magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
August 21, 2008, 17:36

Thats kinda cute and southern 😉 😀

sojourner

Joined in 2008
August 21, 2008, 18:10

These people really should be at palms with us— with moves like that they’d totally fit right in 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 22, 2008, 23:33

the music definitely has some disco rythymn to it.

Reminded my of Gloria Gaynor

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 23, 2008, 00:20

Oh boy…that brings back some memories! 😆

straight-friendly

Joined in 2008
August 23, 2008, 18:03

Sure takes me back–we don’t see this nearly as often in the States as we used to. It made me laugh (and cry a little bit) for joy!

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
August 23, 2008, 19:07

Welcome Tim 😀 glad to have you with us.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 23, 2008, 19:42

Sure takes me back–we don’t see this nearly as often in the States as we used to. It made me laugh (and cry a little bit) for joy!

Bit of a time warp moment for me to Tim.

glad it made you laugh…..I had a chuckle……sorry to make you cry.

BTW….welcome….i think you are our first chicagoan.

OutPentecostal

Joined in 2006
August 30, 2008, 11:07

How seventies 😆

straight-friendly

Joined in 2008
September 2, 2008, 16:27

Thanks for the welcome, all!

You’re right, avb, it is a bit of time warp. But when our churches–especially the AOG–got all “charismatic” in the Seventies, they lost a precious thing. There WAS something supernaturally uplifting in abandoning pride and self-consciousness to ecstatic praise. All of sudden it seemed to evaporate. Our songs grew more lulling. Our upraised arms dropped to half-mast. And our altar services were drive-by, up-and-down codas, rather than open-ended opportunities to tarry until we “prayed through.” Now, for the convenience of the many, the few who really needed to wait at the altar were shuttled off to a back room while the rest of us decided where to go for pie and coffee.

Corny as it looked and was, it was real, sincere, and oddly pure by being oblivious to keeping up appearances. In the old days, when the church rose up in praise, we’d say “the Holy Ghost fell” on the service. If you’ve ever experienced it, you never forget it. But around here these days, it’s a good bet that most Pentecostals haven’t had the chance in the last 20 years or so.

Where it DOES happen regularly, though, is in our African-American churches. Now they’re called “praise breaks” and they can be spectacular–particularly in larger churches, like the one I attended while living in LA, West Angeles Church of God in Christ. (A Youtube “praise break” search pulls them up by the boatload.)

Now that I’m a Church of Christ boy, when I get homesick for some first-rate rejoicing, I sneak off to one of the black Pentecostal churches in town. And I’m never disappointed–those folks don’t play!

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.