Forums

Senate recommends equalise marriage

Page: 1

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
June 25, 2012, 20:19

It’s a historic day. The Australian Senate’s inquiry into marriage equality has reported back to Parliament this afternoon, strongly recommending a change to the Marriage Act.

79,200 submissions to the inquiry were received, with the Senate saying this was an “unprecedented” number of views, many of them heartfelt opinions about an issue they felt very strongly about. Of them, 59% were in favour of marriage equality, with 41% against.

“What marriage was many decades years ago is different to what we have in our country today,” noted the inquiry.

“It’s time to accept same-sex couples choose to stay together for the rest of their lives, because they are deeply in love.”

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/8588/Senate-strongly-backs-marriage-equality.htm

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 26, 2012, 04:27

Great news! I'm not totally surprised; the 59%/41% split mirrors opinion polls elsewhere. I'm interested to see what will happen in Canberra for this – and whether it will stick should the Libral Party form government in 2013. Still, nothing will happen at all unless Tony Abbott approves a concience vote for his Opposition, and even then are there going to be enough small-l liberals in his party to make up for votes lost to socially-conservative Labor party members?

Anyway, I'm kind of bummed I'm off in another country while all this is going on! I want to be part of it!

axiom

Joined in 2009
June 26, 2012, 09:40

This is a big deal. It doesn't mean the legislation will pass- that will not happen without a conscience vote on for all parties-but two coalition Senators supported the recommendations. That is huge. The report (as was the House of Reps report tabled last week) is an excellent analysis of the available evidence and issues of legislation. Much will be made by ACL and others of the dissenting reports, but it is the analysis of the majority report (and in the Reps case, the committee's report) that will provide the foundation for the ongoing dialogue. "The committee found" is a compelling piece of argument. For those who are interested the senate report can be found here:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=legcon_ctte/marriage_equality_2012/report/index.htm

and the house report here:

http://www.aph.gov.au/parliamentary_business/committees/house_of_representatives_committees?url=spla/bill%20marriage/report.htm

There was a LOT of work that went into these reprots and a lot of skill from the research officers and committee staff. The next step is the bills will be debated, although it is likely that the parties will work together to put up a single bill (which will probably be defeated if things remain as they are)

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 26, 2012, 11:52

Thanks for the links. I haven't read the reports themselves so I'll have a read through them once I come back from my holiday (I'm in California right now – woo!) Sounds like they'll be an interesting read.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 26, 2012, 16:59

Awesome news. It might not happen overnight but change is a coming and we will see same sex marriage in Australia.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 26, 2012, 22:53

This is fantastic. Thanks for keeping us informed about this. 🙂

Kind Regards,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.028 seconds.