Forums

A Conversation...

Page: 1

mrg

Joined in 2010
April 27, 2010, 22:13

I know I haven’t had a chance to share my whole story on here yet, but I will get to it!

But in a nutshell, I’m an ordained Baptist minister who has been interacting ‘accidently’ with the GLBT community for the last 15 years or so, but more intentionally over the last couple. I’m currently writing a thesis on “a pastoral approach to the homosexuality issue in the church” in the hope that there can be more open and honest communication between the gay and church communities, more understanding of the issues in each by each, and a recognition that we’re on the same side!

I’ve really enjoyed my involvement with the gay community and have made many good friends over the years. I had a great time at the Melbourne F2B meeting last month and hope to be able to support the group as much as I can in the future.

I guess I see my role in the conversation between the church community and the gay community is one of a bridge builder, with just as much effort required on the church side as there is on the GLBT side. Fortunately, sharing my own story and those of many of my gay friends in my current church has stirred something within the congregation and there seems to be a genuine interest in some to explore the conversation further.

The most frequent thing I hear from church people though is, “I don’t know any gay people. I don’t know where to meet any. And I’m scared I wouldn’t know what to say if I did!”. (Of course, they DO know gay people. They just don’t know it. That’s a topic for another day…).

Anyway, I was chatting with my intern today, who is very keen to be part of the conversation and we thought about organising a dinner or get together of some kind where perhaps some of the Melbourne folk from the forums here would be willing to meet with some of the people from my church, and simply share stories together. Not a biblical/theological/moral debate, but just a time to say, “This is me and this is my story….”

My questions:

1. Do you think this would be worthwhile from your point of view?

2. Melbournites, would you be interested in being part of it?

Hope all is well with you and those you love,

MRG

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
April 27, 2010, 22:34

Wow.

That sounds awesome. I’m not in Melbourne myself but if I was, I’d certainly be going along to such an event.

I imagine there will be LGBT people who don’t feel up to such a thing – just as there would no doubt be church-goers who also wouldn’t. But I’m sure there would be plenty on both sides who would be keen to participate in the hope of building bridges and gaining a better understanding of each other. And positive reactions from both sides could well spur even more people to go along to later events!

It seems like a hell of an opportunity…

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 27, 2010, 23:08

I think that’s really great, mrg. I’d be interested in coming along. 🙂

IanJ

Joined in 2009
April 27, 2010, 23:42

wow mrg!

That’s a great idea.

I only came out in the last 18 months after being in a Baptist church for over 30 years. I didn’t meet anyone I knew was gay until I was in my late 30s.

As I am sure you know, it’s easy to have negaive thoughts, and even demonise, those whom we have never met.

Our home group (all gay/transgender) has sometimes speculated on how ‘normal’ we might be considered, if we had a joint function with other home groups (straight) that we’ve been in.

I think it’s an excellent way for open-minded Christians to bridge the gap and communicated with LGBT people who are willing to have that conversation!

I’m not in Melbourne either- but I am sometimes down that way.

Ian

IanJ

Joined in 2009
April 27, 2010, 23:43

It seems like a hell of an opportunity…

ehemm!! I think you meant, a heaven of an opportunity!!

🙂

Ian

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 5, 2010, 15:58

you might find this useful for conversations……I presented this is quite a number of places where people have found it helpful…..hope to be down in Melbourne soon and will present this as a part of my seminar.

http://gayambassador2.blogspot.com/

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.