Forums

21 Sydney Guy - Confused

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
June 14, 2010, 09:24

Hey 24hourclock… I haven’t been on the site that much recently, but I decided to drop in and when I saw your thread, I knew I had to personally reply to it. You and I, we gotta talk.

I’m an 18-year-old missionary kid. Right now, I am on a tour with my family visiting churches across the United States and Canada to raise money for our mission work. My parents have Bible schools, a tribal ministry, youth camps, an orphanage, and on and on. I’m their gay son. I’ve been through all of this stuff that you’re talking about – the discontentment, the shame, the self-hatred, the fear. Talking about things to lose? For years, I thought my coming out could destroy my parents’ ministry, get myself kicked out of school, and force our family to leave the country! I understand and sometimes, I feel the emotions again – not as strongly, but sometimes they come back. It’s life. But listen, I can understand how you feel… and my heart right now is absolutely to just help you out. I would love to talk with you more. You sound afraid, but let me tell you, you come across as far more sharp than you are afraid. I have faith in you; you’re going to make it through this time. Now, don’t get ridiculous, you’re not going to end up some place where you never have another fear ever again or a place where everybody is happy with you – but it will definitely be a night and day improvement once you make peace over this issue. I have a lot of things I would like to say to you, but at the moment, not a lot of time. I’ll be praying for you and I’ll give you contact information in case you want to talk more. God bless.

poidah

Joined in 2010
June 14, 2010, 11:02

Hey 24hourclock,

I thought I would come from a different angle. I do feel that the assumption that happiness resides in the heteros, the good looking, the rich, the smart, etc etc etc is quite false.

The straights along with all gays struggle to find that they want to be in life. So many pretend to be happy in their jobs but are deeply unsatisfied and stuck due to financial reasons. Sad are those life that is poorly lived and experienced.

Everyone struggles with self acceptance and learning what the true self wants and is. It is perpetual battle for all of us.

This is not to minimise anyone’s struggle of being gay and coming out. Being gay is such a clear line and segregation that can cause so much hate and anger that it is such a high barrier.

I feel that this struggle is perpetual, it is growth and part of life. Every new person I meet I have to negotiate who much to come out to them how much to trust etc etc. But that is the same with everyone really. 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 14, 2010, 11:33

Hey 24hourclock… I haven’t been on the site that much recently, but I decided to drop in and when I saw your thread, I knew I had to personally reply to it. You and I, we gotta talk.

I’m an 18-year-old missionary kid. Right now, I am on a tour with my family visiting churches across the United States and Canada to raise money for our mission work. My parents have Bible schools, a tribal ministry, youth camps, an orphanage, and on and on. I’m their gay son. I’ve been through all of this stuff that you’re talking about – the discontentment, the shame, the self-hatred, the fear. Talking about things to lose? For years, I thought my coming out could destroy my parents’ ministry, get myself kicked out of school, and force our family to leave the country! I understand and sometimes, I feel the emotions again – not as strongly, but sometimes they come back. It’s life. But listen, I can understand how you feel… and my heart right now is absolutely to just help you out. I would love to talk with you more. You sound afraid, but let me tell you, you come across as far more sharp than you are afraid. I have faith in you; you’re going to make it through this time. Now, don’t get ridiculous, you’re not going to end up some place where you never have another fear ever again or a place where everybody is happy with you – but it will definitely be a night and day improvement once you make peace over this issue. I have a lot of things I would like to say to you, but at the moment, not a lot of time. I’ll be praying for you and I’ll give you contact information in case you want to talk more. God bless.

love your work gettingthere 🙂 🙂 🙂

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 14, 2010, 13:01

Hi 24 hourclock

I liked your catalogue of reasons given in response to Chris about why you hate being gay- and I’m afraid they are all true to some extent. It’s hard to believe that some people believe that we would “choose” the “lifestyle” that you describe!!

But given that we don’t have a choice about our sexual orientation, we do have a choice about what how we address it. And you are doing just that- through dialogie on here, as well as a heap of other things, I’m sure.

And we do care about you- in real life as well as on line. We’ve been there- and come some way through it. And life is greener on the other side of the fence.

Ian

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
June 14, 2010, 21:18

– It will change my relationships, particularly with other guys…

– My parents, while they are great, will be so upset…

– I hate the stereotype that comes with being gay…

– Where do you even meet gay guys?

– If I am to come out, I will be asked to leave my church…

My point is, that being straight would make life so much more simple, but yet, I can’t change it.

Perfectly understandable. I think aside from the last point, they all mirror many of my own concerns when I was trying to work it all out. The last point was a bit of a non issue because I’d stopped going to church back when I was in my mid teens. For many other people here though, that was actually the single biggest problem they faced, so I count myself somewhat lucky.

I guess for me, I ended up deciding that the only way I could move forward positively with my life was to start working through the issues, and focusing on what would actually make me happy. I surmised that I would need a partner, acceptance from my friends, and also from my family. It seemed like a long shot, but three years on, I’m 24, and I’ve actually made it on all three counts. I’m also back in church every week, which was an unexpected addition that I’m really enjoying.

Now, I’m not saying that others all end up having a fairly easy time like I did. Let’s face it – I lucked out. But I think that if you’ve got a fairly good idea of ‘where you’re at’, then the next logical step is to ‘find a way forward’. And as Ian mentioned above, I guess you’ve already begun, since you’re here. As with many things in life, things can become a lot clearer when you start sharing your thoughts with others.

Anyway, I’d highly recommend you do come to the Youth event later this month – I’ll be there. Ben will be there. Did I mention I’ll be there?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 14, 2010, 21:55

Hi again 24hourclock

Yes the reasons you give for hating being gay are all significant and ones that I have related to in the past, albeit as a woman. Except the one about being asked to leave the church since that had already happened for a different reason.

