Forums

Brisbane/Gold Coast

Page: 1

jess-93

Joined in 2013
June 1, 2015, 11:22

Hi all.

I've noticed there are a couple of you who are wanting to get involved with the Brisbane F2b group. I, too would like to get involved and meet some of you.

I propose that while we wait for an update on the Brisbane chapter, that any of us between the Coast and Brisbane who want to catch up informally, post a message up here. Maybe put a tad of info about ourselves here, and a rough idea of your location (if you feel comfortable of course), so we can organise to meet somewhere that works best for everyone. Maybe we could meet for coffee, lunch, go to a park. Anything really, it's about the people not the activity.

I really look forward to meeting some of you. It'd be really nice to meet with fellow Christians who aren't going to judge me or tell me I'm living as 'an abomination'. I'm sure some of you can relate to these unfortunate and negative responses from fellow churchgoers.

I'll post a little about myself as a reply.

jess-93

Joined in 2013
June 1, 2015, 12:00

G'day again.

So I'm Jess. I'm 22 (in 10 days), and a full-time Uni student. I'm half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

I'm studying Psychology with a focus on research. My end goal is to conduct research on a range of factors involving the Australian foster care system, and how to improve the adjustment and life outcomes of children within the system. I really appreciate the stable upbringing I had with my family, and can't imagine having lived without it. So I want to conduct research on the foster system to improve the lives of those with a less fortunate upbringing than myself.

In my free time I like to research (surprise), get together with friends and family (very important), and spend time with children (my 9 nieces and nephews). I like adventure, and I'm keen to try new things. I am beginning to realise though, that I'm not a child anymore. I'm starting to get injured when I BMX or surf on the flooded lawn with the kids. And, I'm at that age where I probably shouldn't go to a playground with my mates unless I have a child with me :p Despite this, I do think it's important to enjoy the little things, the pleasures in life that children so readily enjoy, and adults learn to become indifferent to.

I have also been very much involved in a church (until recently). I spent a lot of time there going to a mentoring program, helping out with the kid's band and working as a leader in Sunday school. However, I recently opened up as being gay and am no longer suitable to be around the children. This has freed up time for me, which I'm using to reconnect with friends, family and the community. And, has also encouraged me to get back on f2b to connect with others who may be more accepting 🙂

I planned to write a couple sentences, and then it grew. My apologies if this constitutes over-sharing.

I look forward to heading your stories, and meeting some of you!

Jess.

Shane Cathcart
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
June 9, 2015, 13:34

Hi there Jess, thanks so much for your post and don't worry about over sharing. Please write as much as you like.

I'm one of the chapter leaders in Sydney, so I am not too sure what is happening in Brisbane and I haven't heard anything from the board.

There is another thread regarding freedom2b Brisbane, however it hasn't been updated for a little while.

In terms of organising an informal get together, I think that would be a great idea. I have included a link to the other thread below so you can see who else have asked about Brisbane, perhaps some of them would like to be involved to?

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/brisbane-f2b-t2418/

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.