Forums

The message we have been waiting to hear

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 20, 2009, 15:02

Hi Everyone

Rob’s message is a step in the right direction and I do think he’s a lovely man. Apart from that, he’s still acknowledging homosexuality as a sin and I don’t agree with that. He also talks about being led back to God, emphasising, along the same theme, that homosexuality puts us away from Him. Again I don’t like that implication and nor do I relate to that. If anything, my faith became stronger and matured upon realising my sexuality. I didn’t leave God nor Him me. I left the church because they couldn’t accept my sexuality and that’s a different thing altogether.

I’m still thinking that Rob might be hoping that gay people change to non gay once they feel God’s love. That seems to be what he’s suggesting at least. If that’s the case, this is not unconditional acceptance or love.

I mean, I don’t want to put a dampner on others’ obvious enthusiasm and amazement that something positive has occurred in a major church. It’s clear that a welcome has been extended from the pulpit along with acknowledgment of GLBT (they forgot the I) people, and of course, that’s a good thing. However we’re kidding ourselves if we fail to see that it’s still conditional upon us changing to fit the church’s outdated moulds of who is acceptable. There needs to be a lot of really good biblical teaching from accurate cultural and historical persectives in order to slowly change ideas born from fear, ignorance and hate. Scriptures about homosexuality need to be used in context.

For those who are interested, the film ‘For the Bible Tells Me So’ would be an excellent place for Christians and others to start. I think it was really well done. Following this, I’d recommend some solid bible study with a reputable university/school, such as Harvest, with ‘hermeneutics’ (looking at the whole of scripture) as the first step to really beginning to uncover the riches of the bible.

Ann Maree

sman

Joined in 2009
October 20, 2009, 15:12

You know I was so emotional listening to this from him. When I challenged him a year ago I never thought it would come to this. He was the right person because his heart is for people. He has many gay people in his church and Im sure after this many more. I have sent a few friends his way and they now attend his church because he makes it a safe place.

Well dont to Rob and to his church for being Jesus to the world.

The message you can download it off Itunes people so it wont disappear. My question… Who’s next?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 20, 2009, 15:38

Hi Ann Maree….I’ve listened now several times to Robs message. I didn’t actually hear him saying homosexuality is a sin. From what I heard I believe he was first of all saying that everyone are sinners….whether they be gay or straight….its a human condition. Then I think he went on to make the point that homosexuals are not worse sinners than heterosexuals…..which we know many people in churches have concluded because they never got close to the GLBT community.

what do others think?

From working in this area for several years now….I’ve discovered that if you come from a theological/biblical perspective first…..you usually hit a brick wall….or it is a very long and arduous process. I always work on the attitude first…….once that changes dialogue in other areas is easier and less adversorial. …..and in some cases…even becomes almost inconsequential.

I can’t speak for Rob…..but I think that is the path he has taken….an acknowledgement that we need to love and accept everyone into the church, no matter what their gender, ethnic background or sexual orientation and we certainly shouldn’t single out a particular group like the GLBT community for special condemnation.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 20, 2009, 15:40

What a wonderful message and so powerfully delivered!

hey pentratropics……great to ‘hear’ your voice. Are you still out on the sticks?

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 20, 2009, 15:54

I didn’t hear Rob make any judgment calls on whether homosexuality is sin. I heard him say that we are all sinners gay–straight–young–old or indifferent. He called sin a human condition and also said he was not going to get into a discussion of whether the bible says homosexuality is sin because he believes enough has been said.

I found his message both encouraging and affirming. I’ve only listened to it once, and I admit I might have misheard something, but I am also cautious about reading into it, anything ‘implied’ rather than just hearing what was

said. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 20, 2009, 15:55

Hi Anthony

I think it was still implied that homosexuality is a sin, or at least, left to be ambiguous.

I agree with your comment that attitudes need to change but how does that happen? I know from my work as a Nurse Counsellor that it occurs very slowly. I could suggest an excellent experiential exercise that I was involved with in London, and participants were definitely changed for the better in regards to their attitudes toward the GLBTIQ community. Good education is another way to slowly change attitudes. The true bible and holy book scholars that I’ve met have been the opposite of what you’re talking about. They haven’t become stuck because their enquiring minds have kept them learning. I do think personal experience has to be a part of transformation though, not just based on book knowledge.

It would be interesting to hear further views on how to change attitudes.

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 20, 2009, 15:59

Hi Meg

I could be wrong of course. My computer wouldn’t let me listen to the message in its entirety so I may have missed something. I only read what I could on his church website (and this may not have been the full message either).

If someone can direct me to a place where I can access all of it, maybe my opinion might change?

Cheers,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 20, 2009, 16:09

Hi Ann Maree

If you go to the link below

http://www.baysidechurch.com.au/index2.php?option=com_podcast&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1

If you see where the page has a link that says:

Media files

877RealChristianityisAccepting17-10-2009pm.mp3 (MP3 Format Sound, 33.8 MB)

Right click with the mouse on that link, and then select save link as that will download the audio file onto your computer.

I hope this works for you. I managed to download the entire message by doing that.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 20, 2009, 16:15

Thanks very much Meg. I’ll try that now and let you know how I get on.

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 20, 2009, 16:19

It may be that my computer is quite old or that I am not gifted in this area but I can’t seem to do it. When I click on the link, a whole page of writing comes up and I’m not given the option to save anything.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.113 seconds.