Forums

Pastor Lawrence Khong is Being a Naughty Boy with Online Petitions Against Petitions Against Health Promotion Board and a Guide to Supporting Article 377A

Page: 1

Brunski

Joined in 2005
February 19, 2014, 15:07

Singapore Pastor and anti-gay activist Lawrence Khong has revealed himself as behind an online anti-gay petition to remove information from the Public Health Bureau’s website and is most likely responsible for a guide on how to support Article 377A, which also surfaced this week.

Paster Lawrence Khong has been making headlines this week as he continues his attempt to crackdown on homosexuality in Singapore. The founder of Faith Community Baptist Church and LoveSingapore movement once referred to the LGBT rights movement as the “onslaught of the evil one.” Last week we reported that Singapore’s Health Promotion Board online FAQ described being gay as normal and had sparked petitions both for and against. The site states “Homosexuality and bisexuality are not mental illnesses. Studies show that sexual orientation has no bearing on mental health or emotional stability.”It also explains that there is no way to change a person’s sexuality: “It is important to note that nothing someone encounters in life can ‘make’ one gay, lesbian or bisexual. Although events in life can help clarify gender identity and sexual orientation, sexual experience is not necessary to understand sexual orientation.”Attention was only bought to the resource after an online petition to have the information removed was revealed. This petition, founded by ‘Aaron’ states, “Following public moods, popular trends or making unsubstantiated statements will not help to bring clarity on the issue at all, nullifying the very purpose of the FAQ itself.” A couple of weeks of accusations and many anti-gay comments on Khong’s facebook followed. In one of them he demanded a public enquiry to uncover who is responsible for an online brochure which “failed to warn the public of the high health risks associated with the homosexual lifestyle.”At the weekend Khong revealed he was behind the online petition. He stated “do not remain silent. Let our voices be heard and sign the petition at gopetition.fcbc.org.sg to request the Minister for Health to conduct a thorough review of the information on HPB's website. We are aiming for at least 25,000 signatures so that our message is clearly heard.”Meanwhile, a guide entitled “family.foundation.future SUPPORT 377A, a simple guide to giving feedback” which is believed to be addressed to pastors and leaders under the Love Singapore movement, has been leaked and is being shared on social media.The guide is believed to be written by Lawrence Khong: The contact email addresses provided in the guide are to persons working in LoveSingapore, the movement chaired by KhongIn the guide, Khong urges the church to take action against the possible repealing of Section 377A, noting that the potential legalization of homosexuality would have a “negative impact on the moral future of Singapore,” especially if the church remains part of “the silent majority”.Khong goes on to say “Repealing 377A will, in effect, decriminalise sodomy or legalise homosexual acts. This will lead to the legalisation of same-sex marriage down the road. We must unite to keep 377A intact as the moral norm, the law of the land.” “The voice of the LGBT is growing louder. If they succeed in repealing 377A, this will lead to a loss of religious freedom as seen in other countries. Out goes religious harmony, something so unique to Singapore. It’s crazy. We build with one hand and destroy with the other. Do the right thing, 377A must stay!”The guide outlines a number of ways to register “unwavering support” for Secion 377A. These include a Facebook status update with the statement, “I support 377A” and liking any pro-Section 377A Facebook comments online. The pastor of the megachurch also urges the church to write to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, cabinet members and feedback unit REACH about their support of Section 377A. The guide details the contact addresses of the Prime Minister and MPs.The guide goes so far to give detailed suggestions on how to express distaste for homosexuality. Quotes to use include: "I have homosexual friends. I do not discriminate against them. I care about them. But I do not support their alternative lifestyles.” And "I wish to register my point of view that gay and lesbian behaviour is unnatural. Same sex marriage is wrong. It must not become the norm in Singapore."Khong at least seems aware that his comments are contentious and states that the guide is not for mass distribution as “not every person will be sympathetic.”

Paster Lawrence Khong has been making headlines this week as he continues his attempt to crackdown on homosexuality in Singapore. The founder of Faith Community Baptist Church and LoveSingapore movement once referred to the LGBT rights movement as the “onslaught of the evil one.”

Last week we reported that Singapore’s Health Promotion Board online FAQ described being gay as normal and had sparked petitions both for and against. The site states “Homosexuality and bisexuality are not mental illnesses. Studies show that sexual orientation has no bearing on mental health or emotional stability.”

It also explains that there is no way to change a person’s sexuality: “It is important to note that nothing someone encounters in life can ‘make’ one gay, lesbian or bisexual. Although events in life can help clarify gender identity and sexual orientation, sexual experience is not necessary to understand sexual orientation.”

Attention was only bought to the resource after an online petition to have the information removed was revealed. This petition, founded by ‘Aaron’ states, “Following public moods, popular trends or making unsubstantiated statements will not help to bring clarity on the issue at all, nullifying the very purpose of the FAQ itself.”

A couple of weeks of accusations and many anti-gay comments on Khong’s facebook followed. In one of them he demanded a public enquiry to uncover who is responsible for an online brochure which “failed to warn the public of the high health risks associated with the homosexual lifestyle.”

At the weekend Khong revealed he was behind the online petition. He stated “do not remain silent. Let our voices be heard and sign the petition at gopetition.fcbc.org.sg to request the Minister for Health to conduct a thorough review of the information on HPB's website. We are aiming for at least 25,000 signatures so that our message is clearly heard.”

Meanwhile, a guide entitled “family.foundation.future SUPPORT 377A, a simple guide to giving feedback” which is believed to be addressed to pastors and leaders under the Love Singapore movement, has been leaked and is being shared on social media.

The guide from LoveSingapore movement which has surfaced online

The guide is believed to be written by Lawrence Khong: The contact email addresses provided in the guide are to persons working in LoveSingapore, the movement chaired by Khong

In the guide, Khong urges the church to take action against the possible repealing of Section 377A, noting that the potential legalization of homosexuality would have a “negative impact on the moral future of Singapore,” especially if the church remains part of “the silent majority”.

Khong goes on to say “Repealing 377A will, in effect, decriminalise sodomy or legalise homosexual acts. This will lead to the legalisation of same-sex marriage down the road. We must unite to keep 377A intact as the moral norm, the law of the land.”

“The voice of the LGBT is growing louder. If they succeed in repealing 377A, this will lead to a loss of religious freedom as seen in other countries. Out goes religious harmony, something so unique to Singapore. It’s crazy. We build with one hand and destroy with the other. Do the right thing, 377A must stay!”

The guide outlines a number of ways to register “unwavering support” for Secion 377A. These include a Facebook status update with the statement, “I support 377A” and liking any pro-Section 377A Facebook comments online.

The pastor of the megachurch also urges the church to write to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, cabinet members and feedback unit REACH about their support of Section 377A. The guide details the contact addresses of the Prime Minister and MPs.

The guide goes so far to give detailed suggestions on how to express distaste for homosexuality. Quotes to use include: "I have homosexual friends. I do not discriminate against them. I care about them. But I do not support their alternative lifestyles.” And "I wish to register my point of view that gay and lesbian behaviour is unnatural. Same sex marriage is wrong. It must not become the norm in Singapore."

Khong at least seems aware that his comments are contentious and states that the guide is not for mass distribution as “not every person will be sympathetic.”

– See more at: http://www.fridae.asia/gay-news/2014/02/17/12557.pastor-lawrence-khong-is-being-a-naughty-boy-with-online-petitions-against-petitions-against-health-promotion-board-and-a-guide-to-supporting-article-377a#sthash.XpVhOevt.dpuf

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.