Forums

Anglican Church Grammar School bans gay partners at formal

Page:   1 2 3

Andrew Jones

Joined in 2008
April 18, 2008, 14:58

Ignorance prevails in the religious schools in bucket loads.

They acecpt the funding from a secular government but can’t keep up with society imposing there own laws. Anti-discrimination is rife among religious schools it would seem. They employ gay staff and admit gay students but somehow educational facilities are the exclusive domain of heterosexual folk. Bolix!

These gay students are living normal lives and deserve to be respected in spite of the protocols and decorums. Hensman is peddling jurasic rhetoric! He needs to allow his gay students to be themselves. You don’t need board approval to do that Mr Hensman just good common sense.

sojourner

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2008, 02:12

lol, lets see how much ‘decorum’ the world would have if we were to take all the gay men out of the fashion, design and creative arts industries :P…

And really, thats what I find really infuriating about this story -they haven’t even attempted to justify this ban on the grounds of their religious ethos (unlike the catholics, who atleast have the decency to say so). Instead its apparently just bad decorum… For me it just goes to show that for many people gay relationships are only objectionable on the grounds that they are ‘unconventional, against societies norms and perpetuate bad decorum’ and religion is just thrown in as the nail in the coffin of their prejudices towards gay men/women… This actually kind of surprises me a little… I honestly though private schools (and an Anglican one at that, I perhaps wouldn’t be surprised if they were exclusive bretheren… actually on second thought if they were exclusive bretheren, we wouldn’t have heard this story- what with the kid being locked up for ‘corrective thinking therapy’…) were a little more progressive than that== this school must really be one of these snooty, upper-crust, stuffy elistist institutions…

I would almost be willing to concede that they may have a case under anti-discrimination legislation if it was baned under relgious guidelines- private schools are given a number of other freedoms to effectively discriminate- my mum was denied employment at a Christian community high school for suggesting that she would not push Creationism forward as the best scientific explanation for our origins- not a pleasant experience, but still, it is a free world and I believe to a certain degree part of that freedom means allowing people to teach and promote their own beliefs– Only that, in this situation there is going to be a hugely negative effect on the poor kid and at the end of the day, thats the person who the law and schools should be looking out for the most…

I also can’t get over the hypocrisy and double standard of this decision- I’m sure these schools would have no issue with a girl/guy taking a heterosexual partner, with whom they have premarital sex (ie, 50-75% of people who actually go to these schools)- Really, from a conservative biblical viewpoint this is a relationship held to be just as immoral as a homosexual relationship, yet, we can’t allow the latter… its just…. bad decorum??

Give me a break…

Chris

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2008, 05:21

lol, lets see how much ‘decorum’ the world would have if we were to take all the gay men out of the fashion, design and creative arts industries …

LOL!!!! 😆 😆 😆 AMEN BROTHER!!!!

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
April 19, 2008, 09:52

I also can’t get over the hypocrisy and double standard of this decision- I’m sure these schools would have no issue with a girl/guy taking a heterosexual partner, with whom they have premarital sex (ie, 50-75% of people who actually go to these schools)- Really, from a conservative biblical viewpoint this is a relationship held to be just as immoral as a homosexual relationship, yet, we can’t allow the latter… its just…. bad decorum??

Give me a break…

Thats what gets me too, they say lots about pre-marital sex, yet they arent against boys bringing their g/f’s or girls their b/f’s which they are sleeping with.

We are a minority in comparison to them and easier to target and pick on the way I see it.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 19, 2008, 11:19

we are easier to control……there are less of us. 😆 😆 😆

oooooo

Joined in 2006
April 20, 2008, 16:54

well as far as religions/christian schools in Qld not having problems with students being gay, one of the schools i worked at until they found out about me has actually asked students to leave who confessed they were lesbians and would not accept counselling, prayer and deliverance. Unfortunately, i am not surprised by the schools reaction but do agree it is outrageous. I dare say, they have forgotten about the motto that became so famous in the christian and secular world some years back – ‘What would Jesus do?’

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
April 21, 2008, 04:52

I dare say, they have forgotten about the motto that became so famous in the christian and secular world some years back – ‘What would Jesus do?’

Amen brother!!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 21, 2008, 23:23

well as far as religions/christian schools in Qld not having problems with students being gay, one of the schools i worked at until they found out about me has actually asked students to leave who confessed they were lesbians and would not accept counselling, prayer and deliverance. ‘

that is incredible OOOOOO…..I know some people who are doing research in this area. that is incredible cruel. God knows what that sort of treatment would do to the students who had to leave and the those who stayed closeted. The messages they are giving to young people is not one that would be a positive sense of self. Was this a public statement to the school?

oooooo

Joined in 2006
April 23, 2008, 22:59

it was announced from the pulpit but alot of people know it, my daughter knows the girl that was asked to leave

oooooo

Joined in 2006
April 23, 2008, 23:00

sorry i meant to say it was NOT announced from the pulpit

whoops

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.