United Church of Christ ads

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 1, 2010, 10:26

sman

Joined in 2009
February 1, 2010, 11:01

Thats the type of ads which I wanna see. I love the second one where they push a button and eject em. I love the humour in it all and the message was touching too.

Thanks for sharing em man.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 1, 2010, 11:20

no sure of the history of that second ad…..but i know initially it was banned.

sman

Joined in 2009
February 1, 2010, 11:58

Yeah you can see why it would be banned.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 1, 2010, 12:05

I like them. Very well done with a touch of humour thrown in to really punch the message home.

I can imagine the second one being banned, initially.

It calls to mind the passage of Scripture in James 2:3-6

wrote:

If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 1, 2010, 13:59

here is some history for anyone interested.

In December 2004, the television network CBS sent a letter to the United Church of Christ, explaining why a new ad campaign of inclusiveness — carrying the slogan “Jesus Didn’t Turn People Away. Neither Do We.” — was rejected for broadcast. CBS does not permit any ad that “touches on and/or takes a position on one side of a current controversial issue of public importance,” UCC leaders were told. So why, then, is the network now accepting an ad from Focus on the Family, which paid around $2.5 million for a pro-life ad featuring Univ. of Florida quarterback Tim Tebrow?

Maybe because CBS is hard up for cash, and anyone willing to pay its rates for a 30-second spot is kosher to them. (Especially since the ad rates are down from last year’s estimated $3 million per 30 seconds, which NBC charged.)

But this is more than a question of whether a network like CBS should approve or reject these types of ads. It’s whether they’ll stick to their own policies in the future. CBS told UCC at the time it had “a longstanding policy of not accepting advocacy advertising.” That long-standing policy, it seems, has disappeared. (Given that we haven’t seen the FOTF ad, we’re going off what the group has said publicly about the spot, which indicates it will be very clearly pro-life.)

And since CBS is willing to stampede all over its own self-imposed restrictions, it has us wondering whether CBS would accept an ad from the Human Rights Campaign promoting federal marriage equality. Alright, then would CBS accept a similar ad, from the National Organization for Marriage, arguing the exact opposite?

Worth remembering in all this: Super Bowl ads are not about the spots themselves — which Madison Avenue considers ineffective on a dollar-for-dollar basis — but about generating publicity. And it’s clear that all the talk about this one ad is doing more for FOTF’s cause than the 30-second spot might manage.

http://www.queerty.com/cbs-banned-this-united-church-of-christ-ad-but-it-okd-a-pro-life-ad-for-the-super-bowl-20100125/

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 1, 2010, 16:23

I really like those ads and would go to a church like that! 🙂

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 1, 2010, 20:32

While I appreciate the humour in the ads, I think it also shows the courage of that church to pull no punches in telling people that they’re really welcome. I can feel the genuineness in those ads, and yes Meg it does remind me of that scripture you mentioned in your post.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.