. One of the Brisbane F2Ber's had bought some purple glitter and was kindly handing it around, many of us including myself opted for a small purple heart on our cheeks. We were all wearing our black F2B T/shirts specially designed for the day with "all you need is love" in white writing with a red heart on the front. We also had some different rainbow coloured bandanna's to wear however we saw fit. Another one of the Brisbane F2Ber's (who shall remain nameless) glammed up my hubby making him look fabulous with a pink sparkling hat and neck band. I have a photo of proof or is that blackmail 🙂 what a good sport, where can I post it 😛

After receiving our security passes we made our way down to Hyde Park. We were the first group in at around 4pm with a long long wait in the drizzle for the parade to start. Slowly other groups started to arrive, then things became very interesting as we walked around checking out all the other floats and participants. Hubby and I kind of felt a tad under dressed or maybe that's over dressed. Some people really go the whole hog, many had themes like the Hatter's tea party with the Queen of hearts, all the cards, white rabbit, was really amazing. Lots of glam, glitter and feather's. Our float was wonderful, lots of hearts, flowers, colours. Well done to the organising team, you did a fantastic job.

In the holding area, where all the marches waited and did the finally preparing on their floats, was a great atmosphere of joy, love, friendship, unity and one huge party. Everyone was in good spirits. Yes there were a few times when one did have to avert ones eyes as a few bare bums and the rest passed by. One of the areas that you didn't want to look to closely at was the urinals they had bought in specially, even others who had marched before thought that was a bit weird. Of course they were used, even have a photo of Ben's dad using one, well just posing for the photo but it looks real enough. Mmm another blackmail pic 🙂 There was only a few food vans in this area and no place to by coffee, that bit was a bit disappointing, lucky we did bring our own food.

The longer we waited the more the atmosphere built up and marchers were keen to get going. We could see the crowd that had gathered up Oxford street but had no idea the street was so long and that the crowd would be packed all the way along the 3km walk. All cheering, waving, smiling, yelling out words of encouragement, all there braving the weather just to cheer us all on.

This year we had 4 sets of parents there to support their children, 2 couples (well 1 1/2) had marched before, us (from Brissy) and another couple from Melbourne were real first timers. I have to thank Helen for going out of her way to make sure we were ok, introducing us to people and keeping us informed. It was awesome to meet the other parents, so great to see the open show of support, love and acceptance for their child. The parents were in the front row behind the truck holding a wet rainbow coloured flag. On the back of the truck were 3 very enthusiastic F2Ber's dancing, singing, waving, encouraging and motivating us to keep moving, waving, dancing, smiling, cheering, yelling, just be enthusiastic. They did a really awesome job. Up front was a few more F2Ber's holding the F2B banner and leading the way. We all looked pretty snazzy as a group wearing our matching shirts and a bit of colour of the bandanna's.

A big cheer went up and we were all filled with great excitement as we made our move and started the parade. As we headed down Oxford street there was a massive roar from the crowd, which kept up for the whole 3km's. Pretty hard to march, holding a flag, waving like crazy and a camera in the other hand but we did. Every time I looked across at my husband he had a big grin on his face and was waving like mad. I could hear my son hooting out at the crowd, also waving like mad with a grin from ear to ear. We had to keep changing waving arms as they would get sore. The rain helped keep us cool and did not in any way dampen anyone's spirit's in the march or in the crowd.

It was with a mixture of relief and sadness that we came to the end of the march. Relief as I was getting tired, sadness as that was it, it was all over. Our son and us looped back around to watch the rest of the parade. The rain had stopped by then and the wind had come up, drying us out but after a while also making us very cold. We became part of the crowd that was screaming, waving, getting high five's, cheering on the marcher's. At one point there was a definite change in the marching participants, lets say it became not so family friendly as we saw more bare bod bits than we had every seen before. One of the funny parts was someone marched by with a box on his head, we were all laughing at them, as he walked past my son's eyes followed him along and then he went "oh he doesn't have any pants on", was kinda funny.

The gaps between each float seemed to be getting longer and longer as they danced and did their set routines down the street. The parade hadn't quite finished but I was freezing, and in need of a hot cuppa and shower. Our son joined the rest of the F2Ber's at their after party while hubby and I made the long long walk back to our accommodation in the massive crowds of people, we had grid lock several times.

We were totally exhausted but we had an awesome time, an experience that will never be forgotten and never be replaced, it was everything we expect and more. We felt appreciate and welcomed by all the F2Ber's. It was evident that they really appreciate all the parents being there.

It would be great to have some of the other parents add to this post and share their experience.

Would we do it again yes but maybe not every year, hopefully one day we will be there will a full showing of our family with our other son and wife. Would we recommend it to other parents absolutely, would we encourage other F2Ber's to march, you better believe it. You honestly have to do it at least once.

It would also be great to hear from the son's whose parents marched this year, how was it for you to have your parents marching with you. I'm sure not only will it encourage your parents to do it again it will encourage other parents reading this post who are kinda thinking, maybe one day, they will march.

Well done everyone 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 5, 2012, 15:42

Hi Mother Hen

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive account of your amazing experience. Well done too for participating in the march. 🙂

Yours and the other parents' support is so very appreciated.

Thank you again!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
March 5, 2012, 15:42

Wow, what a great report! So glad you made the big trip to Sydney for the event. I just love the support you and hubby give in many ways. God bless ~ david

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 5, 2012, 15:57

I should also mention Anthony's daughter and granddaughter (also a first timer) marched too. It was really great to meet both of them. We had a lovely long chat to Anthony's daughter on the Friday night. They are both really lovely.

sarab

Joined in 2011
March 5, 2012, 21:56

I just love this post Mother Hen – thank you for sharing. Not only do I have a bit of a mental picture – I can also sense the significant symbolism behind the decision of you and your husband to march – Such support of your son – support for other GLBTI people and a real affirmation of the journey (no doubt involving some highs and lows) that you as parents have been on. Thank you for the way you continue to encourage other people. if I was with you right now i'd give you a big hug!!

