Forums

Calling all ex-gay survivors!!!!!

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 12, 2010, 11:16

Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras 2010

Freedom 2 b[e] Celebrates the Survivors

People who are same-sex-orientated often feel societal and family pressures to resist, reject or deny their true feelings. This pressure to conform and live as heterosexuals is much more intense for those who come from faith backgrounds and Christian churches, as the belief system says that acceptance or rejection of their sexuality has eternal consequences. Struggling to change can be private and internal, through one on one personal counselling or support groups. Some of us have even gone to the extremes of exorcisms, ‘ex-gay’ programs or marrying, believing this will solve our ‘problem’. The journey to find resolution and self–acceptance for gay men and lesbians from Christian backgrounds can be torturous and even traumatic.

There is NO scientific evidence that people can change their sexual orientation and mental health professionals have warned of the emotional and psychological dangers of attempting.

This year, Freedom 2 b[e] (a network of people from Pentecostal, Charismatic and Evangelical backgrounds) celebrates the journey survivors have travelled to rid ourselves of damaging and outdated beliefs. Beliefs that said homosexuality was a sin, sickness or the result of a dysfunctional family upbringing. We are no longer victims of our own or others ignorance.

We invite all those who have been through any form of ‘ex-gay’ therapy or counselling to join us this year in the parade. Family members and friends are welcome to join us in support.

Marching in the Mardi Gras parade or a Pride march is often an empowering experience and an opportunity to put the shame and the ‘demons’ of the past to rest by publicly declaring that we are out, proud and love being who we are; lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

Our message is a positive one; celebrating our journeys to resolution and self-acceptance. By marching together we also send a positive message to people in churches who are still locked in a prison of self-hatred.

Accepting our sexuality, coming out in a supportive environment and embracing being gay or lesbian, sets us free.

For more information please email [email protected]

General inquiries and to register your interest in marching with us please send an email to [email protected]

Unsure about the importance of participating in the parade? These articles may be helpful.

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2009/01/mardi-gras-and-pride-celebrations-to.html

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2007/03/divine-moment-in-mardi-gras-parade.html

DavidLG
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
January 27, 2010, 22:56

Yes Anthony I am a survivor lol and free fro mthe stress of tryign t odecrease my attraction lol and over being told im broken and deep issues etd ETC

If i get the courage i wil ljoin u guys i nmarching up oxford ST

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 28, 2010, 22:46

the great thing about marching with us topgun…..is that you will be surrounded by lots of wonderful people who genuinely care….and are there to support and encourage you…..and of course many of them have been through the same things you have.

Still takes courage…….but always easier surrounded by all that positive stuff.

I always say to people marching for the first time……..’the person you are at the end of the parade is very different to the person you were at the beginning.’…….its actually quite a spiritual experience…..who would have thought.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.046 seconds.