Forums

Taboo Topics - What do YOU think?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 13, 2008, 00:00

I know I am a lurker but I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I must say I appreciate dialogue around scripture and what we can learn about how God feels about homosexuality. I think if we taboo certain topics, these coversations would be squashed and we would be left with a group of people who just agree with each other. I think it would be a sad loss if conservative Christians didn’t share their perspectives on this site (bearing in mind that I agree it should be expressed graciously and not in a judgemental way).

I was reading the forum objectives and came across that one aim is to “provide resources that document sexual orientation from a scientific, psychological and educated biblical perspective“. It suggests to me that biblical perspective is something a lot of people are searching for here(in a safe place). Most people drawn to this site have some belief in God and/or church experiences so I think that the bible will come into our discussions … some from the perspective that it is God’s word, and others that it is not. Either way, I think that people should have the freedom to express their perspective so we can then learn from one another. Otherwise, I think that the forum should change its objectives to suggest that it is simply a support group rather than a discussion board. Just a lurker’s thoughts …

Sparrow…..nice to know you are there somewhere in the background. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

links to the “resources that document sexual orientation from a scientific, psychological and educated biblical perspective“…..are in that section. there is so much stuff out there on the net now. I’ve put the links to the ones that i feel give the simplest and most realistic explanations. If people want more than can search the net for more.

We’ve tried to steer away from the term support group as it counjours up some negative images of AA etc. We do provide support without being a support group as such for sick people. does that make sense?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 13, 2008, 00:06

Thanks Anthony! 😀 Thats a perfect example! 😆 😆

the way we say things is just as important if not more important than what we say. in a place like a forum its like body language is to communication. Nearly 80% of communication face to face is non-verbal. But the strongest element here is the the way we express our opinions and beliefs. Unfortunately it is a learned skill…..and doesn’t come naturally to everyone. Then of course there are the times we just respond because a post angers us……then for most people the the skill of writing sensitively goes out the window

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
March 13, 2008, 00:58

Nothing is Taboo… it’s how it is used that makes it a vexative issue 😡 and pushes people’s buttons. I think it boils down to how we do and state things. Paul talked about not doing things that offends people… least we cause that person to stumble… eg… if we drink and we know our brother is refraining from drinking because of his drinking problems… we don’t drink infront of him and drink softdrink to cause no offense to him… likewise we write and be aware of other people’s feelings… and word it carefully.

We all have set beliefs and values – its great to be able to come onto F2B group and not having to worry about the fact that I’m more of a charasmatic person than a penecost even though I grew up in both areas (in my Christian life) and that I can talk about anything that relates to Christianity and Gay. 😀

What I believe is that the bible contains God’s infallible word – its the interpretation that’s a problem. Look at how many version of the bible there are, then look at the fact that most people relate to the bible in modern times, then look at the fact of what Jesus said… I have this strong belief that if Jesus said absolutely nothing about Gay people implies that they were around Jesus time and he had no problems with them.

Fact – Jesus is a Jew! 😯 Fact: Jesus was also a Rabbi so I could argue that Jesus was married because traditionally and historically speaking you can not be a Rabbi unless you are married. Then the wedding where Jesus turns water to wine… uh hullo… that was his wedding. 😯 😕 😯

What I have presented is something totally within the bible and a its a perspective that incorporate a jewish point of view. I could argue that this is it. But its a perspective and yes the bible supports it too indirectly. Likewise people use Johnathan and David’s special relationship as gay couple. Perhaps Johnathan was Gay while David was more Bisexual. Hmmm 🙄

Taboo – I think its important that we remember to respect other people’s statement and beliefs and its ok to ask for clarification and add your own experience of what the topic is… then this could not become a taboo! 😉

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
March 13, 2008, 14:07

Shanti Shanti Shanti Wrote:

I think that, for one thing, I do it all the time and I think that it never seems to work . I think that, for another, if I had to start every major or minor opinionated sentence with “I think that…” I think that I would go mad(…er ).

