Forums

Very hurt and confused.

Page: 1

Mags

Joined in 2012
July 29, 2012, 14:52

Went to my parents' Church Sunday-Service today, which was really hard as I knew they come from a Pentecostal Church. Everything was going fine until after the service. Someone said to me that you can't love God and be a lesbian too. Are you willing to throw away your life on a feeling?

Very hurt and confused.

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
July 29, 2012, 15:06

I am sorry you have been hurt and are confused 🙁

That is their opinion though…it doesn't have to be yours…some people are ignorant about homosexuality sadly….just hang on to what you know is right 🙂

Mags

Joined in 2012
July 29, 2012, 15:15

Thanks so much for your kind words

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
July 29, 2012, 15:22

You are welcome 🙂

sarab

Joined in 2011
July 29, 2012, 16:52

Hi there Mags

Sophia is right.

Some people are ignorant.

The words this person has used with you are thoughtless and indeed ignorant.

I wonder if this person has thought about their own heterosexuality as a "feeling" – more likely they would say it is "just who they are".

In essence they are suggesting that by beng who you are that you are "throwing your life away". No wonder you feel hurt and confused.

As for loving God – last time I checked there was no caveat on anyone gay, lesbian, straight, – or whoever – loving God.

It's hard to know how to respond to these statements – especially when feelings of hurt overcome and overwhelm. Wiser people than I suggested that I just not engage with debate with this sort of stuff, and instead, aim to seek out people who are more likely to be supportive and affirming. I will pray that you find people like this in your life.

Hang in there,

Sarab 🙂

jamesn

Joined in 2009
July 29, 2012, 17:04

Mags

sorry you have been hour but remember: one person does not make a church! for every negative word of condemnation there as many positive words of encouragement!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 29, 2012, 17:54

Hi Mags

I agree with all the comments on here. And as Sophia said, this is just one person's comment and she doesn't seem to know what she's talking about so you don't need to take it on board. Sarab said it well here:

Sophia is right. Some people are ignorant. The words this person has used with you are thoughtless and indeed ignorant. I wonder if this person has thought about their own heterosexuality as a "feeling" – more likely they would say it is "just who they are". In essence they are suggesting that by beng who you are that you are "throwing your life away". No wonder you feel hurt and confused.

As for loving God – last time I checked there was no caveat on anyone gay, lesbian, straight, – or whoever – loving God.

It's hard to know how to respond to these statements – especially when feelings of hurt overcome and overwhelm. Wiser people than I suggested that I just not engage with debate with this sort of stuff, and instead, aim to seek out people who are more likely to be supportive and affirming. I will pray that you find people like this in your life.

Remember – our sexual orientations are not 'a feeling'. They are much more complex than that.

Have you contacted any of the organisations I posted for you as links in the following post?

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/looking-for-someone-to-have-a-conversation-with-t1973/

The more you reach out to positive others and interact with them, the less you will hear these kinds of comments and the less they will affect you when/if you do.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.