Forums

44 Year Old, ex "Evangelist", out of the closet and moving on....what to tell my teenage boys ?....

Page:   1 2 3

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 15, 2010, 14:57

Johnno

I can completely identify with your thoughts and experiences. If I could turn back the clock, then I would prefer to be in your position than the one that I ended up in just on two years ago. i.e. you have some control of the situation.

I think having someone walk through this experience with you- and provide you with support, and help you clarify your thinking and decision-making would be really helpful. And that’s probably not best done in this kind of forum. Not that I am trying to push you away from here- but we can provide a different kind of support for you. Just my personal opinion- others may have different ideas.

I know gay guys who are open and stay in their marriages- some have posted on here. You do have that option available to you. I think you’ve identified the right question- what is the best for everyone?.

Yes, the situation may not be ideal- but you can only start from the point you are at now. And you can only move forward.

If you’re in Sydney and want to get together for coffee then please send me a private message. I also visit other capital cities on an irregular basis.

Ian

jayz

Joined in 2010
June 15, 2010, 19:07

Hi Johnno1965

I have heard it said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. As an ‘in the closet’ married gay man who is so far behind you in this ‘coming out’ journey…perhaps the one thing I do know is that suicide creates a bigger problem for our families than working through very difficult problems.

Research into suicide shows that our children and their future children are at greater risk of suicide themselves if we take that course. Although I feel sick with anxiety everyday at the moment because I have all this ‘stuff’ to work through I know my kids (and there kids) will need me in the future. I know that the problem / challenge will not last forever. I have been through some really bad stuff that I have alluded to in my story…but I did come out (no pun intended) the other side.

I guess it will take some people awhile to come around to the idea that a family member is gay…when that finally happens it will make it so much easier for present or future family members to acknowledge that they are also gay.

Maybe it is harder for those of us who are first….but I bet we will not be the last. I know that is is hard, even very hard but you will get through this difficult time. Perhaps you can get to the monthly meetings (ist Friday of each month if your in Sydney).

It really does sound like you need to connect with someone outside just the text of this forum. I am sure AVB and others will know the best people / resources for you.

anyhow I am thinking of you and praying for you.

jayz

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 16, 2010, 00:41

Hi Johnno1965

I want to reinforce the guys’ comments above. Suicide is never really a solution especially when family members are left behind to deal with the mess. Johnno, you are going through a really difficult time but let’s put things in perspective. Being gay is not the worst thing in the world and you will not always feel this badly. And if you kill yourself you will never really know what you were capable of, what strengths you had and what others were capable of. I agree with jayz’s comment too, that your example of dealing with this, will enable others to face their issues, whether they be related to sexuality or something else. You can do it, Johnno1965, and especially with the right supports.

I also agree with Ian and jayz that it would be really good for you to talk to a professional outside of this forum as well as accessing our community. There are a few ways to go about this and I or avb are happy to discuss further if you would like to send either of us a private message.

Sometimes when we are faced with a major crisis, we tend to feel cornered or like we have no choices. In fact that is rarely the case. I was in a dire situation last year and was reminded by a wise person that no matter what, there is always more than one way to do something and always a solution. And it was true and the problem passed. And sometimes as Ian suggested, there are less orthodox possibilities that we may not have considered, like maintaining an open marriage for instance. (Not that that would be suitable for everyone and it really depends on how you and your wife feel about it. And please note that I am not advising one way or the other, just using that as an example of thinking outside the usual options we may limit ourselves with).

Anyway, for now, just know that you are stronger than you think you are and this too will pass.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 16, 2010, 18:52

the only thing that stopped me from taking my life the night before I did the public confession in front of the church was the thought of what that would do to my children.

here is the extract from that chapter….I think it probably says it best.

After dinner on Saturday night, knowing that tomorrow would possibly be the darkest day of my life, I had to do something to escape the pressure and get out of the house.

