Australia is home to a number of organisations in all states and territories that cater for LGBTI people. These offer a collection of services that can range from social gatherings to workshops and counselling services. Note that most AIDS councils now focus on much broader issues than their names might imply, and offer a wide range of LGBTI services.
- Coming Out Australia – comingout.com.au
With workshops in Melbourne and a website made for the whole country, Coming Out Australia is a great online destination for those looking for information on both the closet, and exiting it.
- ACT: AIDS Action Council – aidsaction.org.au
The AIDS Action council contains support and information for LGBTI people living in and around Canberra, on top of the health and wellbeing services.
- NSW: AIDS Council of NSW – acon.org.au
ACON is the largest LGBTI health & support organisation in NSW. They offer a range of services from mental & sexual health to community care & housing across Sydney and regional NSW. They also host freedom2b’s monthly meetings in Sydney.
- NSW: Twenty10 – twenty10.org.au
Twenty10 incorporating GLCS works with and supports people of diverse genders, sexualities, their families and their communities. They have regular social gatherings, workshops, and plenty of information for young people and parents alike with Specialised Youth Support for people aged 12-26.
- NT: Northern Territory AIDS & Hepatitis Council – ntahc.org.au
The NTAHC focuses largely on the prevention of blood borne diseases, but also offers other LGBTI services such as education and raising awareness of transgender issues.
- QLD: Queensland AIDS Council – quac.org.au
QuAC is an independent community based health promotion charity that tackles wider health issues for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and intersex Queenslanders.
- SA/NT: Gay and Lesbian Community Services SA/NT – glcssa.org.au
GLCSSA has details of LGBTI events that are on in SA and NT.
- TAS: Tasmanian Council on AIDS, Hepatitis and Related Diseases – tascahrd.org.au
TasCAHRD promotes physical, mental and social, health and wellbeing in Tasmanian LGBT communities.
- VIC: Victorian AIDS Council – vac.org.au
VAC and Gay Men’s Health Centre offer support and health services for gay men in Victoria, with a big focus on HIV/AIDS in particular. They also host freedom2b’s monthly meetings in Melbourne.
- VIC: Minus18 – minus18.org.au
Minus18 is a Melbourne-based support network for LGBTI people under 18. They run dance parties, workshops, and run projects – and are all about connecting and empowering young people in a safe space.
- VIC: Switchboard Victoria – switchboard.org.au
Switchboard provides free, confidential and anonymous telephone counselling, referral and information for Victorian and Tasmanian LGBTI communities and their supporters.
- WA: Living Proud: LGBTI Community Service of WA – livingproud.org.au
Living Proud serves LGBTI people in Western Australia. It offers counselling, training and workshop courses, as well as links with other local groups.
- WA: The Freedom Centre – freedom.org.au
The Freedom Centre is a peer support group run for LGBTI youth under 26. They provide support for sexual and mental health.