Forums

Bi Christian growing up in rural Australia

Page: 1

jreyno19

Joined in 2012
December 11, 2012, 10:00

Hello freedom2b community,

I have been on your mailing list for some time and have been regularly checking your website and liked your facebook page. I am a 19 year old bisexual christian, who came out mid last year after hearing about the church ordaining two homosexual ministers in the city. I live in a beautiful town along the Mid North Coast of NSW called Nambucca Heads halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, I have been attending a small Uniting Church congregation which I enjoy.

Before coming out I didn't know what people would think, but the experience of coming out has been better than I thought. Before I decided to come out I spoke to other Uniting church ministers in the area, and they where fairly accepting of me coming out. I knew the Uniting is accepting of LGBTI as it states it is in its constitution but each individual church is different.

Anyway, one day after church, I decided to tell everyone while we were having a cuppa. Some where really accepting, some didn't care and others treated me slightly differently, but I didn't care. The biggest hurdle about coming out as bi is that there really isn't much support in a rural town. Most of the support is in the big cities. Most of the affirming churches and LGBTI groups in Australia are in the cities. I have met gay Christians, including some who hold ministerial positions in churches, but they are in the big cities too. Next year I am attending an event in the city run by an LGBTI church. Most LGBTI Christians who grow up outside the cities usually leave the church or move to the city as there is more support.

I am currently studying a degree in Coff's Harbour and enjoy it a lot. I have two more years left, which should go quite quickly, but most likely I will be moving to the city after I finish my studies so I can get involved with gay christian groups, meet LGBTI Christians and attend an affirming church.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 11, 2012, 23:08

Hi jreyno19

Welcome to f2b and thanks for sharing some of your story! 🙂

It's great that you found us. How did you hear about f2b?

I take your point that most LGBTI supports are in the cities but have you tried googling to see what supports might be in your area or closer to you at least than the major centres?

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

jreyno19

Joined in 2012
December 12, 2012, 16:01

In the post I was referring to more of a Christian support of LGBTI people. There are LGBTI groups in my area that meet up on a regular basis but none of them I can have any really spiritual (Christian) talk with on matters like being Bi and Christian (as LGBTI and Christian shouldn't be used together). None of them have ever attended a church or will ever read a bible and probably most of them would never even think of going to a church. I found out about freedom2b when I was searching for information over the internet on information on LGBTI Christian issues.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 13, 2012, 00:40

Hi again jreyno19

Thanks for clarifying.

There's not many Christian and LGBTI groups anywhere. The gay christian network is another organisation and there are contacts in QL and VIC affiliated with them, not sure about NSW but you could contact them and ask. Have you tried googling them?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 13, 2012, 11:53

hi and welcome. There is quite a strong LGBT community in Lismore. I also have a friend who does a lot of work in the LGBT community in Coffs Harbour. Actually organised the annual festival. His name is Todd Buttery. send him a friend request on facebook and tell him I sent you. https://www.facebook.com/todd.buttery

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
December 17, 2012, 21:10

Hi jreyno19,

Big welcome to F2B, Sorry I haven't replied before now, been very busy in the home life in the last few weeks. I'm sure reading the stories of the amazing people on this forum will give you hope and encouragement. Many on this forum have struggled with finding like minded Christians they can fellowship and be themselves with. Hopefully their stories will inspire you.

God Bless

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.