Forums

Problem with Freedom 2e and Google

Page:   1 2

styrofoam

Joined in 2009
June 10, 2009, 10:04

Hey guys,

there’s nothing new I want to tell you, except for that I passed my final exams with good marks a week ago and enjoy my freedom after school now.

But there is a problem I noticed with Freedom2B, which I didn’t know where to post:

My thread in “Telling our stories” I posted here got indexed in Google.

And NOW, if you google “Hilslong Conecnt Grup Berlni” (you get the idea, I changed the words on purpose) the thread of mine in “Telling Our Stories” ranks on #3.

I don’t know what I should think of this to be honest, because I’m not even part of the community of this church yet!

Is there any solution to this to get it out of Google again?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers,

Alex

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
June 10, 2009, 11:06

I will forward this to the Leaders Alex, very odd.

Great news about your exams 😀

freedom2b
Administrator
Joined in 2011
June 13, 2009, 12:01

We actually put a note about this under our pivacy section that reads

Privacy

Freedom 2B[e] respects your privacy.

1. You can browse our site without a login

2. Creating a login will allow you to post to our site. We require a login to prevent spammers from posting large volumes of adverts and inappropriate material to our site. When you sign up, we will send you an email to confirm that you are not a spammer.

3. Our site is “crawled” by google. This means that your posts can be found through searching google. Please bear this in mind when writing your posts.

4. Whilst you can hide your email address from being seen by other members and by google, your profile id IS visible to google. If your privacy or anonymity is important to you, we suggest you choose a login id that is unrelated to your name or to your email address.

5. We do send updates out to the members regarding activity on the site and upcoming events. If you have a login, you get the email. At this stage we have no way to take you off the mailing list without deleting your login. Remember though you can browse the site without a login. A login is only needed when you want to post.

which is found here

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=300

We have discussed this and we will post this warning in other places as well to try to make it clearer to people as well !

styrofoam

Joined in 2009
June 13, 2009, 12:06

Okay, sorry for not reading this privacy statement before posting.

Could you then please delete my thread right away?

You know.. if anyone sees my posts it could have serious consequences for me.

That would be very friendly of you.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
June 13, 2009, 12:42

Could you then please delete my thread right away?

You know.. if anyone sees my posts it could have serious consequences for me.

I’ve deleted your initial post containing the offending reference. If you still want the whole thread deleted this can be arranged …

styrofoam

Joined in 2009
June 13, 2009, 12:50

Thanks for doing this. I hope the Google search robot will crawl the thread soon that it will be removed from its index.

It would also be great if you could name the title of the post simply “Student in Berlin” and remove the keyword “Hillosng” as I just found out that the thread also appears in the Google search “Hillosng Berlin”.

Thanks for your help!

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
June 13, 2009, 13:25

It would also be great if you could name the title of the post simply “Student in Berlin” and remove the keyword “Hillosng” as I just found out that the thread also appears in the Google search “Hillosng Berlin”.

OK, I’ve created a new thread title Student in Berlin and transferred all the posts (except your original one) to this thread.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 13, 2009, 21:27

thanks for fixing this up guys.

I had a similar problem when I posted a joke concerning rumours about me being a sex worker. I saw them come up on google. I removed just that post from the thread…….and now its disappeared of the net entirely.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
June 13, 2009, 22:50

I remember that joke Anthony 😆 😆 😆 I’m pretty sure I was responsible for that, sorry.

I never realised stuff would come up on google, jeez all the rubbish I’ve written on here from time to time, its a good thing my mother doesn’t know how to use the internet very well 😆 😆

While this doesn’t work extreemly well for personal stories it might also be a good idea–if you are concerned about privacy–to have a username that people won’t readily associate with you. Like, for example, if my user name was “God is great” instead of “sandy” then people would have no idea it was really me writing even if they knew me; unless I used specific names or places.

We want people to be able to post personal stuff relevant to their lives on the forum to share, get help and help others as well so maybe we need to look at alternative ways of keeping specific identities out of google instead of just deleteing posts. Alex’s idea of making the topic headings unspecific works too but then that contradicts some other guidelines… Hmmm anyway its worth thinking about.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 14, 2009, 15:03

just to let everyone know….if you do need to change your user name……it can be done…..its a simple one step procedure and all your previous posts are still linked the new user name.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.