Faith, sexuality and gender identity can be a difficult mix for many people. freedom2b seeks to help LGBTI people wherever they are in their journey by offering peer support, informational resources, and referrals to professional services. You can read our support policy here.
Individuals and organisations which are able to offer professional support are listed below. For more specific information on various aspects of faith, sexuality and gender identity, please refer to the Welcoming Churches, Faith-based Networks, Biblical Perspectives, Sexual and Gender Identity, LGBTI Organisations, and Family & Friends pages.
Psychologists & Specialist Counsellors
The following individuals are known to freedom2b, and have particular expertise in dealing with issues surrounding faith, sexuality and gender identity. Charges may apply.
- ACT: Terese Hutchison Terese is a former board member of freedom2b and still visits us regularly. She is now based in Canberra and can be contacted on 0421 646 011
- NSW: Dr Lindsay Duncan – lin-mind.com
Lindsay has practices both in the Sydney CBD and Blue Mountains.
- NSW: Dr Stuart Edser – nph.net.au
Stuart heads a practice in Newcastle. (02) 4952 9777
- NSW: Raina Jardin – rainajardin.com
Raina Jardin runs a practice in Surry Hills, Sydney.
- VIC: Rev Matt Glover – mgacounselling.com.au
Matt runs a practice in Melbourne, and uses Skype for interstate/overseas clients. 1300 38 50 20.
The costs of counselling by private providers can be covered by the Australian Government’s Medicare program in some circumstances, such as for people suffering serious depression. Assessment by a general practitioner and referral is necessary. Details are can be seen on the Dept of Health website.
The following organisations are specifically listed here for their offerings of counselling and support. For more LGBTI organisations which offer a wider array of services, please see the sexual & gender identity support page.
- NSW: HopeStreet – Urban Compassion – hopestreet.org.au
HopeStreet is known for its specific knowledge of issues facing LGBTI people of faith.
- NSW: Gay & Lesbian Counselling Service of NSW – glcsnsw.org.au
GLCS NSW supports LGBTI people in NSW by way of telephone counselling and group get-togethers
- QLD: Gay & Lesbian Welfare Association – glwa.org
GLWA provides Queensland LGBTI telephone counselling services.
- SA: Gay & Lesbian Community Services of SA – glcssa.org
GLCSSA provides counselling and information on sexuality and sexual health for South Australians
- TAS & VIC: Gay & Lesbian Switchboard – switchboard.org.au
The Gay & Lesbian Switchboard provides telephone counselling to LGBTI people in Tasmania and Victoria.
- WA: Gay & Lesbian Community Services – glcs.org.au
GLCS WA serves LGBTI people in Western Australia. It offers counselling, training and workshop courses, as well as links with other local groups.