Forums

Worship Leader found the Way back Home, Even if I'm Gay

Page: 1

Jayindieburg

Joined in 2008
April 29, 2008, 22:17

Hi, As a child I went to the Episcopalian church became an acolyte. At age 13 my parents started going to the baptist church and I was fully involved with the music ministry and youth. At age 18 I was filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues at a non-denominational youth service. Needless to say I couldn’t keep quiet in the baptist church so i started going to the Assemblies of God church in my town. Moved away and went to Southeastern Bible College of the Assemblies of God, Got married, then finished my music degree at World Harvest Bible institute in Columbus Ohio. 6 years into my marriage and two kids all I started to have a breakdown. I had known all my life I was attracted to the same sex. Yes, I too went under the casting out of demons through my teenage years, denouncing the devil and his grip on me. Plagued by feelings of self loathing and wondering why God didn’t take the feelings away. I still would lead worship and still know the Presence of God in a wonderful way. Needless to say a divorce came. I’m estranged from my children, my son wants to know why i do this it embarrasses him. He wanted to know that at age 9 now he is 14. I still haven’t spoken to him or my daughter who is now age 10. On the up side, I have found my way Home to God. I know that I am Loved. I’m currently attending an MCC (Metro Community Church) And I’m struggling with my Spirituality because of the abuse I use to take in the church. But I do know….God will make a way when there seems to be No way.

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
April 30, 2008, 01:51

HI JAY!!!

Welcome to Freedom2b[e]!!!! So good to have you here and read your story. Certainly sounds similar to mine and so many others on here. That is horrible that you have had to be estranged from your own children. I do not have children however I am dealing with my own immediate family who still looks at me like I’ve “strayed from the fold” and have some sort of “disease”. A lot of us have deep emotional wounds unfortunately afflicted on us by our own family. I love this forum because at least you know that you are surely not alone and that there are other people who are in the exact same shoes as yourself. I hope being on here can help with your own journey of healing. This is certainly a good place for that. 😉 I look forward to hearing from you on here. Its so good to have a new member to share their own experiences and thoughts. 😀

God Bless,

John

Jayindieburg

Joined in 2008
April 30, 2008, 06:58

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. One thing I read today which really helped me a lot is that…our orientation is not a choice but morality is a choice. Even though i’m in a church that is accepting of people who love God and that are glbtiq….a lot of them are there for social reasons and sometimes I can’t believe what I hear coming out of peoples mouth. Not that I’m judging but I don’t think Jesus had a potty mouth or lusted after his brothers. I’m there to experience God. He is all I need. If he sends me that special someone great it will be awesome I’m sure…but until then, God is my All and the Love of God is all I need. Again thanks for the encouragement and I’m looking forward to the discussions. 😛 🙂 😀

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 30, 2008, 07:46

Hi Jay 😀 its awesome to have you with us and thankyou for sharing your story. Their are quite a few Dads here so you certainly are not alone in that area and its always a relief to know that people know where you are coming from. Im glad you found a church to go to, I know the States has more glbtqi churches than Australia (not sure where you are) but there are more springing up here and of course the churches that are at least silently supportive can be found by word of mouth.(in my thinking any support is a positive step in the right direction) Looking forward to hearing from you more. 😉

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 30, 2008, 11:47

hi Jay…..great to have you in our community. Welcome.

gathering all these stories its often amazing how similar they all are. I think we could all write the same book and all we would need to do is change the names and places. All the events would be the same though.

thank God things are changing for GLBT young people in some churches.

that statement of mine “My morality is a choice, my sexual orientation however isn’t” has brought clarity to many people……even the leadership of the Assemblies of God here in Australia and is refelcted in their new statement on homosexuality.

Imagine if we had known that at an early age. My life would certainly taken a different path.

i think its good as you say not to judge others morality………in essense the only person I need to be concerned about is myself.

Hope to hear more from you….I think you will fit in well here. Have you checked out our target market doc yet

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.028 seconds.