Forums

Surviving the critics

Page:   1 2 3

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
April 2, 2009, 00:01

How do you do it? I mean, what do you do when people are on your back and you are the only one who believes as you do? How do you survive when you have to fight – alone – against your family, your friends, your church, your teachers and every one of them believes that you are rebeling against everything that they stand for?

I know that I should think positively and hope for the best. Create the future you want in your mind first and all that. The only problem is, based on everything I’ve seen, I can’t for one second see anything good happening. In a matter of weeks, our class is going to be taught that homosexuality is wrong, that society is twisting things to fit themselves, and I, the gay Christian kid, am not looking forward to that day. In fact, the word ‘survive’ is probably an appropriate word to use for this situation, because I’m starting to fear that, given the contreversial nature of it all, a firestorm might come up and I’m scared. I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. I don’t want to just sit there and look down at my notebook stupidly for the whole forty-five minutes, but at the same time, I don’t want to have people talking about me – me, who has been at this freaking school for years, longer than all of them except my (homophobic) elder brother- in the way that I know they’ll be talking. Maybe not me specifically (hopefully not me specifically) but it’ll be me they speak of every time they speak of gays as evil and it’ll be me they speak of every time they speak of gays as perverse and it’ll be me they speak of every time they speak of gays as abominable and I don’t know what I’m going to do.

I know that I have managed to achieve a level of peace and normalcy in my life that I am so grateful for. But at the same time, I realize more and more that my wounds haven’t yet been healed and I’m fearing that this will just turn into a trigger that is going to cause something to break. I don’t think I’m going to get a chance to say what I want – because saying what I want to say, in this class, constitutes a twisting of the word of God, and is an example of what we are going to be trained to go against in this class. In short, I’m really not ready for this and I feel more and more like I’m sliding closer and closer to a vicious thunderstorm and even though I know I have a small number of supporters, I feel almost like I’d rather just have nothing and live my life alone in a vaccuum than go through this. So what in the world am I supposed to do? Anyone?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 2, 2009, 12:05

this is a very difficult situation for sure gettingthere.

I think you really need to look after yourself and determine what is best for you at this time.

One of those options might be to remain silent.

Another option is that you could present another point of view without disclosing your sexuality. of course some people might guess….but hey….they are doing that anyway. So in other words don’t make it so personal.

you could talk about new research you’ve read….about the gay christian movement….use my article on change that is happening. Email me if you want a copy.

Ask for the class to do a project and let them self discover.

this happens every two years at the Assemblies of God bible college here in Sydney……and every time they come up with the same conclusions……..the pentecostal world has responded inappropriately to the gay community and the pentecostal world needs to look again at the issue of homosexuality because it is not a black and white issue. These are the leaders of tomorrow.

it begins with one…..I remember when i was the only openly gay pentecostal in Australia….this is no longer the case…….but its a calling…..and maybe God is not calling you to be the one……so dont stress……you haven’t failed by remaining silent.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
April 2, 2009, 20:44

Thanks Anthony.

I guess one of the problems is that the class is VERY structures. We follow this pattern for every lesson and I don’t think we’ll be straying from it at all. I don’t know. Maybe I should try to ask about something. I’ll think about it some more.

(BTW, I’m sure almost everyone at my school knows I’m gay, they just don’t talk about it. And that’s not me being suspicious, I actually know that. So almost anything I say will come off as being personal, I think.)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 3, 2009, 01:38

Maybe you could come up with some really good questions….I think you are pretty well read on the topic any way but here are some that come to mind.

1. I read something that the word homosexual didn’t appear in an English translation of the bible till 1946. Is that true?

2. If Sodom was destroyed because it was full of homosexuals who wanted to have sex with angels, why did Lot offer his daughters to the crowd of men.

3. If someone is born trangender should they live a life that is aligned with their internal psychological and emotional wiring or their physical gender

4. Why is it that every time a woman has another son it increases the chances of him being gay by a third.

5. What does God think about intersex people.

Asking intelligent questions can achieve several things.

1. Shows how well researched you are

2. May show up the lack of knowledge of those teaching outdated views of sexuality

3. Makes other students think

4. Some students will already have doubts. Your questions will encourage them to think for themselves and not just accept everything dished up to them.

5. Be asking questions you are not directly challenging or arguing……..just inquiring. 😀 😀 😀

oooooo

Joined in 2006
April 3, 2009, 09:27

gettingthere My heart goes out to you in a massive way.

All of what Anthony says is very good. But …. if you are not feeling strong enough to speak up, and if you are not feeling strong enough to sit in that class and stay silent (which depending on your teacher) might not be possible if it is a “discussion lesson” and all are expected to contribute …. then be “sick” that day. I am serious. I am studying education, to be a teacher, I also have 3 kids (all teenagers) and although I do not think this is a good idea for 99% of the time, I think, if you are not feeling strong in spirit and mind and emotion then be “ill” that day. The downside to that is your assessment on the issue. Depending on what that is will also determine whether my suggestion is a valid one or not.

My kids can defend homosexuality and other issues/causes in class because they now attend a state high school. They use to go to a christian school and such things were almost impossible for them. So from that perspective I know all that you are talking about.

Your decision, whatever you do, us on freedom will support you to the enth degree. Hearts, thoughts and prayers are all for you here ‘gettingthere’.

😉

one last thought … Use the wonderful phrase killed to death “what would Jesus do?” if you get the response he would hate them etc, “please, show me in scripture how Jesus showed us that way?” Are we not meant to be mirrors of Jesus. He never even mentioned homosexuality. So not a big deal to Him I would dare say, looking at it scripturally.

Anyway, all the very best.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 4, 2009, 18:06

good thinking Tez…….take a sickie gettingthere if you feel you need to.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
April 4, 2009, 18:56

hi gettingthere,

I am sorry that you’re feeling that this class is going to be such a negative experience for you and I am really feeling for you here. I think that it would be completely reasonable to absent yourself from that class if you’re not feeling able to face it at this time. by absenting yourself, you’re removing yourself from the stress and pain of it, and you don’t have to listen to a one eyed presentation which has the potential to be so damaging to your emotional and mental wellbeing.

You could also take the approach of asking some pertinent questions if you feel strong enough and if you’re given opportunity, but your safety comes first.

I’ll be thinking of you, and praying for you.

Lamb

Joined in 2005
April 7, 2009, 09:54

Dear Getting there,

God has blessed you mightily and you live in a time and place where you can get much support and there is much knowledge out there on being Gay and Christian. You are still young and don’t have much of the religious baggage.

I must say that older generations have suffered much. When I talk to many friends, they have taken in much of the lies spoken about their sexuality, and yes, some are deeply conflicted and to me displays troubling behaviour. The more conservative they are, they more conflicted it seems. (naturally I am perturbed at the likes of Sy Rogers causing so much harm in the lives of many I know). The younger ones are relatively free from such bagages.

Live your life to the fullest, look to the bright side and be blessed. The world awaits you to be an agent of change, to be an instrument of His peace.

God bless.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 7, 2009, 11:22

great to hear from you Lamb…..its been ages

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 11, 2009, 09:43

Does Sy still stand by his original beliefs? 😯

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.046 seconds.