I think that if people can’t tell when I’m stating my opinion (factual though I think that it may sound) then I think that said people aren’t very discerning. I think that it is just implausible to begin every thought with a phrase that states it is subjective. I agree that when this is not done, it sounds like a challenge, and you are inclined to defend your position – but I think that there must be a better way of doing things.

……um, really?…….

Do I even need to point out the use of comon sense here? Lets get real William, thats not what I was implying. Im pretty sure you knew that. 😕

Shanti also wrote:

If people can’t tell when I’m stating my opinion (factual though it may sound) then said people aren’t very discerning.

In many of your posts you often talk about being misinterpreted. I am constantly reading appologetic replies from you to other members because of something you might have previously said in another post. From the statement above, this is probably the reason why. 😉

Here is just a little advice, and this will get you far in life my friend…. be very careful of how you present your words, especially when you do not know who may read them. Always look at your message from an outsiders prospective. The only one who truly understands you…. is you. 😉

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
March 13, 2008, 16:30

Do I even need to point out the use of comon sense here? Lets get real William, thats not what I was implying. Im pretty sure you knew that.

I absolutely know what you meant, John, but I’m afraid that if people could have employed common sense so far, then they would have, and we wouldn’t be in this mess. It is well within our capabilities to know what we each mean in terms of what is a factual statement and what is an opinion, and that is all I’m trying to say.

Here is just a little advice, and this will get you far in life my friend…. be very careful of how you present your words, especially when you do not know who may read them.

Thank you for your advice, I am well aware of how important words are and how we can be misunderstood over even the smallest of things. The problem is that I don’t know how to make myself clearer most of the time – I take great pains to use the right punctuation, spelling and grammar, to write as I would speak, to articulate myself properly, to explain every tedious detail, to use italics rather than capitals when I want to emphasise something, etc, etc, etc. But nothing seems to work – I explain myself over and again – but I’m still misunderstood.

[sighs, shrugs] Oh well…I guess it’s that whole ‘fate’ thing coming into play again.

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
March 13, 2008, 17:56

Ok,

First of all, let me tell you that I truly believe that your heart is in the right place and that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you only have the best of intentions. You are my brother in Christ and we are to lift eachother up! Dont be discouraged William 😉 I love the idea that this is a place for healing, an online refuge so to speak. No one should feel down or feel that they are being picked on, which just leads us back to how we say things. I dont want to beat a dead horse, but might you allow me to have one more go at it? I hope that we all might be able to take something away here. I am by no means trying to criticize what you wrote in any way. Communicating how you feel through writing can be very difficult at times. 😉

I absolutely know what you meant, John, but I’m afraid that if people could have employed common sense so far, then they would have, and we wouldn’t be in this mess. It is well within our capabilities to know what we each mean in terms of what is a factual statement and what is an opinion, and that is all I’m trying to say.

Now, step back and read that again, but this time imagine that you are one of those “people” you are refering too……

Sounds a little insensitive doesn’t it? 😕

In those two sentences you implied three things that someone could very easily interpret negatively.

1. Every person who was upset over a post that they did not agree with lacked employing common sense.

2. Every person who has read your posts should instinctively know exactly what you meant as fact or opinion.

3. This whole “situation” is a “mess”.

Did you mean to imply these things in a negative fashion? Of course not! 😆

I think that the problem here isn’t that you do not communicate by the book. ie; spelling, punctuation, gramar, italics, underlines, and so on. Its just that you have to put a little more sensitvity into some of your statements. I would gather that you are a very no nonsense, ‘lets get straight to the point’ type of person, maybe even a little sarcastic at times?

I could be totaly wrong, but thats just the impression I get from you.

Basicaly, step back, and put yourself in someone elses shoes. 1) The person who is an active part of your thread and will post to your comment, and 2) The outsider who may be reading this very post right now and thinking “What mess?!?!? I was rather encouraged by all these posts! I didnt know there was a mess? Maybe I should go somewhere else…”

Sometimes, a little compassion, with maybe even a dash of senstivity goes a long way. 😉

Sandy

Joined in 2007
March 13, 2008, 19:09

I don’t want this to turn into an argument which is maybe a comment made a little late in the game but let me beat your dead horse a little more since you took the liberty.

