Forums

Compass series on Sex, Faith and Marriage

Page: 1

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 22, 2010, 23:38

Starting tonight on ABC the Compass program has a 5 part series on Sex, Faith and Marriage ABC 1 from 10:15PM tonight.

mrg

Joined in 2010
August 23, 2010, 00:20

Tonight’s one was fascinating!

I loved how the Muslim lady had a score card for potential husbands, but gave her eventual choice ‘special consideration’!!

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 23, 2010, 02:03

I found it really interesting to look into the cultures of the three faiths they represented tonight, and the Muslim lady’s method of selecting her husband was sweet. Loved how she said when she first considered him he scored 67 out of 70 on her ‘exam’ but now he scores 110.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 23, 2010, 23:49

Thanks for posting the link to the website, I was planning to do that, but hadn’t gotten around to it yet. 🙂

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
August 23, 2010, 23:51

and remember, all the compass episodes are on the abc website for a few weeks after the broadcast if you want to check it out.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 24, 2010, 09:17

I love shows like this one. As divine guidance would have it, I happened to tune into the program by accident and found it of great value.

I thought the muslim lady and her husband looked really genuinely happy and well matched. And the man didn’t seem to mind that he was only a 67 at the start! I guess he thought he was perhaps less likely to disappoint, having the room to improve. On the other hand, if he was scored as a 100 from the beginning, the chances of disillusionment would no doubt be higher. I like that other cultures like theirs are focused on the process of relationship rather than the start only. We westerners could learn a lot from that. The orthodox Jewish woman made me laugh. Watching her and the Jewish community prepare for the sabbath reminded me of living in Golders Green in London. It was always a mad scramble getting to the shops before they shut for sabbath. It was good seeing the hindu representation too.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 24, 2010, 11:47

I thought the muslim lady and her husband looked really genuinely happy and well matched. And the man didn’t seem to mind that he was only a 67 at the start! I guess he thought he was perhaps less likely to disappoint, having the room to improve. On the other hand, if he was scored as a 100 from the beginning, the chances of disillusionment would no doubt be higher. I like that other cultures like theirs are focused on the process of relationship rather than the start only.

I have often thought that other cultures’ process of making arranged marriages where partners are selected on the basis of how much they have in common, rather than that whole ‘we’re in love, so lets get married’ system we seem to favour is a lot more sensible and practical. You’re choosing someone you will spend an awfully long time with, so shouldn’t you be more interested in whether or not they like your favourite activities and share most of your beliefs and values rather than just focussing on the sexual attraction?

As the Muslim lady said, she decided that if she shared a lot in common with her husband, the physical attraction would come later. It made sense to me.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 24, 2010, 13:33

Yes it makes sense to me. And research on arranged marriages show they generally have good success rates, in terms of lasting the distance and also for being happy unions.

I personally would want sexual chemistry at the start however, as for me, it doesn’t bode well if that’s not present. I totally respect the other lady’s perspective though, especially as she seemed to be so true to who she was. That was a joy to see. I think that’s the most important thing – to be true to our own deep, varied needs and values.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.041 seconds.