Sarab xxx

davidt

Joined in 2009
March 5, 2012, 22:23

It was really special you went to support your son. Thanks for the story of the day.

Davidt

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 7, 2012, 12:56

Was lots of fun 🙂

Boi70

Joined in 2007
March 7, 2012, 22:38

Thanks Mother Hen for being there. It was truly wonderful, amazing and heartfelt having family members supporting the respective children, fathers, grandfathers. It was loads of fun as well, especially seeing your 'hubby' glammed up for Mardi Gras. 🙂

It was also especially fantastic feeling one with everyone there – feeling the absolute freedom in our expression of who we are as individuals and collectively.

Last year, before the Mardi Gras March, Anthony told us that we would never be the same, and that 'shame' would continue to loose its effect or any impact on us – that it would simply fall away. At the time, I didn't truly understand the significance of his words. But I can attest to the fact, that over the last year, even for someone, who has been 'out' and 'proudly gay' for some years, I have recognised that I have really begun to drop the last remaining pretences to hiding my self, my life…

As we began the march, I felt an incredible sense of exhileration sweep through me from head to toe, and back again. Again, I wondered at how much my life has changed for the better, and here I was walking proudly up Oxford Street, unafraid that I would be seen by all those people, whether they were standing on the crowd on the side lines of the march, or through a TV in their homes. Again, I had a complete sense of oneness with those in the Freedom2b group marching in the drizzle and rain that night. The rain didn't matter. In fact, it made me want to wave my arm harder, and call out louder to those people about the wonderful experience that we were having.

As we marched up those first 100 or so meters, I made a decision to reachout and touch the hands of countless hands of onlookers and parade officials, connecting with each of them, even if for just a second. Their excited faces beamed back at me, as I realised the power of the moment – the connection between strangers, the moment of celebration, the look of amazement as our hands touched and I was connecting wth them – suddenly, the march became less about me, and more about how they would remember that night – how much that one moment of contact, our beaming faces, our celebration of freedom inspired both of us.

The further we marched, a sea of faces was there to welcome us. At times, there were so many hands reaching out to touch mine, that I was almost afraid to miss at least one. There were older people seated in fold up chairs, who couldn't stand and reach out to me – so, I stopped and gently touched their outstretched hands; and there were little children with their parents, shyly reaching out to me as well. How much did mine or others contact with them effect them – what will they remember and think about that Mardi Gras night; and there were teenagers, standing boldly amongst their friends; and members of the LGBTI community from Sydney and afar standing shoulder to shoulder in the drizzling rain, smiling back at me – and some even blowing me kisses. 😉

Before I knew it, I realized that we were approaching the end of the parade route. I was surprised, and just a little tired. But most of all, I was proud of myself and our group for walking proudly along the parade route. It was more than just a march along Oxford and Flinders Streets – it was part of our journey of freedom! We had done it as individuals – and best of all, we had done it together!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 8, 2012, 09:35

Hi Boi70

Thanks for posting this! 🙂

Another powerful experience of Mardi Gras captured here..

I especially love this part of your account:

As we marched up those first 100 or so meters, I made a decision to reachout and touch the hands of countless hands of onlookers and parade officials, connecting with each of them, even if for just a second. Their excited faces beamed back at me, as I realised the power of the moment – the connection between strangers, the moment of celebration, the look of amazement as our hands touched and I was connecting wth them – suddenly, the march became less about me, and more about how they would remember that night – how much that one moment of contact, our beaming faces, our celebration of freedom inspired both of us.

The further we marched, a sea of faces was there to welcome us. At times, there were so many hands reaching out to touch mine, that I was almost afraid to miss at least one. There were older people seated in fold up chairs, who couldn't stand and reach out to me – so, I stopped and gently touched their outstretched hands; and there were little children with their parents, shyly reaching out to me as well. How much did mine or others contact with them effect them – what will they remember and think about that Mardi Gras night; and there were teenagers, standing boldly amongst their friends; and members of the LGBTI community from Sydney and afar standing shoulder to shoulder in the drizzling rain, smiling back at me – and some even blowing me kisses.

Those moments of connection and freedom are so transcending and healing, aren't they? And sometimes we never know how much our connection means to others but it's good to think about. Anything is possible in those moments.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 8, 2012, 12:02

Hi Boi70,

Thanks for posting your experience. Yes there was certainly a feeling of freedom there, everyone happy to be there and express who they are. It was certainly a powerful experience, I'm sure for all who marched.

So wonderful that as you started to march you reflected on how much things had changed for the better for you, that you could be open in who you are and feel such unity with all the other F2B marcher's. So different than the Mardi Gras in the early years, we have a lot of strong courageous people who have gone before us to thank for that, people like Anthony who stood up for what they believed, stood up for what they knew was right. Hugs to you Anthony 🙂

Like Ann Maree I liked the decision you made to touch all the outreached hand, especially this bit

There were older people seated in fold up chairs, who couldn't stand and reach out to me – so, I stopped and gently touched their outstretched hands;

So beautiful, there were people from all age generations, so wonderful to see. We were blown away by the number of people.

When we looped back around to watch the rest of the march when we finished we were some of those people with out stretched hands reaching out to the other marchers, beaming, laughing, cheering wishing them the best. Awesome 🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.05 seconds.