Forums

Ben 20 - AOG Christian young man is coming out

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

luke_18

Joined in 2008
June 17, 2008, 18:29

heya Ben…

if you’re thinking bout coming to the friday night catch ups then you definately should. they’re great for so many reasons. good times.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 18, 2008, 09:52

hi Ben…..I dont think anyone has asked yet about if your parents are christians………that would influence the way you tell them and how to go about it.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
June 18, 2008, 11:53

Hey,

Thanks again all for your encouragements and warm comments. Definitely making a difference!!

My parents are both Christians. My Dad is a more liberal and recently converted Christian and my Mum has been a Christian for as long as I remember but she is very conservative. I don’t know how they’ll react to be honest. I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Mum knows that things have been hard for me for a while and she constantly tells me that no matter what she will always love me. That is a positive sign but I doubt she knows that I am gay.

My Dad would probably blame himself which is why I am a little scared to tell him. I am his only son and the possibility that he might blame himself is almost too hard to think about. I’ll have to make sure that I constantly re-assure him that this is not his fault. We have never been close and I am scared that this will tear us further apart.

My sister is a very old school fundamental Christian. She is amazing but at the same time after my cousin announced she was gay (only a few months ago) I’ve heard my sister constantly recount how homosexuality comes out of ‘brokenness’ and how it is not acceptable. It’s strange and I can totally understand as this is how I used to think. Maybe I can show her the truth and what it means to be a Gay Christian.

I fully believe that if I speak out of a position of confidence, humility and respect that my family and friends will take it better. I am also excited that they’ll get to see the real me for once. 😀

These next few weeks and months will be difficult but I will not back down. God is by my side standing with me for truth and justice, walking each and every step with me. Teaching me new things, blessing me with compassion and helping me unlearn many things. Jesus is my guide, my strength, my rock. The God that I had once blamed for all of this has always been my liberator and my refuge. I just took longer to see Him for who He really is.

After praying many years that he would change my sexuality and wondering why he didn’t answer. I know that it was not because he didn’t care but rather he loved me for who I was. “How can I change you if you are beautiful just the way you are”. I am fearfully and wondefully made by the Creator and Saviour of the universe as are all of you. 😀

Ben.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
June 18, 2008, 12:54

These next few weeks and months will be difficult but I will not back down. God is by my side standing with me for truth and justice, walking each and every step with me. Teaching me new things, blessing me with compassion and helping me unlearn many things. Jesus is my guide, my strength, my rock. The God that I had once blamed for all of this has always been my liberator and my refuge. I just took longer to see Him for who He really is.

Hey there Ben.

You mind if I put this up on a banner somewhere in six foot high letters? That is one of the most brilliant and inspiring paragraphs I’ve read in a long time. Romans 8 kind of stuff.

There are so many things you’ve talked about that I can relate to – although you seem to have been moving along the path a lot faster, seeing how it took me until last year at the age of 33 to come out. I can’t begin to tell you how joyous it makes me to read that you know who you are, and you know that God is on this journey with you.

Plus it helps remind me of the same thing.

– Trevor

luke_18

Joined in 2008
June 18, 2008, 16:40

wow. agree with orfeo… amazing words! im encouraged.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 18, 2008, 17:10

these are the stories we have been waiting for……young people coming to terms so early in life……and not wasting years and years of needless self hatred, useless attempts at a heterosexual marriage and living with an undermining belief system that tells them they will never make the grade.

Bring on more and more stories I say……from all age groups…but especially from the youngin’s

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 18, 2008, 23:47

its good to be prepared Ben. One way you can do that with parents is that you can you referral networks ready if you need them.

One of those for your parents is PFLAG. http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/ Have you heard of them.

I dont mean you come out and tell MUM and DAD……and then say…..here is a support group…..you SHOULD go.

Hehe…….that wont work.

I just mean its good to have these things when you need them. Get my drift?

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
June 19, 2008, 00:10

Once more I am overwhelmed by the kindness and support shown to me at this site. Thankyou!!

Anthony, thanks for the tip. =) I’ve heard a bit about PFLAG and will do a bit more research on them. Will definitely mention it to my parents but don’t know if they would go. But we can always hope. 😀

One of my mum’s good friends has a son my age that came out only about a year ago. I know that it was hard for her and maybe my mum could find support from her.

I am really looking forward to the Freedom 2 b[e] meetings and am planning on coming to the next one. First Friday in July yeah??

Oh and I also managed to join your mailing list Anthony. Plus I’ve been reading all about the 100 Revs and that some of you marched in the Mardi Gras. Great stuff. 😀

Shotgun87

Joined in 2008
June 19, 2008, 00:50

Sounds like the hillsong church is the place to meet hot guys ( winks at luke ) haha apparently the F2b meetings aren’t. hey ben i so agree with you!!! being gay is hard but its worth it . God loves us no matter what and you should never doubt that cause to me every relationship has flaws without these flaws there would be no such thing as a great relationship

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 19, 2008, 01:48

You’re welcome Ben……that is why we are here.

Looking forward to meeting you face to face.

Our monthly chapter meetings are always the first Friday in the month.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.