Forums

Decided to share my thoughts on the same-sex marriage vote for NZ

Page:   1 2

J

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 01:04

Although only a small step, I decided to take a stand for equality today and send an email to all the members of the New Zealand parliament building to let them know how I feel about the importance of saying yes to same-sex marriage. I have now sent 121 emails – taking me a total of almost 2 hours to edit and send them all :-/ but it was definitely worth it. Lots of 'copy & pasta' and changing the names ha ha 🙂

I really take to heart the saying by Margaret Mead:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

It's true.

And I think it is time that I start saying something, even if nothing comes of it. Who knows, Some might even listen, change their minds or bring it up in parliament? 🙂 I have nothing to lose and everything to gain anyway.

J

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 10:43

Wow, I have had four emails already so far – replies usually take weeks, even months, for most MP's simply because of the shear volume of emails they get on a daily basis. I am absolutely stoked. They're all positive – one email even saying

I was always going to vote for marriage equality anyway but you have articulated my reasons for doing so beautifully. Thank you.

!!!!

<3

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 12, 2012, 11:22

Hi Jordan

I was always going to vote for marriage equality anyway but you have articulated my reasons for doing so beautifully. Thank you.

Wow! That's really heartening.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 15:22

😀 I just received another two emails within the last few hours too, both saying they will support the bill and they thanked me for the lovely email!

This feels amazing. I am so glad I did it.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
August 12, 2012, 19:09

I've had an interesting – and Sad experience this week which adds ANOTHER dimension to my feelings about Gay Marriage.

This is not really my story to tell and although I have seen the HUGE emotional heartbreak involved I am am deliberately changing things a bit to obscure the identity of people involved and Ive left out some details (so please dont nit pick)

There was a person – who was married many decades ago. That couple had a child – but they broke up.

The person moved states and through an unfortunate event contracted HIV and then later AIDS.

However they Survived and the new medications came along however like many of the people from that era – they had long term health issues. The person found support in a same sex relationship – and so had the same partner for over a decade – and passed away last week.

However – the spouse – the child and the grandchild ignored this person for all that time.

The person never divorced their first spouse. They couldnt marry their current partner so they didnt see any point. Although there was great hurt due to the cold shoulder shown by their LEGAL family – they were supported by they Same Sex family.

However – after death – the grandchild inherited everything. Drove into town – shut out all the friends and threw out all this persons things – including keys to other peoples houses. and furniture that had been promised (in writing) to other people.

More importantly – there is no closure for the partner or the friends.

Now I will note – that part of this is the deceased's fault – but I suspect if they had been able to marry their current partner they would have – and this Horrible heart breaking situation would not have happened.

It does make me wonder how often things like this and unexpected side effects happen because people cant marry ?

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
August 12, 2012, 19:31

Jordan – what you have done is so impressive. Challenges the rest of us. One day – and soon, we hope – you will be able to claim that you were part of forcing change … change which will remove so much (direct and indirect) pain for people. Congratulations.

J

Joined in 2012
August 12, 2012, 21:11

Thanks you guys <3

I too wonder how much heartbreak has gone on for far too long. A few weeks ago I heard about this tragic story. It was about these two guys who were madly in love, and one of them took his own life. The guy who really loved him was completely shunned by his boyfriend's family because they only found out he was gay and they wouldn't accept his sexuality and his boyfriend. They also didn't even invite him to his funeral. He was completely cut off. It breaks my heart and all the other countless stories that go unheard.

I hope that one day we can all look back on these sorts of things and think 'Wow. We made it. Through all the adversity and heartbreak. We're finally free.'

Sending the 121 emails makes me wonder why I hadn't done it any sooner. There was nothing stopping me, and it wasn't like I was going to be put in jail or killed for giving them my opinion (although stranger things have happened in today's society). It makes me wonder if I should send even more emails to people. If I can just change one person's perspective, it is all worth it.

I've had a total of 8 emails so far today of the 121 that I sent. 6-7 of the 8 emails said they will support it, although 1-2 said in a vague and formal manner that they will vote on the bill (could just be a polite way of saying they're voting, but they're not voting in support of it, but that's fine, they're completely entitled to their opinion 😛 I'm just glad I did this!)

J

Joined in 2012
August 14, 2012, 10:36

I decided this morning after reading an amazing email from one of the MP's encouraging me to go further, that I am also going to make a submission to the New Zealand Parliament for the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill when they take submissions from the public 🙂 wish me luck in writing the most important letter of my life (Well, possibly with the exception of my coming out letter I gave to my parents last month ha ha).

This could very well change some minds!

<3

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
August 14, 2012, 10:42

Great – Go for it !

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 16, 2012, 07:26

Well done, Jordan! 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.096 seconds.