On a positive note, you’re already meeting gay guys here. And hopefully you’ll go along and meet the Sydney bunch. I’m sure they’ll make you feel very welcome. And who knows, maybe they might even dispel some of those stereotypes..(What gay stereotypes were you referring to BTW?)

Anyway, you’re very welcome here.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

24hourclock

Joined in 2010
June 15, 2010, 00:40

Hi gang. Just been doing some more thinking today after reading some of these replies.

Another big reason why I hate being gay is that doing teaching, i’d really love to be able to teach in a christian school and get involved in the christian side of things, but being gay will definitely mean I can’t be involved with that. Well, being openly gay will. Especially in anglican schools where I would love to go.

Second thing. Obviously on this site, you guys are all about being gay, being open about it, and being able to reconcile being gay with your faith. But I can find just as many sites which are the complete opposite, which offer these programs to beat it out of you, or forums which tell stories of people who WERE gay and are now ‘cured’ or ‘healed’. How is a guy meant to judge truth around here, when everyone claims to have it, and most arguments are (often suprisingly) convincing?

Some of you have said that it would be better for me to come out now, rather than later in life when i’m like 30 because it’ll hurt more people then etc etc. To be perfectly honest, I’ve never really planned to live that far into the future so I’ve never considered that. I see your point however.

Then there’s others who have come out at 18 or younger and I feel like I’m way behind in my ‘development’. How can 18 year olds be more confident and brave to do this while I’m here at 21 still struggling along with this pathetic kinda stuff.

Chris – if you’re gonna be there, I’ll definitely be there, haha. I’m just wondering whether we’ve spoken online before actually but maybe on another site – possible?

Ann Maree – I don’t mean to be rude by this at all, but who are you? You seem like an important person on here maybe? Gay stereotypes, where do I start!! The way they dress, the way they talk, the way they do their hair, the way they choose to have only girl friends (fag hags), the way they sleep around, how they will crack onto anyone with a dick, that they are ‘weaker’ then straight guys blah blah blah. Now, i’m not saying this is the reality, but often these things fit gay guys. I’m sure that I even fit some of these things anyway. I also hate how often gay guys seem to ‘change’ to fit this gay stereotype as soon as they come out – ive seen it too often.

Just a few more thoughts.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
June 15, 2010, 01:08

24hourclock, before, I would’ve been one of those people urging you to come out as soon as possible. But recently, I’ve had some experiences that have caused me to change my views slightly. Now I’d say, only you know what is best for you. The number one thing you must realize is being gay has in no way negatively affected your relationship with God and it never will. God knew you’d be gay before you were born, before he sent Jesus to die for you, before he even created the world. Everything God did for straight Christians, he did for gay Christians as well. I’m sure you know this in your head, so why am I telling you this? I’m telling you this because you’ve got to realize your relationship with Christ is more important than your sexual orientation. God will help you navigate these waters. I don’t know what kind of answer you will ultimately decide is right, but no matter what, you’ve got to be putting God first. He is more valuable than any sexual orientation can ever be.

Secondly, you are NOT behind developmentally. Think about Moses. He was 80 years old when he found the burning bush and started on the path that would make him lead the Isrealites out of slavery. He spent 40 years between the time he was exiled from Egypt to the time he found the burning bush. I’m sure in that time he probably felt like a screw-up who missed out on God’s will. Eighty years old – compared to that, you’re a child. Yet God chose to reveal himself to Moses when he was old instead of when he was young. Why? Only God knows. But there is no such thing as ‘too late’ with God’s timing. Don’t look down on yourself. What it means is simply that God’s plan for you is different than God’s plan for me.

When you talk about gay stereotypes, I think I understand. The reason that is, I believe, is identity. Those people base their identity off of their sexual orientation rather than on Christ. Therefore, they look to others who do the same thing when deciding how to act or or think or talk or dress. All this copying each other leads to stereotypical behavior. You however, I believe you want to base your identity off of Christ. Therefore, you will look to Christ or the Bible when making those same decisions.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 15, 2010, 10:24

Hey 24hourclock

I just received some very encouraging news from a friend who is a teacher. She was feeling incredibly burdened by being a lesbian and working as a teacher in a Christian school. She was planning on leaving and so went to the school priest to tell him why. Contrary to what she expected, he was not at all homophobic and said he preferred her to stay and that he wanted to create an environment of diversity. He said he wanted her to be part of that! She now feels like a huge weight has lifted off her shoulders and is completely affirmed. So unexpectedly good things can happen, even in Christian environments. (I can message you her details if you need more info).

Oh and in answer to your question, I’m a moderator on this site and so play quite an active role here.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 15, 2010, 15:21

Just want to reassure you 24hour……that no one here would pressure re coming out when where how etc…..we are very respectful of each persons journey…..all this is your decision…..we just offer our own experience.

Re teaching in a Christian School……we have teachers on the forum……some out…..some have to keep their sexual orientation under wraps ATM.

how do you know who is telling you the truth about these things……..it will only be by educating yourself…..scientifically and theologically. Seems like you have been surrounded by some pretty negative stuff about being gay and the gay community. Hence the stereotypes etc.

I think a lot of church leaders have a lot to answer for by perpetrating things such as the supposed ‘gay lifestyle’ etc. When that is all a young person hears in church then they decide to accept their sexuality they believe they only have one option. this is false. The bible is clear about bearing false witness. the way many christians speak about gay and lesbian people is a clear breach of this verse……..in the majority of cases they dont actually know any gay or lesbian people.

When you read those other sites…..I think you will find that no-one actually claims to no longer be gay and have become heterosexual.

there are some articles on this in the ex-gay section of this site that might be useful. Have you read my article on situational heterosexuality?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.083 seconds.