Forums

Christian Wicca...opinions on this statement please.

Page:   1 2

October 11, 2010, 20:38

Thanks for the interesting responses 🙂

RaulG

Joined in 2010
October 12, 2010, 06:01

Querida familia,

Truthfully, God is beyond gender. God (at least according to the Oral Torah and Rabbinical Literature) is neither male nor female, but rather beyond the limitations of such terms (hence why the name given to Moses is “Yahweh” or “I AM” as opposed to “HE WHO IS” or “SHE WHO IS”. The only reason God was referred by a male gender identifier was due to the cultural norms at the time (which was widespread though out the entire ancient world across cultures, faiths, and worldviews, werein people of power, even when female were referred to as male).

Personally, I don’t see a problem with you referring to God as male or female (nor would any mainline church, theologian, or philosopher). After all, this is a case of limitations of human language trying to explain or speak to the unlimited and the infinite. So no worries. 🙂

Now what you are describing (faith-wise) sounds more like a version of Gnosticism (to my ears at least). The idea of separate genders representing equivalent in power but different divine beings and concepts is pretty close to one of the Gnostic variants.

Yours In Christ,

Raul

October 12, 2010, 09:20

Thanks RaulG… Very well put 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 12, 2010, 17:13

Thanks Raul. Always great to have your wisdom. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 12, 2010, 21:03

i think you may find, if you investigated earlier versions/writings of the old testament, that God had a stronger female aspect than how the bible states it now …

another unfortunate example of people’s interference with “Holy Scripture”

but that is another story/topic

This might be slightly off topic, but I wonder how many of the translators of the original King James bible were female?

If they were all male, then could that also contribute to the patriarchal bias we often see in fundamental Christianity?

October 13, 2010, 10:40

Good point Pierre, lol.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
October 15, 2010, 19:51

i dare say the men doing the translating had a lot to do with it

but not just the king james version

you would probably find men doing the translating has had alot to do with translations throughout the ages from the original times of the writings, as cultures morphed, attitudes changed and therefore so too the translating of scripture

October 17, 2010, 23:18

Probably true…food for though eh.

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
March 30, 2011, 01:37

🙂 What an interesting thread :bigsmile:

I love how everyone weaves their thoughts and explore all avenues and present other interpretation that actually support people. When I first read that first section I was kinda thinking… oh what is this thing… and then it starts to grow on me a bit as I read more and more… in the Deaf Community.. God as the father is a very difficult concept because the mirroring of our own father was rather a negative experience … our father either left us or remained in the distance and not with us because of their own embarrassment.

So in the Deaf Community most of the powerful people that proactively supports us are females… so in many ways I can relate to God as our femine personal qualities is positive.

Thanks for such an interesting thread.

Craig.

March 30, 2011, 13:42

🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.054 seconds.