Forums

Returning to worship - are you ready yet?

Page:   1 2

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 21, 2009, 13:59

How does one know when they’re ready to return to worship, assuming you want to re-engage with organised fellowship, for whatever reason? I have deliberately avoided using the phrase “going back to church” in the subject, as I want to broaden the discussion to take into account other worship options that might be available.

From my personal story, leaving a church was a traumatic experience, in that my core beliefs were shaken to their very foundations, in addition to the social consequences of no longer having contact with life-long friends. I went through a period of “shut-down” where I had no communion with a God that I had grown up to love and worship as being a healer and provider for so many.

But, as some of us (including myself) may have experienced, belonging in a church ocassionally presents issues with conflicting personalities, agendas, motives etc that can undermine ones faith in the system, and can lead to disillusionment with religion altogether. This is certainly one issue that would influence my returning to worship, and I would want some support services available to help me to grow in my faith.

Back to my original question: is it simply enough to return to an organised fellowship when one “feels” they are ready? What are the potential pitfalls if one rushes into a decision?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 21, 2009, 21:51

this is a really great question mobileguy……I’ll certainly be sharing a bit myself here……I have a bit on ATM but maybe in a day or so.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 24, 2009, 00:56

I’d like to see everyone who still has a faith go back to church…..in fact a number from F2B have. But as you know its not our agenda.

its a brave move I can tell you.

I felt it was like a calling for me…..so would never tell anyone else what they should do.

if you plan to go back to church you need to be very confident in the rightness of your sexual orientation. that is that your sexual orientaion is actually amoral not immoral.

what you will find is that there are people in churches who no longer believe the old teaching that all homosexuals go to hell or that they must change…….and of course there are still those who do.

this is a new phonmena.

So you hang out with those who love you unconditionally and leave the others in thier ignorance till we reach critical mass.

Sadly I dont know of any pentecostal church here at this stage that will let you be in ministry if you are openly gay. If you keep it quiet….that is a different story.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 26, 2009, 21:01

Yeah, I think the trick is finding that worship environment where you feel totally comfortable and don’t feel threatened by the possibility that you might be shunned by other people if you’re out.

Maybe home groups would be a good place to begin with, given their smaller size and more informal nature? From a theological perspective, they sound like a great place to build up your faith so that you’re able to be more involved in the life of a church …

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 26, 2009, 21:26

thats a good idea mobileguy……hadn’t really thought of that…..I guess it could ease you into things.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
March 29, 2009, 08:06

The way I eased back into church was staying in the shadows and just not giving up after my first return, I just sat and listened and responded how I felt I could.

A home group idea is awesome 😀 been playing with that thought for 2yrs now, such a non threatening way to ease back into worship and just hanging out with others. If you ever wanted to not go alone to a service somewhere, Id join you 😉 but either mcc church is so comfy to attend, as Im sure the F2B’ers who go will tell you, theirs either Petersham or Paddington.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
April 1, 2009, 08:37

I do not go to church anymore but i do admit, i do sometimes have the yearning to “worship” in a crowd of like minded blievers, seeing the working and moving of the spirit of god amongst the people. Mind you, in most pente churches that does not happen anyway, it is all still controlled and manipulated, kept to time restraints etc etc etc so if i could find a church like that , with if they know about me, they would still allow me to attend, that would be great.

But worship should and can be every day on our own. But a corporate body in worship is an experience to cherish, if it is true worship that is.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
April 6, 2009, 17:14

Sometimes I do feel a sense of not being quite complete! 💡 I was sooo involved in my former church that it burnt me out as well as ‘burnt’ me! My partner has returned to MCC and is part of the worship there and feels a great sense of satisfaction doing this. Me however does not want to be expected to turn up regularly, if at all. I want to but then again I don’t want to ever again at the same time.Does that make sense?

It can be a little hard because she so wants me to go and support her and maybe get a bit involved but I dont want any expectations of me in this area. I do go on the odd occassion but thats all I want to do.

I believe fellowship with other likeminded people is what I can handle right now and the Melb chapter group gives me that at the moment. 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 7, 2009, 11:25

i think we can take things really slowly and just go with the flow. the old model is total committment two services and at least one midweek meeting……well thats what I used to preach and expect……hehe.

Just go when you feel like it…..don’t feel pressured……that way you’ll usually enjoy the experience as you are not going because you feel obligated.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
April 8, 2009, 13:09

After the trauma of leaving my old church last year, I didn’t go anywhere for about 4-5 months. It was only once I actually started missing the idea of corporate worship – singing in particular, that I started looking for a new place.

I’ve found a new place now, but I go fairly intermittently. And the great thing is, I’m not feeling any PRESSURE to do more than that. I’ve sat down for lunch with the Minister and talked to her about what happened and where I’m coming from, and I think she really understands that the best thing that can happen now is just for me to feel welcome when I am there, whether it’s once a week or once a month.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.083 seconds.