Do I even need to point out the use of comon sense here? Lets get real William, thats not what I was implying. Im pretty sure you knew that.

In this sentence you implied two things and pretty much outright stated one that could be taken negativly:

1. You posed the question of common sense as if it was a given implying that people who are upset over any given post always employ common sense when replying.

2. You are implying that William fails to see the ‘real’ point of heart of the issue which implies that you have some kind of superior understanding

3. You have pretty much accused William of arguing for the sake of arguing (because if he knew where you were comming from why would he have said what he did?) and you are further stating that you are ‘pretty sure’ he is trying to bait you by intentionally misconstruing what you are saying.

Lets get ‘real’ about something else, it is not only William who needs to employ some compassion and sensitivity. Or alternativly conceed that you cannot police impressions or implications, they can be taken differently by everyone and are often removed from the authors intent when posting. I think your’re making a mountain out of a molehill John 😉

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
March 13, 2008, 19:22

Alright then, I can see where you are coming from, John. I still stand by what I said, but if I may I’ll try to respond and make myself clearer…?

Actually, I do see how I could have made myself clearer here. This is an example of the way I speak sometimes that doesn’t go ‘by the book,’ as you said. See, I’ve made a habit of referring to specific groups of people in the third person, ie. if I was talking about gay Christians, then I would say ‘gay Christians’ rather than ‘we’, even if I mean to include myself. In the same way, I have here referenced ‘people’ meaning ‘those who regularly post on this forum’, which inevitably includes myself – a fact I could have made much clearer.

Concerning point 1: I don’t think I implied this – I suppose I can see how you might have interpreted it that way, but there was no such intent behind it.

Point 2: I stand by this opinion. Most of the time, whether something is an opinion or not is self-evident – it helps to have an indicator, but it is not really necessary once you know what kind of person you are talking to, and what their major opinions are. If I am talking to Sandy, for example, I know that she thinks the Bible to be infallible, so when she says something like “God condemns homosexuality,” I know this is her opinion based on her interpretation of the Bible as God’s infallible Word*, and not necessarily a definite fact. Sometimes, yes, it can be hard to discern what a person means specifically, but I think such instances are fairly few, and cannot be generalised to a formula we can set out to avoid.

Point 3: Well…what would you call it? In the past week or so discussion has become (as far as I know) more heated than it has been since the site was started, and it has reached the point where we are even considering banning some topics because they are too explosive. [shrugs] I would call that a mess, but then, that’s just my opinion. 🙂

As for the rest, what can I say – you have me pegged. I am constantly criticised for being blunt – in terms of opinions and truth you could say I have a ‘go in all guns blazing’ approach – I don’t beat around the bush unless the matter is really serious. And yes, my tone of voice is perpetually stuck on ‘dry’ (of course, in writing that doesn’t always come out so well, so I refrain a bit on here). However, I have never viewed these things negatively – in fact, I regard my bluntness as somewhat of a virtue. But, perhaps, I may go over the top occasionally, and need to re-establish my boundaries.

Also, you have a good point in that I (and others) should try and post specifically as to not offend the other person, but I would say that it is quite difficult to do this because you never know what is going to upset them.

* Sorry to use you as an example Sandy, this was just the first thing to come to mind.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
March 13, 2008, 20:29

Lordy, all I can say is, it felt like I was reading an episode of Judge Judy 😆 (Im just looking at it from another aspect and in no way is this meant to be patronising. 😉 here you go a quick example of setting the tone straight & if its taken as I intended it then great if not my apologies)(ok back into hiding 😉 )

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 13, 2008, 23:53

yep……remember maggie…..you are having a break……stop peeking. 😆 😆 😆

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.103 seconds.