‘I’m going for a walk. I’ll be back in about an hour,’ I said, trying to ignore the fear on Helen’s face. Will he return home, will he kill himself, will he call Jason, or will he have sex with a man again? She knew that in my state of mind there was a very real possibility of any of these happening. I walked passed the shops, down on the beach then up to the top of the bluff called the Skillion, a rock formation with a sheer drop of several hundred feet. I’d left the street lights behind but standing in the darkness on the cliff’s edge there was enough light to make out the white froth of the wild surf breaking on the rock ledge below, and thought of the people who’d taken their lives there. Sitting on the edge of the cliff I cursed the day I was born. I cursed my homosexuality I’d tried to change all my life but had now destroyed me. All I would have to do was stand up, take a running leap and it would be finished in a manner of seconds; the final thud on the rocks would end my suffering. I knew the Catholic church taught that suicide was a mortal sin which meant going straight to hell but I was hoping that my God was a bit more understanding and forgiving. For half an hour I weighed up the outcomes of either jumping or facing the consequences. My death would be a cowardly act relieving me of my pain but would only create more heartache for my family. Surely they’d suffered enough. As I walked back home I wondered if I had the courage to do what must be done tomorrow.

……and I hope you are glad I didn’t ease my pain through suicide……because then……there would have been no book……no freedom 2 b[e]…..etc etc.

Johnno1965

Joined in 2010
June 19, 2010, 03:30

I spoke with my wife on Wednesday and we have decided to seperate, as amicablly as we can. It is the most gut wrenching decision that I have had to make , but I believe that it is the best. She needs to be in a realtionship where she can feel what it means to be a woman and to experience true intimacy, the way God intened.

I believe that if we remain together, it will only cause more emotional damage and cause further hurt and pain.

I will be speaking to my boys in the next few days and letting them know. I want them to hear from me so that they can understand what it means to live a true and authentic life.

I think that being in a position to be able to plan things rather than drag things out will help us both move on in the long run.

I so badly dont want to break up my family, but remaining in our current situation is not healthy and is only delaying both of us beggining the new chapters in our lives.

They say that time i the best healer………

4JC

Joined in 2007
June 19, 2010, 04:07

“She needs to be in a relationship where she can feel what it means to be a woman and to experience true intimacy, the way God intended.”

Is a interesting positive thought Johnno. It has something positive. I hope you can find intimacy to.

jayz

Joined in 2010
June 19, 2010, 08:32

Hi Johnno

I admire your courage and the steps that you have taken to get this far. I am encouraged by your journey and I continue to pray for you and your family.

IanJ

Joined in 2009
June 19, 2010, 09:40

Johnno,

A big step- and I respect you so much for taking it- and in such a positive way.

Having been through those steps within the last 2 years- without planning or support, and doing it a much less than ideal way- my thoughts and prayers are with you.

No one wants to ‘break up a family’= but sometimes we put a very big burden on ourselves to meet this ideal- and did God intend that we should conform to the modern idea of a family, even if it is hurtful and damaging to those in it (despite our best efforts)?

love and prayers

Ian

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 19, 2010, 10:51

Hi Johnno

I’m sending positive energy your way. And remember that you have all of our support here at f2b.

I’m praying it goes as well as possible with your boys.

Keep talking to us.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 21, 2010, 17:16

I spoke with my wife on Wednesday and we have decided to seperate, as amicablly as we can. It is the most gut wrenching decision that I have had to make , but I believe that it is the best. She needs to be in a realtionship where she can feel what it means to be a woman and to experience true intimacy, the way God intened.

I believe that if we remain together, it will only cause more emotional damage and cause further hurt and pain.

I will be speaking to my boys in the next few days and letting them know. I want them to hear from me so that they can understand what it means to live a true and authentic life.

I think that being in a position to be able to plan things rather than drag things out will help us both move on in the long run.

I so badly dont want to break up my family, but remaining in our current situation is not healthy and is only delaying both of us beggining the new chapters in our lives.

They say that time i the best healer………

I think for some of us we do come to the realisation that to remain in the marriage is cruel to the heterosexual partner……even thought they don’t see it at the time.

Sometimes it takes us to be the courageous one and release them to live as God intended….to be married to a heterosexual not a homosexual.

When we both push our boats off from the shore…..we have no guarantees of where that journey will take us or if that involves a partner for either of us…….but personally I’d rather have that journey than both of us living in no mans land.

thinking of you all at this difficult time.

As the bible says there is a time for everything…..I time to weep a time to morn a time to sing a time to dance. this may be the time to mourn.

Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.